1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitar Madness - junk pickup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by superweezy, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

IBTL!

2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Actually, epoxy or silicone both sound better than my plan to use wax. I’ve used wax in the past to install Fralin baseplates on Strat pickups, but epoxy will be easier in this case, since I can’t completely remove the base.

Thanks!

3. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

89881B40-0C79-40A4-991A-A9A375C5E44C.jpeg @superweezy @Jlwctn

Hmm.. might not be the same pickup after all that I have. I just measured mine at 9k - I thought it was lower. Although the wiring looks the same and it’s definitely the same baseplate, many Chinese manufactures are probably using the same components. But I’ll try what you mentioned for mounting screws - looks the same size as mine in that respect. Mine has copper shielding over the magnet which also seems to extend around the pickup coils under the tape.

4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Use some mineral spirits on a paper towel to thoroughly clean the parts of wax residue because any adhesive you use will not adhere to it.

If that were my repair to do, I'd use an epoxy putty like JB Weld. It stays where you press it into place and doesn't run or drip. Liquid epoxies such as Devcon and 5-Minute are quite messy when working with small parts like this.

Jlwctn and mkdaws32 like this.
  5. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I have a set of his GM 57 humbuckers and quite like them. No issues so far. Sorry you had issues. The bridge pickup is in this one. 03835913-6D9B-43B9-9DBF-0B776E60EB9A.jpeg

joe_cpwe, Jlwctn and Doctorx33 like this.
  6. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

I just put a GM 57 Special Alnico II in the neck and GM Overwound Alnico II cream in the bridge position of this Hamer. I like the way they sound and the price is right. :)

Will very likely use Guitar Madness again in other low-investment guitar projects.

20200302_132902.jpg

SamIV likes this.
  7. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

I’m a fan of the Alnico 5 60s strat set I have, as well as the Alnico 5 P90s. They are Artecs, good quality, and sound great for a fair price. Not much more can be expected.

joe_cpwe likes this.
  8. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have one of the “firebird” neck pickups I am about to put in a telebird.
    How do you like the sound aside from the them not being correct firebird construction. I think I paid 18$ so it’s not like I have a lot invested.

9. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

To resolder the tele pickup you would need a very powerful soldering iron. My tech mate uses a 100 watter known as "King Richard" because allegedly the deposed King Richard II was done to death by having a hot iron inserted into his fundament! If it's a cheap pickup have you thought of using epoxy? Non reversable but!

10. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

And that would have been ok if I liked the tone. MAybe I don't even know if I'd like a real vintage FB pup. Not like I ever get to try one out. I suspect its the exact same ones that came in my washburn ps10. Maybe I should find a p90 type to put in. Seems hard to screw them up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.