Guitar Maintenance and Temp

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by idflyfish, Oct 12, 2019.

1. idflyfish

idflyfish TDPRI Member

Hello Everyone,

I have a workbench in my garage but with winter coming on I'm concerned about doing maintenance there due to temp. I have recently bought a plug in heater which should keep the area warmish. Should I be worried about temp? If I have a heater and the outside temp is above freezing should I worry? I know this is a strange question but I'd be interested in your thoughts.

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

The simple rule to follow, for me ... If you are comfortable in an environment, it's fine for a guitar ... I wouldn't like to spend 8 hours in the trunk of a car on a hot day, or any day for that matter ... Any extremes of temperature or humidity or aridity are to be avoided ... Attics, basements, garages, sheds ...
    Maybe a bit much, but better to err on the side of caution ...

3. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's

yes - personal comfort rule works.

I can't remember humidity & temp ranges but I know when I'm uncomfortable. And yer D28 can't "put on a wooly sweater"

Peace - Deeve

4. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

You're in Boise? Outside temperature above freezing? Surely you jest.

Your comfort is immaterial, it's the temperature of the guitar that's relevant. Temperature has a significant affect upon the wood.

If the heater is sufficient to heat the area of the bench, without blowing warm air onto your work...sure, you'll be fine. But if you expect reliable results with a heater blowing hot air on the neck you're trying to adjust, forget it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.