Guitar pedals for bass... Is there a reason not to?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by FortyEight, Jun 21, 2021.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

Cuz I play both, I would rather buy one pedal that works for both. I've used guitar pedals on my bass for recording and haven't been like oh that sucks. I used a flanger on it once and I liked the results. It was not a high quality flanger but worked well. (plastic dan electro) Which I think they are decent enough for lower dollar value.

I think I used another one at some point but I can't remember what now. I just know that flanger worked well. The other day I was playing with my bass and my cry baby wah and I liked that too.

I think I need to buy a compression pedal and I want it more for bass but I could use it for both. And I was hoping I wouldn't "need" a bass dedicated compression pedal.

Like maybe there are certain pedals that don't work as well with bass that are made for guitar... IDK. Just curious if you guys have thoughts or experience on this.

JL_LI likes this.
  2. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Give it a try. Either you'll like it or not, but it's not going to blow anything up!

FortyEight likes this.
  3. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Holic

No reason not to. Might sound a little thin through some, but hey if it sounds good it is good.

FortyEight and Peegoo like this.
  4. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

OK @FortyEight I can speak to this some as both a bassist and guitar player.

For 20 odd years I played bass directly into the DI Box and on a rare occasion used a Zoom Bass unit if I was doing something CRAZY... I love the "Jet" setting on that thing. Anyway I digress.

So I got back into guitar playing and decided I needed a small pedal board. Nothing too exotic, nothing to break the bank, cheap good sounding pedals would work for me.

So I first bought a floor tuner pedal (Donner DT1), a compressor (the green scorpion Joyo), a drive pedal (Joyo Ultimate) and an amp sim (Joyo American Sound and AC Tone). I ran this on my guitar for a while and got where I loved to be able to mute the signal with the tuner.

So I bought another tuner pedal for my bass guitar and got rid of the Snark. So I was sitting at guitar>tuner>DI Box> PA.

Then one day I was messing around with my bass and noticed that I was getting some different attack sounds and not much sustain. That Compressor pedal has a sustain on it, so I put it after the tuner. Wow, my playing cleaned up, I did not hear the volume differences I was hearing before on different strings and the sustain went through the roof! Success! I really did not dig the compressor on the guitar, I felt like it took away all the dynamics when playing so it went onto the floor next to the tuner.

Then I happened to see a guy write a report about the Dr. J Sparrow drive which was a bass amp sim and a DI Box! WOW, two in one and for less than a $100. So I grabbed one and was pleasantly surprised, it actually let me shape the EQ a little better and the DI was much quieter than the DI I was using.

Now I have a problem. I need a small board so I went to the shop and grabbed some plywood and made a board for my pedals. The only issue is I left some space for MORE pedals.

I had a song that needed the bass to give a little growl and since I had the Ultimate Drive it went on the bass board. I prefer a TS sound on the guitar, but that OCD clone sounds great on bass. Then I went to my old box full of guitar stuff and found an old Danelectro Slap Back delay pedal and it went onto the board as well.

So as of today I have Tuner>Compressor>Ultimate Drive>Slap Back Delay>Dr J Sparrow Drive/DI Box as my bass board.

I have to say, it sounds really good for what it cost me.

I will say this as well. The TS clone I have, does not sound very good on bass while the OCD clone sounds really good.
    The compressor I have (Joyo Green) does bass well, while the small compressor I bought at Amazon (Flatstones, I think) sounded horrible.
    The Dani Slap Back doesn't do well on guitar but sounds glorious on bass.

Some guitar pedals work while others don't for bass. Hopefully what I have written will help you make some decisions.

the other option is to get one of these...

[​IMG]

Download all the bass patches you want. Pick your amp sim, delay, compressor, etc and have it all in one package for about 5 bills.

68Telebass and FortyEight like this.
  5. Beebe

Beebe Tele-Meister

If the kick is going to do the job of filling in the low lows than it should be fine. Most guitar pedals will cut the lows, although some don't. Although if the song calls for the bass to fill in below the kick, then you may be stuck with a weaker song than it could be.

