1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitar or Music Related Injuries and Inconveniences

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Restless Native, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Restless Native

Restless Native TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Silly idea I know. I haven’t played for a month or so, so callouses are being built up again. However I now have to type one fingered on touch screens (iPads, iPhones, etc) as the screens don’t register the callouses.

e.g., thi I m tying o typ uing both hn (“this is me trying to type using both hands”; “both” only showed up thanks to autocorrect).

Tell me about your injuries/inconveniences and funny stories...

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There's something wrong with your iPad.

thegeezer likes this.
  3. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Probably not. I have the same problem with touchscreens.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I haven't had any issues with touchscreens and calluses.

A few years ago I had a minor stroke that reduced some dexterity and caused pain in my hands. So, I switched over to playing more slide.

5. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Just your basic hand cramps and sting ends under the the fingernails and eyeballs

6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm really paying for this mistake, big time. When I wear a certain kind of slipper when I play sitting down at home, I apparently raise my right leg slightly by doing a sort of seated, one-legged en pointe. Because my worst nerve damage is in the feet and lower legs, I don't alway feel everything that is going on, especially involving proprioception. Both my doc and I started noticing that my second toe has been getting a callus, and wondered why. I think I know.

The problem is that this is one of the few times that my nerve pain has been triggered by a physical action. Generally, almost nothing that I do to my legs and feet has any effect on the onset, severity, duration, and "shape" of the pain that I feel. But this toe seems to be the center of the pain activity. It is not an external, physical type of pain. Nothing I do can modulate it in any way. Sometimes the pain moves to a different toe on the same foot, or to a toe on the other foot.

This is all I got. I love the feel and sound of my guitar. When other types of pain are distracting me, I'll play some blues. I'm noticing how some of my ideas or licks have a nice physical feel, with a pleasant shift in balance or a rock of the wrist in a bend. I guess this means that some of my blues playing involves licks that give me physical pleasure in the hands. I'll bet this is true for everyone, at some point.

Restless Native likes this.
  7. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Carpal tunnel used to affect my left hand until I repositioned...

8. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

My guitar playing related issues are not caused by my playing but the result of damage done that affects my playing. I used the word "damage" very deliberately. Some might categorize a couple of issues as illness related, but I know that the "illnesses" (diabetes and heart issues) are the result of damage done to my body due to poor diet and lack of exercise. Perhaps my main issues/injuries should be the subject of a different thread.

What probably fits this thread is my issues with carpel tunnel. I have not had it diagnosed as CT, but I'm convinced that's what it is. The sensation I feel (right hand) is in that location on my wrist. In addition to a "pain" (that may be too strong a word for it, but...) there, I tend to lose feeling in my fingers, particularly the middle and ring fingers, or so it seems to me.

9. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Pain to my butt from kicking it because I don't play enough.

10. kubiakl

kubiakl Tele-Meister

I have the same problem with touch screens and callouses. It's not always an issue, but if I get a callous on my thumb from adjusting the thumb wheels on my Gretsch and Les Paul bridges it can make typing a hassle on an iPhone. (I wind up adjusting them a lot more than I probably should trying to get that magic perfect setup.)

11. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I was having trouble with carpal tunnel and a lot of tendinitis in both hands/forearms last year.
    Doctors were talking possible surgery in the near future, and it was gradually getting worse.
    Then everything changed when I started the stretching exercise routines in this book:

Carpal Tunnel Relief.jpg

$22 on Amazon and I strongly recommend it if you are dealing with any tendonitis/carpal tunnel
    or repetitive strain injuries of any kind. YMMV of course, but I developed a routine of daily stretches
    for myself from this and have almost ZERO issues now. I do have to battle it with the stretches
    most everyday, and the pain can return if I go for more than a week without stretching, but the
    stuff I learned in this book WORK, at least for me. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

bender66 likes this.
  12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

my latest picking style.. middle finger down.....:D

a mild inconvenience for a week or so.... had a small 1/4" lump cut out of the back of my thumb yesterday.... better off than on... I had to tape my thumb in to stop it catching on things .. kinda hurts a bit when you forget it doesn't like moving much atm....I don't want to ruin a good stitch job..;)

guitar playing doesn't seem to bother it much, thankfully....

picking hand.jpg

tery likes this.
  13. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

1977... touched another guitarist's machine heads when we were trying to tune up. A very interesting lesson in defective grounding. I've made a point of never repeating it even though it was apparently quite spectacular.

tery likes this.
  14. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Nothing terrible. Strings into the palm of the hand, shredded fingers, hearing damage.

tery likes this.
  15. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Falling off the stage and hurting my feelings :oops:

16. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.