Guitar Recommendation

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Toast, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I want to buy a cheap guitar I can experiment with. I want to try different pickups, tuners, guitar necks, etc. that I can put on a parts guitar before I attempt to mess around with one of my primo (primo to me) guitars. However, I'm not sure what would be a good beater guitar to experiment with. Since I haven't really played around with pickups, I'm not sure if some guitars are easier to swap out parts on than others. I'm trying to avoid having to use a router and doing lots of surgery, if I can. I'm not partial to a Telecaster body; I just want a guitar that is easy to work on and experiment with. Any recommendations?

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Toast likes this.
  3. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

That's a great suggestion. I don't know why I was thinking about buying an entirely new guitar (I got a problem with finding any excuse to buy a new guitar :) I should start with the body and buy the parts to construct a whole guitar. That's a good way to develop some guitar building skills, but I'm sure I'll run into lots of roadblocks. Still sounds fun. Thanks, good suggestion.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  4. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You can pickup a used MIM Fender for about $300. None of it is garbage, so you can mod to your heart’s content and always go back to original and flip it later.

DHart and Toast like this.
  5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

its fun..i just order random stuff off ebay & this one started with a $15 neck local CL..got $168 into total & putting it together today Stratbuild1.jpg

RoscoeElegante and Toast like this.
  6. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Good suggestion. I've started to consider buying a kit guitar, but maybe it's cheaper to just buy a MIM Fender and take it apart and put it back together again. Hmm, I'm glad I started this thread. I've gotten some good ideas.

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Look around for a Squier Standard Strat. They have HSH routing. You can often find them for $100 or less. There are also Squier Affinity and Bullet models but they aren't as interchangeable on parts due to the thinner body and narrower neck profile. If you can find one, the Squier SE "STRAT" model, one that was sold in Strat Packs for about 10 years, are regular Strat sized and great mod platforms. They're getting scarce now though.

The Fretwire has some reasonably priced kits that are good.

You can roll the dice on the GFS warehouse section. More work but can be fun.

And you can buy parts on eBay and see what fits.

Toast likes this.
  8. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

You've inspired me. I'm going to try it.

bftfender likes this.
  9. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Cool, enjoy. I learned so much by trying it. Way worth the time & then it really becomes a personal thing . Man my hats off to the guys who build them from scratch..raw piece of wood crafted into a beautiful guitar !!

Toast likes this.
  10. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Oh man, great site. I want to get a resonator guitar kit for $200. I wish I had $200 to throw around, I will at soon though :)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Craigslist and sort 'guitar' between $2 and $75. Wade through the acoustics and you'll find some strat like guitars. cut custom pickguards and you're on your way.

Toast likes this.
  12. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

That's interesting. If you get some skills under your belt, can you actually make some money buying, fixing, and flipping? Is that pretty common? Edit: That's probably a stupid question :)

8barlouie likes this.
  13. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There’s a whole cottage industry out there doing just that. I have a friend who actually got a 1099 from Reverb based on his volume and he isn’t a retailer. He’s just a guy who buys and sells guitars.

Toast likes this.
  14. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

By the way, thanks for all the great responses. I got my next project.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.