Guitar Identification

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by LWP11, Jan 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. LWP11

LWP11 TDPRI Member

Hello, I am new to the guitar world and Im not very knowledgeable when it comes to some of the earlier models. I have an old Fender electric guitar serial number 20594. Ive found a little info on the date based on the ser number which appears to be around the late 50s. If any one has any info regarding age, model and value....id appreciate it.
    thanks

2. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Appears to be an old Duo-Sonic. Two-pickup variant of Musicmaster which is written on your headstock. Short-scale student guitar. They shared a common neck in the first gen guitars. No idea of the value, but that should be enough for you to search around.

Greggorios likes this.
  3. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Holic

I'm no expert but a quick look at Fender's serial number dating, and a little info about when they stopped using that anodized pickguard tells me it's probably a 1958 Musicmaster.
    Screenshot_20200127-121913.png

Greggorios and ale.istotle like this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

5. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looks VERY interesting. Hoping that someone here can suggest someone near you who can help identify specifics for you. Please be careful with it, particularly taking it apart if you don't have any experience. Best luck with it. Hope you'll keep us updated. Lucky you!

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Sweet!

7. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

It’s probably a ‘59 Musicmaster. The gold pick guards were done across the board in 1959 so that’s a giveaway. It would have only come with the neck pickup that looks original. The other was probably added later.

it was a entry level student guitar and I think they were made earlier than the Duo-Sonics ever were.

cool guitars! I’d hang onto it if I were you!! Looks like somebody played it a lot, which means it’s probably a pretty fun guitar to play.

Not worth a ton, maybe $6-700 but probably less. Looks like the finish was probably stripped and redone. Don’t think they had a natural finish option in 59.

Most of those have a shorter scale than most fenders, which is probably why the values aren’t super crazy. Think it’s a 24” scale for most, and a standard 25.5” could be custom order but was rare.

My advice is to find and amp plug it in, crank the volume and have a blast. That’s a sweet little find! Whatever you do don’t sell it. You’ll never get another one again, and you will want it back if you sell it.

Torren61 and Greggorios like this.
  8. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

As others have said...Late 50's Fender Musicmaster.

The body has had it's finish stripped off and looks to have been heavily sanded. The bridge pickup is a later addition. They originally only came with one pickup. A few changed screws here and there also. These things will absolutely affect it's value to a collector. On the upside, everything else looks good and it's as well made as any 1950's Fender guitar. How does it play?

Torren61 and Greggorios like this.
  9. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

LWP11 and Greggorios like this.
  10. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

11. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Agree, refinished Musicmaster with added pickup. Duo Sonic and Musicmaster bodies were taken from the same pile so adding a pickup to a MM only involves cutting the pickguard, the routing is already done.

A nice condition all original MM from '58-'59 would typically sell for $1800-2200 depending on the dealer. Nicely refinished body and you're probably down to $1200-1400, and amateur refin and further mods probably $600-800 or so. Many of these get parted out in which case it's probably worth $800 in parts.

Here are my two, Duo from '58 and a refinished '63 Musicmaster.

[​IMG]

LWP11 and ElJay370 like this.
  12. LWP11

LWP11 TDPRI Member

The guitar was actually my grandfathers and way back in the day he was in a couple bands. He said over the years out of all the guitars he owned....this one was the smoothest best feeling guitar he ever played. Ive messed around with it here and there but im more into the drums. seems to play pretty nice though.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  13. LWP11

LWP11 TDPRI Member

Thank you all for the info. I greatly appreciate it.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.