Guitar Quirks - Little Things That Should Not Throw You Off But They Do

P-Nutz

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Now that you mention it I don't like block inlays. But if I really liked a guitar for other reasons I'm not sure I'd reject it just because of that.

Shape-wise I really don't like any pointy bits but again, I have an Ibanez that's pointy and I bought it in spite of not liking the shape.

One thing I really hate and it probably would make me not by a guitar is those "stop tail" bridges (not sure I that's the right name) but for intonation there's just a tiny little cam action thingy that lets the saddle move back and forth a fraction of an inch. That just seems nuts to me, one of the major benefits to an electric guitar is being able to completely adjust both action and intonation individually. Why do they put those on so many Gibson-derived guitars? Is it just for looks?

On a well-designed guitar, they work really well and require minimum fussing.

Yeah, well I play with my hands in my pockets.

Play with what?

Pcs264

Tele-Meister
I'll never have a guitar with a pointy shape & edges that look like they could be a danger to the player and their stage mates. Also I could never stand a guitar with that PRS headstock. Oh, wait - the PRS headstock falls under the "pointy & dangerous" criteria!

Last edited:

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
View attachment 1056957
I somehow do not like tuners arranged like this.For me it always looks like someone had forgotten to drill a hole for the fourth tuner and therefore placed it on the lower side of the headstock.
I would always either put them all four in a row or two of them on each side- that single,poor lonely tuner on the lower side just does not look right to me.

Where are you on 5-string headstocks? 5-on-a-side, 4+1, 3+2?

Jeru

Tele-Afflicted
I really don't like the old / small / plastic tuning pegs. They were on my old Gibbo SG Jr.
and some old fender models too (dunno which / not important). To me -- they feel fragile,
like they're going to break apart. More importantly in my (admittedly limited) experience
their being small seems to me to screw up the turning ratio of turns of the peg vs. tuning
action. Probably just me / whatever / carry on.

1964 SG.JPG

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
I will start with two.

#1 - Block inlays. I played a friend's Les Paul a bit back. For some reason, the block inlays made me have to think harder to know where I was on the fretboard. I have no idea why - maybe because I usually only play Fenders, and I'm used to the dots? The large blocks without the right glasses just threw me off a bit.

#2 - Reverse headstocks. I have played a few in stores. I guess I am used to seeing the 6th string tuner, and use that to help acclimate where the first fret is. When the headstock just sloped away and I cannot see the tuner, I get an unnatural feeling like my hand will slide off the end of the neck. It just felt "odd".
I played a guitar with no fret markers at all. It was easier when I didn't look at the fretboard!

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
The lack of space between the tele selector switch and volume knob, Really? There's penty of room on the control plate, why are they jammed up to one another?
Actually, with bigger pots, there's not a lot of room between them, for what needs to be done wiring-wise, IMO.

I've had a couple of replacement Tele bodies that needed some add'l routing done to get a bigger tone pot to fit.

But with smaller pots, yeah - you can then move the vol knob away.

While IMO it looks a little weird aesthetically, the control plates that angle the pickup selector switch just seems like a great idea.

This all reminds me that for quite a few years, I used Strat switch tips with my Teles, because the Tele tips just seemed too bulky. I now use the barrel-style Tele tip, but still can't use the top hat style.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
a LP with a really skinny neck feels super weird to me. like a watermelon on a little stick.
This is why I prefer only LP'ish abominations with bolt-on necks, so I can try and match the body up with something more substantial, and also get a body that's made out of lighter woods.

It also reminds me that every time I try to play an SG, I just can't stand how the neck starts right at the edge of the body. It's just so very odd compared to many other guitars. I guess I should never try to play a flying V for that reason.

Fiesta Red

Doctor of Teleocity
Floyd Rose, Kahler or any same-styled whammy bars. Hate their looks, their feel, the way they affect the sound. Just don’t like em.

Similarly, I hate pointy-headed/bodied guitars…headless guitars…the weird “ergonomic” things like Tosin Abasi plays…Chapman sticks…the 17-string basses that look like a piano on a guitar neck…

And cilantro. Tastes like dusty soap.

Strat Jacket

Tele-Holic
I play with my eyes closed.
Funny...the other night I was playing and only had a soft white desk lamp on instead of the 300 watt ceiling fan/light thingie...wife pops her head in and says "How can you see to play that thing?" I answered, "I play with my fingers, not my eyeballs!" The look on her face? Priceless!

I generally rest the side of my hand on the bridge. On my '65 Strat, those tiny Allen head set screws poking up into my hand are irritating as hell compared to my MiM Strat and Tele.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
View attachment 1056957
I somehow do not like tuners arranged like this.For me it always looks like someone had forgotten to drill a hole for the fourth tuner and therefore placed it on the lower side of the headstock.
I would always either put them all four in a row or two of them on each side- that single,poor lonely tuner on the lower side just does not look right to me.
Headstocks that look like a Vulture's beak.