Guitar-Related Projects?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Aug 1, 2020.

1. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I try not to trip and fall over the amps and guitars scattered all over here ...

I drink constantly...

Steerforth and Unionjack515 like this.
  2. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

You mean the way he fielded that ground ball in October 1986?*

*at that game I was at?**

**on my birthday?
    FB_IMG_1505160705301.jpg

Steerforth likes this.
  3. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

I'm going to put together a pedal board. I am dicking around figuring out what I want on the board before I move on to the which board, which power supply, etc. I think deciding what will go on the board is the hardest - and therefore most interesting - part.

4. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I'm sorry, did he field a ground ball?

I don't mean to be mean. He was a fine ballplayer. It's just that in the immediately following winter, there was a local radio commercial (in Vermont, which is Red Sox country and ski country) that started something like this:

(swish-swish sounds of people skiing)

Her: "Hey, that was a great run! Let's go for another!"

Him: "I don't think so. My hands are cold, my legs are tired, and I'm skiing like Bill Buckner."

(Note: this was a bad commercial, because I don't remember what was being advertised.)

Steerforth and tubegeek like this.
  5. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

Jazzmaster build:
    upload_2020-8-1_20-29-2.jpeg
    B16 Tele Build:
    upload_2020-8-1_20-28-28.jpeg
    Prototype-Depth Esquire Build:
    upload_2020-8-1_20-27-51.jpeg
    Single-Humbucker “Esquire” Build:
    upload_2020-8-1_20-30-4.jpeg
    BSB Esquire Build:
    upload_2020-8-1_20-26-57.jpeg
    And organizing some of my guitars/amps/miscellaneous related gear:
    upload_2020-8-1_20-31-26.jpeg

6. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

Awesome guitars...Nice, tidy and fully functional stowage.

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

nada... for the first year in the last 10, I have hardly done any guitar stuff ..

I finished off a P/T Bass project in January that I did most of the work on in late '19 and that was about it...

I have other basses, so I've hardly played this one. I've hardly played my 6 string teles that much either..

funny sort of year, this year...splinter free so far..:rolleyes:

SO Bass 1.jpg

SO bass knobs1.jpg

SO bass knobs2.jpg

8. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm putting together a P-Bass using a vintage blonde Vintera body and an older American Special maple Jazz neck I already have. When the body arrives I'll likely get rid of most of the gloss which should be the only time consuming aspect. It's a nostalgia project, I was a P with Jazz neck player for decades and feel kind of disloyal not having one around anymore, even if it's just to look at.

Jlwctn and Steerforth like this.
  9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Even if Bill had fielded that ball ...

Wilson would have been safe...

Mookie was really fast ....

Jus sayin ..
    Ya know ..

Steerforth and tubegeek like this.
  10. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

Pecan Pie is kind of a necessity for most anything, I always thought????

I'm working on a poor Warmoth vintage Strat body that's been the victim of "much scientific research". It's been colored, dyed, stained, and painted multiple times, and it has had the trem cavities filled, bridge pickup rout opened up to use a Tele bridge and a Cavalier pickup. Gonna paint it Duplicolor Paint Shop Deep Metallic Blue (again :rolleyes:) and call it good.

I have plans for a Pine or Fir bodied Tele build that has caused me to buy (and sorta learn to use) a router, and plan on making a drum/thickness sander. Nuthin' near aas cool as some of the earlier [posts in this thread, but a "step out of my comfort zone" for me......

Peegoo and Steerforth like this.
  11. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Meister

IMG_20200730_191745.jpg Over the past three weeks I saved an old National hollow body from the trash heap, put hot DiMarzios in my Warmoth Tele Deluxe and now repairing a cracked headstock on my old Guild acoustic.

tubelectron, Jakedog, Jlwctn and 4 others like this.
  12. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

13. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

This is just starting...
    573A4E73-9ED7-4DE8-BCFF-FC3DA054FEB7.jpeg 40208841-0AFC-4FA9-B53B-92C98046519E.jpeg
    It’ll be a single pickup baritone - likely a Filtertron style pickup, with a Jazzmaster vibrato unit and a roller bridge. Sapele for the body and neck; debating whether to use the sycamore for a cap of keep it for another day. Also debating whether to go set or through neck.

14. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Is that the amp you found at the Goodwill (Habitat?) store? Get yourself a big sheet of butcher paper and draw out the schematic...it sounds complicated, but it's easy to do. Read the spec of each component and write it on the drawing.

Do a Google search (images) of 'vintage amplifier schematic' to see how these are drawn. Here's an example of an amp similar to what you have there (click on the pic to enlargenate it).

[​IMG]

tubelectron and Steerforth like this.
  15. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Yea, I'm really at the pre-kindergarten level, having to figure out the schematic symbols, learn to read color coded values and tube pins. And the other thing that makes me go dizzy is where the pot cables go to. Certainly wish this was on a turret board instead of a rat's nest. At this point, I'd love to learn this stuff but also realize it would be a time intensive investment...so if I end up doing this it will be at least my winter long project. I could easily change a grounded cord and 1/4" input and spkr jacks and solder in new filter caps but that is a soldering skill's hack but without any actual knowledge about circuits and values and etc. However the problem is it is an unknown circuit...thus perhaps doomed to draw/trace out the circuit myself with no guarantees that it even works or would sound good. I'd gladly pay someone to get it running and if needed voicing mods to get it in to an old octal tv deluxe type thing. So at this point have started reading Jack Darr's book and just daydreaming...maybe a gut and try to build a octal deluxe on a board with head chassis.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Steerforth and Peegoo like this.
  16. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Finished the rebuild project today!

Cream pickups are gone, and everywhere I looked the replacements I wanted were only available in black. So black it is. Decided to switch knobs to black as well, as the gold ones looked goofy with the black pickups.

The wiring came out exactly as I’d hoped. No tone pot, and no switch. Just two volume controls like a Jazz Bass. So I can dial in as much or as little of either pickup as I want. I couldn’t turn it up tonight cause the kids and wife are already in bed. But it seems to have worked out really cool. I’ll know for sure tomorrow when I can try it at rock star volume. Gotta come up with some creative and unique way to cover the switch hole...

These Hipshot open gear tuners are freakin FABULOUS. As soon as I can afford it I’m going to have them ove every single guitar I own. No, I’m not kidding.

F2ED9E1C-9C96-4F26-9619-28EC53FC2636.jpeg CD13449F-09A6-485A-B9CE-08EE48250D82.jpeg 8CCE3639-A9AE-4002-B742-3B1EC7466E44.jpeg

17. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

I have the parts to build a Fender 5E8A Tweed Twin clone sitting around. For various reasons I just haven't started it yet. I'm retired so not in a real hurry.

Steerforth likes this.
  18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Wish I could download pics. It is too cold here ( around 14C- 388.8F ) and too damp to spray the finish.
    Am building a single cut LP Jr. in cherry red.It's all wired up and ready for the last bits of hardware, tuners and wraparound tailpiece. Otherwise, it's the finish that need a few warm days to complete.

Steerforth likes this.
  19. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

My ‘94 MIJ Foto Flame Tele:
    Bought it with the film already cracking & exfoliating, intent on refinishing. 7 1/2 years later I just got around to stripping the finish. Maybe in another 7 1/2 I’ll get around to spraying.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 3:35 PM
    Steerforth likes this.
  20. CRMCRM

CRMCRM Tele-Meister

I have the parts for a tweed Champ that have been sitting since the start of the pandemic. The work of putting my university classes online and of teaching online instead of face-to-face has completely shelved the project. It is not just finding the chunks of time. It is finding the mental energy and focus.

My little amateurish jazz group is also on hold for the duration and I find myself playing scales and exercises instead of songs. I will be happy when I/things are back to normal.

RhythmFender and Steerforth like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.