Guitar Karaoke

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ZenGuitarist, Sep 20, 2020.

1. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

Because of what's happening in the world, I haven't been able to play with anyone so instead I've been spending a lot of time tossing CDs into the player and playing along with the songs. I was telling a friend of mine about this the other day and he referred to what I was doing as guitar karaoke. I laughed.

Afterwards I was thinking, they have karaoke bars for singers so why not for karaoke bars for guitarists? Surely someone has come up with the idea already but I can't remember ever hearing about one. Has anyone heard about or played in one?

String Tree likes this.
  2. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Karaoke and guitars is like water and oil. What you are doing is jamming with records.

Matthias and ZenGuitarist like this.
  3. ZenGuitarist

Fair enough. I was thinking along the lines of backing tracks where you could cut out one of the instruments and play that part yourself and rotate playing with a group of friends. It probably is a stupid idea though.

4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think it's a fine idea, but why stop at guitar. Any instrument would be cool. I'd like to hear a harmonica do the guitar solo on Stairway.

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Head over to Twanger Central, right here on the TDPRI. It's really a virtual guitar karaoke joint. You can participate even with the most basic of recording equipment, e.g., an iPhone running Garage Band and an IK Multimedia iRig.

We kick around backing tracks and spray our own brand of guitar all over them. There are some kick-ass players there (and I do mean kick ass) and I steal all their stuff ;) The critiques are good because it can only help you improve. That is why I'm there.

What is most interesting to me is how everyone begins with the exact same track, and how different the various takes are.

And everyone is super supportive; there are no egos and there are all levels of participants--from pro players that get *name* participation, all the way down the ladder to a hack like me, whose guitar knowledge consists of, "Yep...that looks like a guitar."

Check it:

https://www.tdpri.com/forums/twanger-central.21/

ZenGuitarist and dlaroe like this.
  6. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I can see it as an online thing but not a money making bar idea.

7. ZenGuitarist

You know, I've never wandered into that subforum but I will do that and check it out. Thanks.

Peegoo likes this.
  8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We call it Jam Night around these parts. :lol:

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  9. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

The restaurant my wife and I frequent in Granbury often has a guitarist who plays and sings C&W and light rock songs, and has the rest of the parts on backing tracks, which he calls up on his iPad, so it's definitely doable. This was a shot I took on their last day for in-person dinner, before the big two month or so shutdown due this year's minor unpleasantness, starting in mid-March:

[​IMG]

ZenGuitarist likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.