Guitar into amp...speaker out into guitar input on another amp ??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tweeet, Jan 18, 2020.

1. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Holic

I'm bored with my life at the mo....not going into a long story but...on the plus side there's a Blackheart little giant for sale that I may get at a steal...why I want it I don't know..but it got me thinking. I use my 12 string electric through a janglebox into a Roland JC22. Could I plug the 12 through the janglebox into the Blackheart then take the speaker out into the guitar input of the JC22 ??? I never done this before ...just wondering if anyone here has...and any pros and cons ? Sounds dodgy to me but.....my alternative is that I may build my own speaker but that's another story !

2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Only if you want to let the magic smoke out...

3. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I'm rather bored too but i wouldn't do that, i'd rather get drunk tonight and see what happens. ;););)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Yeah, don’t do that. If you’re bored, google impedance. Don’t stop reading until you know why not to do that.

5. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

Guitar into amp...speaker out into guitar input on another amp ??

The way you want to do it is a very bad idea : don't. You will damage your amps... :eek:

-tbln

tweeet likes this.
  6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

By all means go ahead and do it.
    Firemen have to make a living too.

nojazzhere and beagle like this.
  7. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

If you modify the Blackheart to have a load resistor and few other parts to bring it down to line level, it could be an awesome overdrive box. It's basically what Randy Bachman used for the "American Woman" sound. That was a single ended amp that Gar Gilles of Garnet Amplification made for him. Bachman was doing the same thing you are trying, but had blown up his amp. Here is the story from Randy taken from the Garnet website at this link

http://garnetamps.com/zog_story.htm

Gar and I developed this unit together back in '65-'66. Growing up playing violin, I loved the sustain, especially of a viola or cello. So early on in the mid '60's, I found out that by plugging a small amplifier into a bigger amplifier, I could get this sound. Now I was taking the power out, which normally would go to the speaker and plugging it into the input of another amp. The result, for a few short minutes was a cool, great new sustained sound. Gar Gillies had a tv/radio repair shop, was a cool musician, and I wasn't embarrassed to take in my amps, which were literally burned by the power misuse; fried, to say the least. Gar asked what the heck I was doing, and when I told him, he said, you're insane to do this, its very dangerous. So he offered to help me do it a safer and less destructive way. Gar proceeded to build me a tube pre-amp, which when put into another amp, got me the desired sound. But not really, the sound was a little weird in a Fender amp which was all that was around, so Gar decided to get parts from Heathkit and build an amplifier to go with the unit. We were looking for a name, and at the time I was reading a book with HERZOG written across the cover. Hence the name, so we could stop referring to the unit as the "noise thing". I used to go to his shop on Osborne Ave late at night after gigs, and stay till the wee hours of the morning, making the most incredible Moose and Ox bellowing, distortion/blotto screeching sounds that would make us laugh. But once it was smoothed out, it was smooooth. So that became my lead guitar solo sound. It was first featured on The Guess Who CBC weekly show, Let's Go and Music Hop in 1967-68 but really came to the forefront as the sound of "No Time", "American Woman" and many other songs on the Guess Who albums, "Wheatfield Soul", "Canned Wheat", and "American Woman". I continued using it later on "Brave Belt I and II", and then on Bachman Turner Overdrive albums.

Tim S and nojazzhere like this.
  8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Don't do it

But if you do it, be sure to get video

But yeah don't do it

nojazzhere, tweeet and beagle like this.
  9. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Mostly no, but with a dash of yes.

Your Blackheart needs a load attached that is sufficiently large that it can absorb the power it's putting out. That's generally the speaker. It could be some other kind of load, like a sufficiently large resistor, but generally it's the speaker. The important thing is that it's there.

On the question of the JC22, I don't know what that is, but it needs a signal small enough that it doesn't fry the input stage. A simple resistor in parallel to the speaker will be enough to attenuate the signal sufficiently. It's actually quite simple. This is exactly how EVH has done his wet-dry-wet setup for decades.

So, no, you can't just daisy chain your amps and let it go at that. But you can add an attenuating tap that will make it possible.

10. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Holic

Thanks all. I WON'T DO IT !! Some excellent answers there. Post closed...I'll move on :)

Thin white duke likes this.
  11. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you obtain a D.I. box that is designed for -speaker- level signals, it's doable. Speaker out --> D.I. --> load resistor of the correct rating and resistance connected to the through connector will get you the signal and look after your first amp.

Take the signal from the D.I. through a good buffer pedal into the input of your second amp. Voila!.

Don't use a line level only D.I. inline with a speaker. Smoke escapes.

12. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

You won't be bored for long if you do it....then you'll be really bored after the first 2 minutes.

13. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Probably not a great idea, but...

As a kid, I ran a battery powered amp's output into the input of a practice amp. It was gobs of gain, which thoroughly entertained myself and a friend. I imagine that little battery powered amp wasn't producing much power though (definitely less than 1 watt).

Any way, if it is the speakers from the JC-22 that you want to try with the Little Giant, you could wire the speaker output of the Little Giant to the JC-22 without killing anything. Just be careful that you don't run the Little Giant without a speaker load, else bad things will likely happen.

Tim S likes this.
  14. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Actually you should be able to do it. As said with a DI box. Or just a load resistor for the BH. It is a 5W amp, it only puts pout so much voltage (if properly loaded with a resistor). No more than a pedal running off of two 9 volt batteries.

15. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

nooooo!! BUT you can use the speaker of the JC22, when you disconnect it from the amp and have a cable to go direct to the speaker...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.