Guitar-Related Projects?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

What guitar-related projects do you have going these days?

I have a 5E3 Deluxe in-work. Going slowly, as I feel like it.

And I just ordered a big pile of Telecaster guts and parts a few minutes ago, to do some things that I’ve been meaning to do for a long time.

Mostly, it’s stuff for my 50s Road Worn Tele, but I ordered some extra stuff, so the new G&L might get a few tweaks as well. Time to get the soldering iron out!

So, what are you tinkering with?

2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

I am tinkering on a partscaster, a tele bass body build, and a hollow body bass kit build.

mjtrip001 and Steerforth like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've done a bunch. Slowed down lately.
    -Put new electronics/pickups in my Mono Tele.
    -Built that Blonde Bassman head.
    -Modded my Mono 15 amp into a BF Princeton.
    -Selling stuff I've held onto too long. Sold 3 EV Force 10's in one day!
    -Going through vintage tubes right now and selling them. Amazed the $ I'm getting.
    -Currently cleaning up my BFDR for a possible sale soon.
    -Repaired a cracked neck Westerly US Guild acoustic electric. Added a sound hole P90 pickup.pots making it more of an archtop type of guitar.

Tonetele and Steerforth like this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I finally got the final part I was waiting on, so I’m doing a huge rehab project on one of my customs.

193B41B7-8B42-4832-B2F2-F792F2227CB9.jpeg

switch is shot. Volume pot is about done. I’ve always meant to go to hum canceling pickups and never got a round to it, and I freakin HATE the tuners. It always bothered me that they had white buttons and the pickups were cream.

New tuners got installed today. Removed the old ones, reamed out the holes, and installed some sweet open gear Hipshots.

Tomorrow it will get a DiMarzio DLX Plus neck pickup, and a Tone Zone P90 bridge pickup. I have two new pots and a new switch, but I think I’m gonna try something different... while I was installing the new tuners I got the whacky idea to skip a switch altogether, and do two volume pots. Like a jazz bass, but with no tone control. I never use a tone control. Ever. I think it might be cool to be able to blend the two pickups however I want.

5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

With no gigs coming up, I have done my best to resist the urge to splurge.
    I did buy a matching monitor speaker for the band practice room, even though we haven't been in it since February.

Just routine Maintanace on things.

RhythmFender, Jakedog and Steerforth like this.
  6. Jakedog

This down time has been super dangerous for me. When I’m playing every day I’m perfectly happy with what I’ve got most of the time. I see stuff I want, but I rarely act on it.

All this time off has meant I’m bored to tears. And messing with everything. I’ve bought more gear in the last three months than I did in the previous three years. Oops.

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

I have a Les Paul Junior DC in work. I got the neck fit to the body, everything sanded, and primed today.

I have a peachy Gibson CS '58 Jr DC, but I always wanted one with my name on the headstock.

Cutting pearl is not for the faint of heart...lots of pecan pie is necessary.

[​IMG]

Blazer, Tonetele, elihu and 12 others like this.
  8. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

If I ever actually lose my mind, it will probably be caused by inlay work.

9. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

That’s a cool looking guitar Jake. Wouldn’t mind seeing more pics when you’re done working on it. I’ve got a DC build in my future plans - what’s the body thickness of yours?

RhythmFender, Jakedog and Steerforth like this.
  10. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

Nice work,. doing full inlays back in the day and breaking one out of the matched group is heart breaking. Scrambling to find a replacement was just as bad as all my work was cut from whole shell hearts and matched under a single light source + submerged in water, then marked for the perfect flash...then cut to shape. Not like you can hurry that process.

Did you tack that head-stock pearl onto a piece of thin wood to support under the cut on your jig?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Steerforth likes this.
  11. Jakedog

I’ve never measured. The builder is a Gibson freak and said the body was made according to blueprints he found online for a vintage special. So whatever those are, this is. Main differences are the control layout and pickguard, which we designed together, and I had him add a belly cut.

