Guitar Repairs & Setups

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toast, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

It would be nice if guitar shops included a video of the work that was done on a guitar as standard practice. In fact, I would even pay up a little to have a video of the setup on one of my guitars I'm a little unsure about. Something like this.

Attached Files:

rocks2oldies and Greggorios like this.
  2. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

In a busy shop the likelihood of a luthier having the time to provide you with a video of the detail you're asking about is very unlikely to happen. I'm guessing you think the video you've shown is simple and quick to do....it's not. That guy is having to stop his work numerous times to adjust and move the camera...then afterwards he is having to edit it as well. If someone was willing to do it they would A) have to be a not very busy amateur and/or B) would require much more than you paying up "a little"...it would be a significant charge to make it worth their while....essentially you've (at least) doubled their workload.

Imagine expecting your car mechanic to make a video of each car repair as 'standard practice'....!!!

3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Thats just nuts...? If you have ever tried to take pics of simple things to use online in a thread , you will know how much time just vanish down the drain.
    You would like to pay a little more ?
    How about 4 or 5 times as much ?

Toast likes this.
  4. roycaster

roycaster Tele-Meister

If you are unsure enough of the person doing the work on your guitar that you would feel better with a video, it sounds like it is time to find someone else to do the work…

5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Probably not practical for them to make a video, but maybe they'd allow you to watch and make your own video.

A friend in another state pays to have all his work done and insists that his guitar never leaves his sight. Apparently he found a good shop that will allow this.

rocks2oldies, Torren61 and Toast like this.
  6. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

If a customer insisted on me taking a video of myself setting up a guitar, I would ask that customer to find another repairman. I will not do any work for someone who doesn't trust me to work on a guitar. Period. Same with anyone who won't leave the guitar with me. I do not lose or steal people's guitars.
    I have worked on, sold on consignment, and bought, among other guitars, a 1939 Gibson SJ200, a 1941 SJ200, a 1963 Gibson Explorer, and more pre-CBS Fenders than I can count. I don't assume the worst about my customers and ask that they don't do that about me.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    stevemc, DonM and Toast like this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

And if the customer has a video of the setup on their own guitar then they will be less likely to return as the repairman/tech will no longer be needed as they would have a guide to do it themselves.

+1 for Dave’s world of fun stuff
    I love that guys videos:)

Toast and Jim603 like this.
  8. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

... another big +1 for Dave's World of Fun Stuff!!!
    Subscribe to his channel and you get deadpan humor and practical tech insight wrapped up in one package.
    I love this one (one of many more):

Subscribe to his channel
    And... he's a 'Canucklehead' from the great white north as well, eh!!

Toast, Fretting out and Jim603 like this.
  9. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I agree it takes more work. That's why if I were a guitar tech (assuming I wanted more business), I'd offer a setup price with no video and setup price with video. Build a better a mousetrap . . .

10. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I want the video so I'd have a record of a correct setup for one of my actual guitars. The function of the video would be that I could refer to it when I did my own setup to make sure I was doing it right for a specific guitar. If I got a decent video of the setup, I'd probably never get my guitar set up again, though :) I'd do it myself. I'd still use the shop for major surgery and other things out of my league. I wouldn't pay more for a video if I didn't already have faith in the tech.

11. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I love his videos. I'm learning tons from them. I gotta get a sticker soon :)

12. roycaster

roycaster Tele-Meister

If you know enough about the guitar to do your own setups, then you know enough how-to write down the measurements you need when you get the guitar back from the shop…

Toast likes this.
  13. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

There's different tremolo bars, trust rod locations, pot adjustments through F holes, etc. that I wouldn't mind having a video of before I start going through an F hole with a soldering tool <--humor. I can probably learn it from internet vids and forums and be fine. If I had a really nice vintage guitar, I might opt to either watch the setup or pay up for a video. I'm not demanding it or anything. Just a suggestion. I was actually thinking it might be a way for guitar shops to make a little more money--a setup plus a video guitar walk-through kind of thing.

By the way, I'm not asking for a film crew or anything. A stationary GoPro would probably be fine for me or even a vid from a phone.

14. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Nobody likes to work with somebody watching them the whole time. I grew up working in my family's auto repair shop and my Dad had a poster in the waiting room which read as follows:

Hourly Rate Charge for Repairs....$75 / hr.
    Hourly Rate using your parts.....$85 / hr
    Hourly Rate if you already tried to fix it.....$90 / hr
    Hourly Rate if you plan to watch me.....$150 / hr with intermissions every 2 hours

Irondog, DougM, gregulator450 and 2 others like this.
  15. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

Setups are probably the easiest thing to do to a guitar. There's no shortage of information or videos on how to do them. Your guitar is not special in that a setup for your guitar can be learned without a video from your luthier.

stevemc and Toast like this.
  16. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Yeah, setups really don't seem difficult. You just need the right tools. Well, it was just a thought.

Torren61 likes this.
  17. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

That's it, you need some tools. I'm sure you could start a thread on what tools you need or look it up yourself. Once you can do your own setup, you save the amount you'd have spent on one and that'd pretty much pay for your tools.

Toast likes this.
  18. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Yep. And if it were standardized that would mean you'd be on camera all the time, like working for Amazon I imagine, and forced (market forces) to allow your image to be used however the custormer wanted. Yeah, bad idea. I'm imagining Yelp with setup video critiques. No. I take it all back :)

Milspec likes this.
  19. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

Unless you want a static overhead unedited shot....you going to pay and pay big.
    Just off the top of my head...
    Set up a camera
    Set up lighting
    Narrate the thing
    Edit the thing...
    What's the format? DVD, email (small file), flash drive...
    Mac?
    PC?
    Now do I spend the money for multiple cameras? Unwise I adjust a saddle...stop grab the camera from the wideshot and tripod, refocus, and show the adjustment. Then hope it's in frame and is in focus. If not not, repeat.
    Cutaways to tuners, getting close ups of feeler gauges...you're asking for A LOT OF WORK TO BE DONE. This would take hours for each guitar...hours. And myself...I'd have the guitar's owner sign a release stating I own the video not the customer. I don't want the videos I made and worked on for hours, uploaded to someone's monetized YouTube account.
    Hire a wedding photographer it would be cheaper.
    Now I'm somehow going to make money, let alone a living doing this? No, I'm not.

Sorry dude, I work in the Television industry...you're asking for a lot.

Toast likes this.
  20. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I'm waiting for my tool delivery :) Still need a notched straightedge, but their frickin' $88 on sale at SM! I think I can get by without it for now. What's the markup on a notched straightedge I wonder.

Torren61 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.