Guitar Madness HOT Alnico V Humbucker

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
This Ibanez AS-73 needed a bit more umph in the "OH YEAH!" department, and although the guitar now lacks the classic look of the original chrome-covered humbuckers, it really screams now and oozes with feedback (the good kind). Bridge pickup is a Guitar Madness HOT Alnico V Humbucker, 15.5K.

The neck pickup is a Guitar Madness 57 Alnico II Special, which sounds great with good note clarity. Kind of a weird pairing, I know. But I'm a-liking it. It doesn't really clean up when I back the volume down, but I can get a good low gain classic rock vibe with the volume around 2.
IMG_20220922_173656649~2.jpg

Last edited:

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
UPDATE: I just discovered something with regard to the setup noted above in my OP. For years my approach to a good amount of overdrive gain was a low- to mid-output pickup, and using a pedal or something to push the amp where I needed it. But now I think the better approach is what I did above (use a high-output pickup to drive a lower-gain amp) because there's virtually no noise. A stomp box or even a high-gain amp will introduce noise into the signal, and I've used noise gates to battle this. But I found that just using a really hot pickup to smash the front-end of a lower gain amp gives me a very quiet set up. Also, using a pedal to push the gain sometimes results in the "bad" kind of feedback at higher volumes, whereas this set up does not, and I get all kinds of "good" feedback.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
UPDATE: I just discovered something with regard to the setup noted above in my OP. For years my approach to a good amount of overdrive gain was a low- to mid-output pickup, and using a pedal or something to push the amp where I needed it. But now I think the better approach is what I did above (use a high-output pickup to drive a lower-gain amp) because there's virtually no noise. A stomp box or even a high-gain amp will introduce noise into the signal, and I've used noise gates to battle this. But I found that just using a really hot pickup to smash the front-end of a lower gain amp gives me a very quiet set up. Also, using a pedal to push the gain sometimes results in the "bad" kind of feedback at higher volumes, whereas this set up does not, and I get all kinds of "good" feedback.

Interesting and valid point about drive and noise. If you can get a set of pickups to do clean when rolled back and do hard OD, you're there. Unless you're just doing dirty, then it's even easier.

Last edited:

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
Sweet rig and setup.

I know this was the old setup but might be worth a try, instead of using an OD for high gain, why not try a clean boost such as a Vertex Effects Boost or a Boss GE-7 set flat with the volume dimed.

Though for this setup, just an EQ might get you into the Goldilocks zone of tone for everything from low to high gain without an OD. I need to get myself a SourceAudio EQ as I want presets for the different guitars I use. The crazy feedback could be the hollow body feedback not sure the pedal. My 336 feedbacks worse than my chambered Johnny A when following your setup.