1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitar Interval Game: "Interval Madness"

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Hockey Rocker, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

I've been trying to get better at spotting intervals and I found this. It's fun and effective, I think. It's certainly helping me. I won't share my lame score, but I'm getting better. I'm sure some of you can do this in your sleep and may only be slowed by the ability to type in your answer, but for developing guitarists I think it's a great tool.

http://www.hotfrets.com/chords/guitar_interval_game.asp

2. blacklinefish

blacklinefish Tele-Afflicted

Hey, that's cool.

I cannot think of an instrument that is better suited to recognizing and memorizing intervals than the guitar. Even when I was a weak player, and only knew the names of the notes in the first position, I started to master the skill of recognizing intervals. The other music students in college was trying to memorize this stuff in the abstract (like recognizing it on the staff, which is good) - or comparing it to their instruments. The vocal students were stuck, the wind/brass students only had fingerings to go by, and the poor piano players learned that the mighty keyboard was confounding them.

In my mind I was thinking "one string up, one fret back - major third; one string up, two frets up - perfect fifth..."

The other students stopped eyeing me with suspicion and just assumed I had perfect pitch or something. I didn't (and still don't), but strings (especially guitar) are the best at visualizing intervals. (Well, there is that pesky major third between the 2nd and 3rd strings, but that just makes it interesting.)

--gh

3. OutlawSteph1975

OutlawSteph1975 Friend of Leo's

This is great. It's going in my favorites. I'm getting too many wrong. :oops:

4. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I certainly won't be sharing my score! This really shows up my entire lack of theory, which I mostly bluff thru by ear.

I've no doubt this would help me - I'll be back.

5. Big Tony

Big Tony Friend of Leo's

That was fun!

I suck, but it's fun.

Thanks for the link!

/ Tony

6. psychotelepathic

psychotelepathic Tele-Holic

Thanks for posting. That's pretty cool.

7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The sounds helped. I'd rather see a flat fingerboard rather than one that is angled.

I agree with blackline that the guitar is great for intervals. I still visualize the guitar when I think of intervals in my teaching.

It's funny, when I learned interval sounds my friends and identified them with certain songs. Thus when I heard a major 6th, my first thought was "there's a place for us..."

This is a great resource.

8. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks. That's a cool and useful game.

9. blacklinefish

blacklinefish Tele-Afflicted

Bernstein was a genius. I bet a good example of each interval can come from a prominent and catchy part of West Side Story. I remember our professor using quite a few in our skills class.

I agree that the sounds help. It also helps that the sounds are replicating a timbre we are familiar with. A lot of skills testing uses near-sinewave tones that are aurally confusing. I remember when another professor was doing dictation and ear-training testing in our last skills course. He demonstrated that he could name every note played on a piano, and confessed it was only the piano that he could do this with. I was fascinated and spell-bound by his performance. A student had written an 8-measure choral-like progression for another assignment, and played it before the class. The instructor, without ever seeing it, played it again - perfectly. It wasn't even a decent example of composition, which I think made it harder.

Years later, I hear certain guitar parts and can tell which notes they are. Not always, but it has been happening more often.

--gh

10. telechaser

telechaser Tele-Afflicted

I've been playing everyday since I read this thread. Thanks for the link. I'm still slow but improving a lot.

11. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

I'm glad I posted this and happy that it is going over well.

Yes, hearing the interval was something sorely lacking from my ability. My adult school music teacher is all about hearing the interval first and then playing and naming it. This has improved my playing quite a bit. It's almost as though there was a big gap in my training and the opportunity to fill it is very exciting.

The game is addicting.

12. DJG105

DJG105 Tele-Meister

Fun game, very addicting indeed.

proud to say i made the leader board at 81st place with 1170. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.