Steerforth and Macrogats like this.
  12. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

I used to cut pearl that way many years ago, but I graduated to an Excalibur scrollsaw with super-fine blades and have never looked back. A very cool trick I came up with is to use CA to stick 300-grit paper to the side of a large saw blade and use that in the scrollsaw to sand the edges of the sawn pearl pieces. Works like a charm.

Wear a dust mast when doing this. Silica is bad juju in the lungs.

Excalibur is out of business, but thankfully Seyco (pronounced SEE-ko) bought them and picked up the baton. Ray Seymore is a good guy.

Jlwctn, Steerforth and Henley like this.
  13. RhythmFender

RhythmFender Tele-Meister

I’m not doing anything other than getting ready to move to an old farmhouse, but when I get there, I’ll have a new music room that will house my guitars and amp and my daughter’s drum set, so I’m going to set up a little home studio for us in there. Already got a couple of mics, mic stands, cables, an interface and everything, so just waiting to move.

I will also say that seeing the stuff posted and talked about in this forum regarding home builds is really inspiring me to want to buy a bunch of parts and put together a partscaster, maybe sometime next year if I can afford it. We’ll see. Such a plethora of knowledge to be had here, I love it, man!

Steerforth likes this.
  14. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Yeah, that pg really caught my eye. Looks good. I was knocking around ideas what to possibly do with mine for whenever I get around to building it. Was looking for something to have the controls laid into. I’ll keep procrastinating on it. :p

Steerforth and Jakedog like this.
  15. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

I built this breadboard station in 2005, and it's pretty clapped out. Lately, any amplification circuit I've built on it has oscillated or motorboated. Everything, regardless of lead length/placement or ps filtering. Even stuff I've built on it before many times with no problems. Seems like something has changed, but I don't know what. I've been itching to build a replacement for it for some time now, but haven't decided what kind of setup to do. I've learned a lot since building this 15 years ago.

Meanwhile, I've got a handful of SS amplifier designs I was working on that have been stymied by this. Nothing super innovative or exciting, but stuff I enjoy doing. Solid state amplifiers have their uses.

I've also got a few stompbox ideas I've wanted to try out. Some are variations of known circuits, others are completely new (as far as I know).

In addition, I bought a 12-string stratocaster kit on ebay last year. I finished the body last summer before the weather got cold, and this year I'm doing the neck. I've put on a few coats of poly+stain with varying results. I need to put another coat or two on and sand it down, but I'm out of brushes. I'm too chicken to go to a store so I bought some online. They were supposed to be here Thurs or Friday but haven't shown up yet. Maybe next weekend I'll get it going.

After that, it's rubbing the body and neck out, and then just putting it all together. I don't expect to like the standard "3 singlecoils" setup that came with it, but I'll try them first and see. I'm willing to have my mind changed.

I was going to start on a 5e3 build (my first tube amp), but I've decided to save the circuitry part for a winter project (if I live that long). I have a friend and mentor (and periodic TDPRI lurker) that builds amps and cabs and the plan was to coordinate it with him in some way. He has invited me over a bunch over the years to hang out, sip on some suds and tinker on amplifiers and things. This year, we keep in touch via email but we're not visiting in-person because we're both in 'at risk groups' for the Bad Thing That's Popular Right Now.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  16. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Holic

Just plugging up all of the amps I bought home from the office when we moved out, problem is the cables are scattered across 18 or so boxes of associated stuff that also came home and I keep getting distracted

So there's now an extra tele, strat and Jazz Bass...........

mjtrip001, Steerforth and Jakedog like this.
  17. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Yeah, but that's true in any case.

When I make it I melt chocolate onto the top of it. Only 4000 calories (per slice).

18. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Still trying to make progress on this tele-style thingy. One step forward, one step back. To mis-quote a radio commercial from December 1986, I'm building my partscaster like Bill Buckner.

Steerforth likes this.
  19. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

'Bout half way through a 5E5A Pro build, got a 6G3 Deluxe-Amp in the queue if I ever get done with the Pro.

I've been eyeing the Hudson Champ lap steel kit, but I'm not allowing myself to gather any more unfinished projects until I finish the ones I've got.

20. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

That is very difficult to do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.