Guitar Room ideas

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1 21 gigawatts, Sep 11, 2020.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The leather benches in the center of the room are actually storage benches, they open like a treasure chest or a toy chest. I like them because they have no armrests that will interfere with my arms when I’m playing. I also like drum thrones for the same reason. I think the big one was about $120 at target and I think the small one was $100. They are filled with cables and adapters and cords and all of the stuff that would normally clutter the room. They are great for sitting and playing and they really hide a mess of cables.

2. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It depends on the size of the room. My gear is mainly in an alcove of our bedroom and due to GAS became a limiting factor. I started with the StringSwings and just ordered their Multi-Guitar racks to make better use of space and to get all my guitars off the floor. Amp stands can be had at any online supplier...easier to clean under, but I previously used cedar shims, rubber doorstops, etc.

I used a plain jane bar stool for years, but now find a regular height chair more comfortable (when sitting). A couple of music stands (so you may have one for standing and one for sitting) are useful.

Get long enough cords to move around your whole area without unplugging or setting the guitar down.

I have a smallish set of plastic drawers on wheels for strings, patch cords, and general stuff...and shelves for pedal boxes, etc. I place desiccant bags in my cases when they are not in use.
    IMG_7687.JPG
    We are looking at another house...if we go there, it will have a dedicated room. My plans are to do the walls in a combination of faux brick and acoustic panels to isolate some of the sound.

3. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

This is the corner I use. The room itself is a home gym but there's only a treadmill in there for that use. I also have my workbench and attached desk in another corner. All of the guitars and amps in the pic are now gone and replaced by others except the Kustom sitting on top of the Crate.

[​IMG]

Current stuff (sort of, green guitar also gone)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  4. DaveHarris

DaveHarris TDPRI Member

5. Ted Keane

Ted Keane Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

6. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

That's essentially what I did, and it worked out really well. (See pics in my post #35) I live in an old house (1925), so who knows where the studs are... I made a 1x6 rail that completely wraps the room, secured into each stud with screws and plugged with wooden plugs, and chamfered the edges on my router table. The rail enables me to mount my guitars anywhere, rather than relying on stud location. Rock solid, and gets the guitars off the floor space.

GuitarRail_1.jpg GuitarRail_2.jpg GuitarRail_3.jpg

rexhunta, havlma1 and Peegoo like this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

NICE work, Chuckster. That looks really pro.

I used oak with milled edges to accomplish the same result. The thing to keep in mind is spacing to accommodate solidbodies and larger hollowbodies and acoustics:

[​IMG]

Chuckster likes this.
  8. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

Good suggestions. Keep them coming.

I spent all weekend cleaning/ reorganizing the room. I finally have it as clear as it is going to get; it actually looks like a room for the first time in the 7 years that we have lived here.

I have a 6ft x 3ft of corner wall space cleared for my guitar stuff. I'm going to hang 3 guitars, 2 framed patent prints (Tele & LP), and have my 2 amps underneath. I marked the stud locations (16" center) on both walls which comes out to 3 studs on one wall and one on the other. I am still debating on whether to hang 2 on one wall and one on the other, or to hang all 3 on the one wall staggering the height to fit. Either way will be expandable. I am leaning towards staggering them now, so my 8 year old son can reach his mini strat.

9. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

That is a Great idea!

studio1087 likes this.
  10. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have an acoustic hanging downstairs in the TV/living room, and a few more on a wall in the dining room, but in what I'm using as my "music room" (a spare bedroom upstairs) I just have one Strat hanging (early Jimmie Vaughan), and two amps ('69 Champ and '90 Super 210). I put a low sleeper couch with no arms in that is great for playing, have plenty room to stand and play, and a Bluetooth speaker that I can play Youtube backing tracks from my phone on.

Have stopped switching guitars all the time, and really enjoy that Strat. Focusing more on playing, rather than obtaining or messing with gear now (other than servicing the amps).

Amps Strat.jpg Guitar Couch.jpg

11. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

DC79FC82-B259-4522-A275-C9E94A21EA8E.jpeg 0316E561-B1C4-4B1E-8CB7-E494DE1E7F88.jpeg Well, I built my little shelf setup for my office space. Here is the after, the before is somewhere in this thread. I used all reclaimed wood and scraps in the garage. It’s pretty homey, but helps me organize that stuff in my tiny space.

12. sotob

sotob Tele-Holic

Nice Johnny Marr posters. The one with the writing on it is from the Providence show by chance? I went to that one. I almost got the poster off the wall, but a guy beat me to it by a mere 30 seconds.

Chuckster likes this.
  13. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

If it was the lobby at Fete, that was me... the other posters were signed by Johnny backstage at The Paradise in Boston. Nice guy, down to earth.

20181021_185830.jpg

LiveTransmission likes this.
  14. sotob

sotob Tele-Holic

Yes - It was in the lobby. Crazy world!!! I also met him at the Paradise as well. You got some goodies signed by him. About 2 months after the shows I pulled the trigger on his Blue Jag, which is keeper. I think he Solo music is very solid.

Thanks for sharing!

LiveTransmission and Chuckster like this.
  15. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have a home theater reclining chair as a playing chair, low arms and easily can get situated in it to writer. Available on Amazon $119

16. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mine is a converted 3 car garage with fridge, wet bar and separate office.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maricopa, jays0n and DekeDog like this.
  17. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

Finally finished my office/guitar room. Lots of reorganizing to make space and cleaning. Heck, I even touched up some paint. Finally got some nice frames for the patent prints. Hung the three guitars on one wall and the two prints on the adjacent wall (all in the corner). Amps under the guitars. Came out great! Still need to find a comfy armless chair.

I'll post a photo once I figure it out. What image hosting site do you guys you? I used to use photobucket, but it looks to be a pay site now.

18. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Technically not a room, but a walk-in closet I claimed for my own, the Gear Grotto is my little happy place.

[​IMG]

19. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

Who makes that double cutaway acoustic? That thing is badass.

20. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

I had it custon made over in 'Gina.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.