Guitar pot with built in Boost?

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by imsilly, Nov 15, 2019.

1. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

I found a PCB for a Zvex SHO clone that is designed to fit onto the 5k Pot in its circuit.

I was wondering if I could insert this circuit into a guitar's control cavity? It would have to be able to bypass the rest of the guitar's tone circuit when not in use. Is there a pot that can do this, that is to say work as a 5 k pot, on/off switch and bypass?

2. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

I’m not sure but most pots in guitars are 250k or 500k. Maybe add the boost with an additional pot.

3. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

It’s possible if you can find a 5k pot with a push/pull DPDT switch built into it.

If you can find a 5k with DPDT then you can use it as your true bypass and boost control.

Put a stereo jack on the input jack of the guitar to supply the battery negative to the circuit when a patch cord is plugged in. There’s your power switch.

Anything is possible but you need that DPDT 5k pot to make things easy.

4. awasson

I just did a quick check. Bourne makes a 5k with push/pull DPDT. I’m not sure who carries them. Digikey, who I buy from don’t have any in stock but they list them for about $5 each and have a Standard backorder time of 18 weeks. Since we know they’re out there, I’m sure someone has them.

EDIT: That 5k pot isn't going to be useful for anything else while the boost is bypassed because as @sirbergersworth mentioned above, guitar circuits are usually 250k or 500k.

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

Why not install a standard 5K pot and a mini DPDT switch that activates the boost and the pot? Is it because you don't want to drill an additional hole?

6. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

Yes, I want the scratch plate to remain the same.

7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Instead of the PCB you have will this do what you want?
    It's cheap enough.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Clapton-style-mid-boost-circuit-Drive-your-amp_p_194.html

awasson and Bristlehound like this.
  8. awasson

9. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

20191204_085026.jpg 20191204_084815.jpg I build these for all my guitars. Work great for a clean boost.

10. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

you could use a 250k/500k switching pot as one of the guitars vol/tone controls. the switching function of the pot activates the boost, but the boost itself is set-and-forget inside the guitar, with no external control.

11. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

That's how the one I showed is. Boost is adjusted via a pot on the board and the external pot is just for guitar volume and switching the boost on.

12. zappman

zappman NEW MEMBER!

Emg SPC Midboost ;) Use it in all my guitars. It can really push the amp over the edge and whith clean it gives the extra boom. Works perfect with passive pups too.
    https://www.emgpickups.com/spc.html

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.