Guitar Mill, Murfreesboro TN?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Johnson johnson, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Anyone know anything about this shop? I did a search and found no references to speak of. They have some nice looking ash...

2. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

They dont offer light weight swamp ash bodies, everything i looked at was over 5.5 lb,& it is as expensive as warmoth! Or USACG! I got a killer 3.5lb ash tele from USACG, it was vintage spec & just awesome!!

3. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

you cant buy car tires from them either.

Johnson johnson likes this.
  4. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Are they out of biz?

Not too long ago I saw on their site lt wt. sw ash and alder

5. eedwards

eedwards Tele-Meister

I posted a thread about my new Strat in January in this thread:
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-daphne-is-here.701735/

My experience with Guitar Mill's products has been very good. Both guitars that came from there were excellently made and play like a dream. They are a small shop of about 5-6 people, but they turn out a very good product.

If you want to build your own, they have a great price on the finished body and neck + hardware for $1000. You supply your own electronics and labor and get a very good guitar. I got exactly what I wanted in a Strat, to go with my Tele that they assembled. However, as a result of a bad experience with my body, they will no longer do a Strat with Paulownia wood, a two-pole bridge and a "swimming-pool" rout. :) The wood failed at the posts (not a manufacturing defect) and they had to add some structure and reinforce the mount for the poles. I just got it back from my setup guy and the guitar is such a special thing to play.

I don't know about other builders, but I would buy from them again. But no Paulownia. :)

Johnson johnson and Doug 54 like this.
  6. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

I just checked. The site is up and is user friendly

Heavy bodies?? They offer 4 lbs and less sw ash bodies for only $25 more. Warmoth also charges a bit more for lighter stuff. Big whoop for that $ amount.

Tempe Beck, you didn't look very hard at either site.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  7. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Thanks for the replies folks, I've been thinking about assembling my own and Murfreesboro is drivable for me. I'm still too anal or insecure about strictly mail order without any kind of "hands on". I appreciate everyone's input, you all have a good weekend.

eedwards likes this.
  8. eedwards

eedwards Tele-Meister

Hey, if Murfreesboro is driveable, go over there and tour the factory. I did last summer and met everybody there, saw the operation and asked any questions I wanted to. At the time, I had thought I might order a body, but after the tour, I decided to just get the entire kit (body, neck, hardware). I'm sure that if you talk to them, they can make exactly what you want and it will be beautiful. Good luck.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm writing this from Germantown, but when I was mostly in NOLA I tried to order a half dozen bodies from Guitar Mill, cash and carry and get a bit of a discount, they treated me like I had smallpox or something. It was a long time ago but as I understand it the operation is essential unchanged over about 10 years now.

I tried Warmoth next without really looking at their bodies and the one they sent me, someone had printed "ugly" in pencil inside the rout. Inside and out, ugly. I still buy necks from Warmoth but their bodies are kinda yucky, I think.

I bought primarily USACG and Allparts bodies since then. Very happy with both, and most especially USACG. Yeah, I know - west coast. I sure would like to buy from Tennessee (and I pass that way all the time on the way to my cabin in North Carolina) but they left me cold.

10. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

http://bfy.tw/BNat

Mario Martin's shop has a very solid reputation.

You might also want to check out the guitars he builds: http://marioguitars.com/.

11. Allegro

Allegro NEW MEMBER!

I bought a 1-piece light weight Swamp Ash body from them in March.....went to the shop and hand picked the one I wanted.

They are family owned and run small business - nice people. I will do business with them again.

12. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

IMG_1086.JPG
    Love mine. Pawlonia body Fred Stuart black guard pickup in bridge Lollar in neck. Twangy and sweet.

eedwards likes this.
  13. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Had them make and finish a Strat neck for me. It turned out perfect. Pretty expensive when all was said and done, but quality can't be beat.

14. decibel

decibel TDPRI Member

I've used them and can't recommend them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.