Guitar Room ideas

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1 21 gigawatts, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Ted Keane

Ted Keane Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Armless chairs

lupowitz, stepvan, sotob and 7 others like this.
  2. lavrgs

lavrgs TDPRI Member

I agree I usually leave 1 acoustic and 1 electric ,that I'm playing, out and the rest (20+) are in cases to stay out of the way and safe. I have enough hangers for 8 but I end up putting everything away when I leave for extended trips and they don't get out until the urge to play a particular one comes around...and it does.

Chuckster and cravenmonket like this.
  3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Strat with One Guitar and One Amp.
    If that works out, start adding more.
    YEP!!!

4. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

Way cool!:cool:

5. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

Already have a 3 tap homebrew kegerator in the garage. :)

Steerforth likes this.
  6. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

Used to have a home office, a reading room and a guitar room. Three years and two boys later I have an office and my wife lets me use 1/3 of the basement guest room.

14B8E532-FE21-426C-9A2C-7568AA9325DA.jpeg

greenhornet and Chuckster like this.
  7. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My guitar room is magnetic. It has attracted so much stuff on its every surface that I can't wedge the camera in to take a picture.

Greggorios and Toadtele like this.
  8. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

This thread has gotten me fired up to do something with my guitar space; big thanks to the OP and all of you that posted your setups.

I too have carved out a space in an mostly unused storage room for my covid home office space, but it is really just a corner that I get. I just have my Tele, couple small amps (Champion 600, and a Quilter Interblock) Pedals and a cable mess all stuffed behind my office chair now. It’s a disaster and hard to use. I am attaching a photo of my messy setup.

However, this morn, I just got out to the garage and dug out enough wood to create some custom shelves/stands there. Thinking to raise the amp off the floor, and then to make a more shallow shelve above the amp For the pedals etc. Then, I hope to use the space under the amp shelve for cable/power/etc. storage. Got it all measured, dug our the wood, lacquer, paint, etc. gonna get busy over this weekend!!! Hope to be able to post a good after photo soon.

Thanks for the push everyone. There are so many killer setups in this thread. Can’t wait to see more. Hope they keep coming.

F2EDF068-97AE-4BF7-B896-0BCC0FCCFF70.jpeg

9. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

studio.jpg IMG_1199.jpg IMG_1202.jpg

Converted a medium sized bedroom to a studio/office/cave.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  10. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mine is just a disorganized pit right now, but at least it's a 'working disorganized pit', and in use at least three hours every weekday morning, which is about as long as my fingers can play, and as long as my butt can take that steel folding chair.
    IMG_20200912_175432640.jpg
    IMG_20200912_175348807.jpg
    Yes, that's the lyrics to 'Okie from Muskogee' on that $12 music stand.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  11. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I’m always looking for ideas on making racks for guitar cases. Two levels high.

12. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

And a picture of the newer set-up in a different home (we just moved last month).

[​IMG]

13. Eeeeeagle

Eeeeeagle TDPRI Member

0A7EC1FF-6974-4C90-A69E-EF7424243236.jpeg Combo home office and guitar room. I keep my pedalboard on one of the shelves and all of my cables, strings, books, etc. in the drawers.

14. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I had already converted my living room to a music/rehearsal room, but with no ensemble rehearsals going on, I'm going to focus more on recording. So I created a sort of "cockpit" for playing & recording, with my music laptop on a rolling cart, and main guitar amp, effects pedals, guitars and mixer etc. all within reach.

My home office is in the other room... :oops: ...but might be some ideas to cull here...

0 Prod 01a.jpg

Looking the other direction, more guitars & amps, and the speaker cab I usually mic & send to the mixer.

0 Prod 09.jpg

More guitars hanging above on the bookshelves, which could be handy if you have tall bookcases. I made some wooden pieces to attach the wall hangers to the shelves...

0 Prod 08.jpg

On the other side of the room, the "bass station" (bass itself is in its case) and drums; full drum kit is stashed in closet out of frame, brought out from time to time. Shelves for music books, strings & misc. doodads.

0 Prod 04.jpg

All the chairs are armless folding chairs. It's rather Spartan, but I can rearrange or clear the room for different purposes. I personally love it. :)

I was partly inspired by Tim Pierce's setup—wouldn't this be nice! :cool:

Tim Pierce studio.jpg

15. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

Here's my office/music room... I'm working from home until at least New Year's Day, probably longer. Love being able to take 5 and play a little to spark some creativity. (My desk serves as a light-duty luthier bench... there's an SGV300 where my laptop usually lives). More guitars hanging above my desk too.
    20191222_232507.jpg 20200321_120627.jpg

16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Simplicity...
    B761E734-7163-4AB2-8CCF-21DCF4FCC3A3.jpeg 1C483165-5AC3-4521-9E20-A9365DBB34B0.jpeg

17. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I am a dreamer. I picture a clam-shell "stage" carved in a sandstone cliff. Roll-up doors to enjoy the view. Kind of like playing in a cave. I am looking at properties for sale in areas that have sandstone landscapes. And lots of acreage! Water would be a plus. Gold-bearing is also a pipe-dream. Hey I have big dreams. I want a real man cave!
    cave home front.jpg inside.jpg dwelling.jpg Other people do it!

greenhornet, hemingway, Bill and 3 others like this.
  18. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Mount your guitar hangers 18"-20" apart on a 1x4 board, screwed across the studs, 7' from the floor. What this does is free up all your lower wall space to move things around in the room anywhere you like. Guitars low on a wall necessitates having to move the hangers if you rearrange the room once you figure out how best to lay it out.

Multiple guitar stands are fine but they take up floor space, which is valuable in a small room. Have one or two single folding stands on hand to hold your guitar/bass while you're playing/recording, but return the instruments to the wall when done.

Consider your current lighting. If you have fluorescent lighting or incandescents on dimmers, rip 'em out and replace with standard incandescent or LED because fluorescent ballasts and dimmers create a ton of noise in the room and in the AC lines. If you're recording, you don't want any of that noise.

Get yourself a comfortable, functional chair to sit on when playing. A low, rotating chair with a narrow back and no arm rests is ideal. I have yet to find anything I like more than the Tama ErgoRider drum throne with back rest, because it is stable, it spins 360 degrees, it's height adjustable, and it is super comfy. Low is the key here because when your feet are flat on the floor, you can stay comfortable much longer than if you're perched on a high stool with your feet resting on the stool's cross bar.

Have some facility to hang coiled cables up out of the way (shaker pegs or hooks on a board, etc.). Leaving cables on the floor is a tripping hazard and it shortens their lifetime when they get stepped on.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  19. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

20. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Wall hangers not floor stands.
    Your life will be so much better.

Don't forget sound treatments.

stepvan, Greggorios and Chuckster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.