Guitar Player Magazine!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

¡Bueno!™

I had given up on GP years ago but recently found a used copy of the recent Prog rock issue! It was a great read!

Seems like they have shifted to an older demographic with recent cover stories on more classic rock, Beatles, Clapton, Blackmore, Townshend the Doors.

Still not anything like the hey day with great columnists but seems to have taken a major step towards journalism as opposed to pandering...or maybe I'm just being pandered to......:|

Anyways! If like me you gave up on GP you may want to give it a try again just for guitar past time fun!

Wyzsard, Old Plank and Chiogtr4x like this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I had a GP magazine subscription from 1980-2014! ( may have let it lapse a year or so, a few times)

I was a guitar/amp book and mag NUT, then around early 2000's, was kind of sick of all of it- Could not relate to newer harder rock stuff, tired of the recycled Jimi, SRV, Clapton, etc., tribute issues,, and just stopped. Plus the Gear Reviews were basically ads for their advertising...

It's been a long time now, since looking at an issue ( and I still like paper vs. digital),
    May have to revisit a GP issue or two!

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

^^^
    Yep.

4. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you wait for the subscription specials, you can get it real cheap. Like the rest of them, I imagine. I dropped my subscription for many years, and during that time. I didn't play my guitars much. Not sure why. But recently, I got back in gear (so to speak), and a mag subscription has helped to fuel enthusiasm. And result in GAS, of course. Inspired me to try to new stuff.

5. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

They should just change the name to Guitar Seller. More ads than articles, every review is a fawning fanboi lovefest. I gave up years ago after being suckered a couple of times into buying music that just plain sucked. A lot of the equipment they reviewed was no where near as good as they said it was either.

6. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Must have figured out where the expendable income is.

SRHmusic likes this.
  7. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

So in other words they're just reprinting their first 10 years with new covers.

8. wabashslim

Issue #2's cover foretold how we would be today...

upload_2021-7-29_8-57-40.png

Martian, Blue Bill, ruger9 and 15 others like this.
  9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I gave up on Guitarist Mag a few years back. I used to subscribe, but I save a fortune now just buying the occasional one when there's an article I like. The last one I bought had free Fender beer mats, and a booklet thing, I'm a cheapskate, I work better like that, funny thing I don't drink beer either.

stepvan and Old Plank like this.
  10. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

From 1974 until early 2000’s I had a subscription. I saved every one though I never really looked back at them. I kept them in a cheap wooden chest of drawers. One day I came home and the chest had completely fallen apart, magazines everywhere. Threw them all away and canceled my subscription. By then you could find out more about gear online and I just didn’t give a shucks about new players. Kept my Vintage Guitar subscription for another 10 years but finally gave that up to. Now the only mag I get is AARP and I never signed up for it.

stepvan likes this.
  11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Though I haven’t seen or had a suscription in decades, I loved it in my youth.
    I subscribed from 1973 to 1992.
    I am actually grateful to Jim Crockett’s magazine.
    It was foundational in my guitar playing education.
    At some point the ad copy took over, and VG became my favorite.
    Regardless, I always read it cover to cove.
    Bravo, GP magazine!

12. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I stopped reading it after Tommy Tedesco died. His column alone was worth it back then.

Rowdyman, Blue Bill, rand z and 8 others like this.
  13. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Afflicted

Hey! A Rickenbacker!

Old Plank likes this.
  14. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Well that's the point.... it seems to have changed for better IMO.

They've really toned down the fanboy nonsense.

Reminds me of Vintage Guitar with more of an emphasis on players and techniques. I've been through the prog rock issue a few time and keep finding new stuff I missed.

ANYTHING that gets me off the internet when I'm bored is a good investment! Magazines used to be for those of us with attention focussing skills but with internet saying "take my beer" a magazine is like classic novel!

telemnemonics and Old Plank like this.
  15. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've subscribed for a long time now ... a year or two ago they changed the editor-in-chief, a much-needed change imo; the new guy is cool and imo the overall content has improved, some great articles and the reviews are more straight-up. I've always liked long-time reviewer Dave Hunter's knowledgeable gear analyses; and Jim Campilongo's vintage vinyl treasures column always has me listening to pretty cool guitar stuff I never would have known. As far as all the ads, guess how that's how they survive, and who doesn't like a good dose of eye candy?

Slip Kid likes this.
  16. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Used to read them cover to cover, sometimes more than once. Kind of miss the nostalgia of waiting for the new issue in the mailbox and then devouring it.

Now all I have is TDPRI….

Martian, Slip Kid and stepvan like this.
  17. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I imagine it's going to be a long hard road to get people like me back.

ronzhd and telemnemonics like this.
  18. GeneB

GeneB Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Timely post. Got an offer in the mail I couldn't refuse for the actual magazine yesterday. I went through the ordering process then stopped. Why? Because I *had* to agree to them storing my credit card info for future auto renewals. I really don't want to get another cc hack (Home Depot got me last time) nor do I want them to renew automatically at full price. YMMV but buyer beware. I'll stick to reading it online for free.

19. Winky

Winky Tele-Meister

The problem is that we all want quality content for free (or below cost) but then complain bitterly about an advertiser-supported business model. The world has been going this way for decades. Nothing is truly free. If you want quality journalism and independent (i.e. useful) product reviews, it'll cost actual money. I guess few of us really are prepared to pay for that, so here we are.

20. wabashslim

A 6-12-string convertible!

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.