Guitar Related Things You've Wanted but have yet to do?

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Today I found myself cruising sites I've cruised a thousand times before. All guitar related. I've made no guitar related purchases this year and have no plans to do so. Still ..... I find myself still interested in certain desires never fulfilled. Do we have members who've always figured they would one day own this or build that, etc., etc.

In my case .......

I've never built my own guitar from parts. Warmoth, U.S.A., or other guitar parts dealers. I've wanted to do this for 20+ years and now, because my left hand shakes so much when trying to hold something in a steady position, I'm afraid I couldn't even drill a strap peg hole with accuracy.

I've never owned a custom built Tom Anderson guitar. I've always respected Tom Anderson and have loved both the Cobra and Lil Angel. His finishes are quite often one of a kind. I own multiple boutique guitars but somehow never nailed this one down.

I've never owned a solid body Fibenare Roadmaster '56. This is a boutique builder T-Style guitar I've loved since the first time I laid eyes on it.

Although totally beyond my means I've always hoped that one day I would own both a 1963 Stratocaster and a 1964 ES-335. They're both Holy Grail's in my book. I still look for them on Reverb as well as other specialty sites but I know going in it's impossible. Still .... I continue to look.

If this was 30 years ago I would have included multiple 90 and 100 watt amp stacks but, in the present day, they would be almost useless.

An N.O.S. Echoplex II tape machine with 12 replacement cartridges. Yes. I know. In my dreams.

WRHB

Tele-Holic
I always wanted to know how to setup my own instruments so I started learning online and by trial and error with my herd. I can change strings, adjust the truss rod, file and lube nut slots, adjust intonation, check string height and pickup height, all the basics. I love doing it. And I love the fact that I’m always learning another step or method to setting up a guitar.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I have been playing acoustic and electric guitar now for 48 years (home play and gigs)

I have at this point, no real desire to work on more sophisticated playing styles/scales than what I know- which admittedly is mainly based on I-IV-V patterns ( major/minor, variations) used in Blues, R&R. Country, etc. But IMO, that's a big environment as it is not monolithic; lot of variety there...

But I still am always needing to improve Vibrato, string bending, and fingerstyle/fingerpicking techniques
* Could always do things smoother, cleaner- will never be content here

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
I've never been able to get a little jam band together for a session or two a week.

I've never been able to find a friend who I could get together with on a regular basis and actuality play and sing songs all the way through.

I've never got to be on stage with a guitar, although that's probably for the better for all concerned.

I've only ever gotten to jam in a band(ish) situation a few times.

WRHB

Tele-Holic
I want a Gibson 335 but don’t really need one. A band mate has one he doesn’t really use. I might make him an offer.
In my humble opinion, if you really want it and can get it without getting behind on your bills or skipping meals then get it. Because you only live once. I don’t have a lot of guitars but I have the ones I wanted and could afford at the time. I don’t need them but I sure enjoy them.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
I have a CD of a tape of a very early performance by my first band back in the late 70's, recorded on a cassette tape. Now I have the means, I want to rerecord all the songs on my tascam32 and give the new life and what will obviously be much better production.

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
I've always wanted to build my own amp.

I've always wanted to record my own album. This one deserves some explanation: I am a producer/engineer/player, and here is the downside of the profession. I spend my days producing other people's product. As such, I seem to be like the shoemaker. You know what they say about the shoemakers children, don't you? They say they have no shoes. When I get home from a day/week of producing other people's stuff, the last thing I want to do is produce more.

Bob

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Waiting until I retire, going to get a Bachelor's Degree in Performing Arts (guitar) from the local university.
I did the calculations and it is going to be in 6 years when I am 65. Free tuition when you reach 60 years of age 👍
I had always thought I would get my Bachelor's in Math, but what good will that do me when I am retired?
Have loved Math as long as I have loved Music, maybe a Math minor, we will see 😊
In the meantime, might take some online courses from Berklee College of Music on Music Theory.