Cadillac_Mike and FortyEight like this.
  6. FortyEight

Well, for live playing I don't plan on doing anything. I think what I got going on is pretty decent. But I was thinking about for recording it would be good. Just not completely sure. Which is why I posted the other thread. But for recording it might actually be GOOD if it cut some lows. Possibly. The last recording I did I had the lows really up there and to me it seems to distort quicker when I'm trying to record when I got the lows banging.

7. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

Some pedals like the Boss Flanger have inputs for both bass and guitar.

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have a bass head with an effects loop, and it seems to be a parallel loop and mixes in some uneffected sound. The amp doesn't have a gain knob/distortion.

9. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I think a compressor would help your recording process, from what you’ve described. There are a lot of them, and this site will give you a bunch of short comparative reviews. This guy goes into some detail about which ones work better or worse for bass, and why/why not. The FAQ is useful also:

http://www.ovnilab.com/

10. FortyEight

When I was on JHS website and looking at different pedals they have, seems like most of them are designed for both bass and guitar..... I can't remember if the 3 series is. But their pulp and peel for 229 is not just a compressor but a pre amp too. With an XLR out......

68Telebass likes this.
  11. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Aaaand- as in the other thread! A good DI box works well.

for more fun, and a unit of options- try this.
    79B6E325-7808-4364-80F0-94C53D3BCD4D.jpeg
    And it lights up purty as well!!
    9D6721A9-119A-4528-9C21-129CDFF5ECC3.jpeg

That’s in front of the rumble 40-:cool:

screefer likes this.
  12. FortyEight

Lots of purdy lights on that one too!!!

I emailed JHS today about their 3 series and they confirmed it's good for bass too. In a very timely manner I must say.

13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Some pedals don’t work, mostly due to EQ points. Some work with both. I play both and I look forward brands that understand that. Wampler, JHS, Walrus and many others generally work on both. Some, like very light ODs simply wash out with bass. Some modulation pedals are better for one or the other. My Julia works great on bass and guitar, my Josh Wah sounds great on bass but not as good with guitar.
    I’m a fuzz and OD and preamp fiend and I also have a ton of envelopes for no good reason.

Pulp’N’Peel compressor is transparent and great for bass and guitar. So is Wampler Ego.

FortyEight and 68Telebass like this.
  14. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

in the 80's I ran a stereo Bi-Amp rig, an SVT with 1 cabinet, and a red knob twin with a Big Muff. It was awesome, it sounded like World War 3 (in a good way) tons of volume with low bass, with some crunchiness coming from the twin/muff. I needed all that to keep up with 2 Marshall playing guitarists

15. FortyEight

From the few videos I've watched, I'm in love with JHS's fuzz. It's just a sound that sounds right to me but yet I've never had one to mess with. My "fuzz" interest has been piqued by using my Fender Rumble 40 on guitar a few times now and it has a fuzz leaning. But I mean the JHS pedal goes soooooo much further with that gated sound and just sounds cool.....

Maybe I should get the fuzz pedal, and use the compression on the fuzz for bass and just turn all the settings way down to see if I can get a sort of clean sound. With just a little hair...... (I say that under the assumption that I understand that all distortion pedals compress some, and I'm guessing it's the same with the fuzz) I guess I should ask.

Killing Floor likes this.
  16. Jowes_84

Jowes_84 Tele-Meister

Check the JHS YouTube video where they cover exactly this
    Use an EQ pedal to make up for weird frequencies or lacking bass

68Telebass likes this.
  17. FortyEight

You know what it's called? I watched the JHS video that went through ALL of the 3 series pedals. I did see other ones listed though... I think, but some were done by other people.

18. Jowes_84

Jowes_84 Tele-Meister

Toadtele and Danjabellza like this.
  19. Jowes_84

Jowes_84 Tele-Meister

The bassist is bad-a** and seems very nice.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  20. Jowes_84

Jowes_84 Tele-Meister

BTW you don’t need to use all fancy and expensive pedals. A Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss EQ (also the Guitar version), and Big Muff Bass on dry Mode are all I use and more than enough for me. Sometimes I go directly without pedals and it sounds fine too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.