1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Guitar Man" Book

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hockey Rocker, May 28, 2008.

1. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

Thanks to contributor Charlie Bernstein's suggestion on another thread, I picked up the 2007 paperback "Guitar Man: A Six-String Odyssey, or, You Love that Guitar More than You Love Me" by British music journalist Will Hodgkinson. As Charlie pointed out, it's the story of a thirty-four-year-old's goal to play a gig on guitar in six months, even though he's never played a note.

If you are a late-comer to guitar playing like me, this makes for some fun, light, summertime reading. Hodkinson's self-effacing style is endearing and I found myself engrossed in the lead-up to the gig, or "impending doom". Guitar Man is all about making music to satisfy the soul. It's not about the gear and it's not about virtuosity. It's about learning the guitar amid the pressures and demands of modern life as a working husband, father and friend.

Good book.

2. magicguitar

magicguitar Tele-Afflicted

Just read some reviews on Amazon. I'll have to pick up a copy.

3. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Sounds like its right up my alley.

4. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

check out the follow up book, too. it's called "Song Man". this time his goal is to write a song and get it recorded. very entertaining.

5. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

Thanks for your advice, Wild Eagle. I really enjoyed "Guitar Man" but thought that "Song Man" may prove to be too much of a good thing. Wrong. I really liked it.

Hodgkinson has no fear. He will approach anyone and whip out his guitar. That's this guy's real talent, writing aside. This book I read while in Northern England, among other EU stops, and it certainly added to the appeal for me. There was a good bit of focus on British Folk in "Song Man" so reading it from a hotel room that overlooked England's lush, rolling, hills was pleasant.

Personally I've never shared Hodgkinson's desire to be preserved on vinyl, not with the advent of the USB interface and DAW software, but it gives "Song Man" an interesting premise. The cast of characters that Will meets along his journey is quite impressive, including Ray Davies and Andrew Lloyd Weber, but in the end it is Hodgkinson's close circle of friends that provide the unique appeal of the songwriter's tale.

Good book for mature, improving, guitarists.

6. Tim73

Tim73 Friend of Leo's

A great book - I've been aware of Song Man for a while & must get around to picking up a copy.

7. magicguitar

magicguitar Tele-Afflicted

I picked up 'Guitar man' and am about half way through. Great story. My daughter gave me an Amazon gift card, so I just ordered 'Song Man'.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.