Guitar Rig Pro 5

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Rob J, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

Does anyone here use Guitar Rig Pro for recording? Interested in what you might think of it and if you recommend it. Do you consider it worth the investment? I'm especially interested in anyone using it along with GarageBand. I'm looking for a way to record direct with modeling that is better than the effects, amps etc. that are built into GarageBand. (I don't find them very useful). Looking for mainly clean amp effects with great delays, reverbs, echo etc. Thanks for any input.

2. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

You can get some really usable sounds out of it. IMHO I find it best to start with a head and cab and build out what you're looking for that way vs presets. Make sure your guitar is hitting it with enough signal as well.

3. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Not in garage band, but in Logic Pro. It has some good sounds and they're not hard to find. Im not saying its better than the stock plugins as I haven't attempted a side by side comparison, but I have found several sounds that I like. This is a good crunch sound

And this one uses a loooong delay and deep reverb.

Hop2it likes this.
  4. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

Thanks Noah, and w3stie, thanks for those clips. They both sound good but I especially like the delay/reverb clip. I will admit that the idea of navigating this type of software is a little intimidating but not impossible to figure out.

5. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

I find the GR menu easier actually, but others may differ. I'm pretty lazy, so I just surf for sounds I like from the presets :)

6. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have used it for quite a while now. I find it especially easy to use and the sounds are great. I first used it in Garage Band and ported it over to Logic when I upgraded a couple of years ago. Works pretty much the same in both DAWs. The presets are very good, but there are a lot of them! Also easy to set up your own rig. I was lucky to get it at a bargain price because I bought the Komplete Audio 6 interface (which I love). NI gave me a super discount on GR 5.

7. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

A few years back I pretty much tried them all out, settled on Amplitube with the Fender pack and haven't regretted it since. The twin is my go to, really good.

M

8. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Guitar rig is my go to plugin. I also like to make my own presets with GR just building on the effects they have , but will omit few make it to the save option.

9. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

Thanks for the endorsement Dave. I took advantage of Native Instruments 50% off sale and downloaded GRig Pro 5. I'm not having very good luck with it so far, but I think (hope) that I just need to work out some bugs. I badly need to upgrade my computer monitors. Right now I don't have proper studio monitors and the sound that I'm getting from GRig is NOT good. Oddly though, I get great sound just through GarageBand without the NI plug in so I'm not sure that the monitors are really the issue.

Are you using GRig on a Mac or PC? I have watched a few tutorials but don't find much from anyone using GRig along with Garageband. At any rate, I'm hoping to get it to work because I can see potential for creating my own custom presets.

10. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

Having a bit more luck with GRig after a couple of days of messing with it. I just got some actual studio monitors to replace my Logitec computer speakers. I haven't had time to get them going yet and really don't think that speakers are my problem but they'll be a good upgrade anyway. In the meantime, I contacted Native Instruments support and got some help there. The jury is still out but I'm thinking that I'll be able to make it work for me.

11. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Getting good tone from amp modelers takes some experience, which means working through enough completed projects to see how the process works from top to bottom. Over the years I've used the hardware POD, POD Farm software, Logic Amp Designer, Kuassa Vermilion, and Amplitube w/ Fender and Hendrix packs, and managed to get tracks I'm happy with from all. All this by way of saying, it's really not which software, but how you use it. Two observations:

• Hardly any preset will work in your track untouched. Most of them are too overdriven for my taste, and it's not easy to find good cleans — you have to build them yourself, just like you build a sound on your hardware amp for stage work: tweaking every knob using trial and error until it sounds good. With sims, *tweak your tone while the rest of the mix is playing,* not soloed. IMO, most presets are meant to dazzle you when played solo but don't work well in the mix. A lot of my best tracks sound like dog-du when soloed, but glide right along in the mix. ... The bass knob is not your friend when trying to get your guitar track to sit well. It gobbles up audio energy while adding mostly mud. I like to reserve everything below about 150 Hz for the bass and kick. Guitar is a midrange instrument, and by really working your mids in relation to the other instruments, you can get sounds that most folks couldn't tell if it's software or a miked amp.

• Getting good tracks for your mix is a process. Dialing in a good sound from your amp sim is only the first step. Every time you add another part, it changes your guitar track's relation to the mix, so you adjust. That's where tools like compression and EQ come into play as ways to "sculpt" your sound to fit everything together into a coherent mix. ... This is particularly critical if you're using more than one guitar in your song, but also pertains to keyboards, MIDI instruments like horns, synths and so forth. You carve out frequency ranges for each midrange instrument to rule so they don't step on each others' toes. Learning EQ fundamentals will clear up a lot of confusion and open up a brand new world. Take an hour and skim Youtube for lots of approaches, plenty of tuts out there.

You said: I'm thinking that I'll be able to make it work
    Yes, you will! If you put in the work, you will be able to make it work. It's those first hundred hours that get you there! :D And it all starts with that first completed project.

Good luck and keep swinging the hammer!

suthol likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.