Guitar hero extravaganza...Is this too much?!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by numi_v, Feb 25, 2010.

1. numi_v

numi_v Former Member

Is this being idiotic? Is this the urge to have premium instruments that you cna actually play without learning to play or is this just ridiculous??! Well some might consider it cool

:confused:

[​IMG]

Read the articles about this guitar hero overreaction

http://www.fakeplasticrock.com/category/fake-plastic-musical-instrument-mod/

They have actually come to fake stompboxes. The cartoons are right, they are only missing the sex and drugs fake accessories...

2. KevinV

KevinV Tele-Meister

I don't see anything wrong with it. As long as folks aren't hurting other people in the process I don't care what they do. I don't think it's any different than us really, we play guitar and want the nicest gear for it that we can afford. For some folks it's model railroading, or cycling, and video games for others. I don't see any reason to be upset about any of them.

3. Key_Of_Off

Key_Of_Off Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I used to moan about Guitar Hero a lot, but it's a fun thing to have at a party. It's an entertaining thing to do with friends where everyone can get involved and have fun.

I kinda wanted one of those controllers just because, well, it IS a Telecaster, but they're only for XBox.

Having said that, you can buy (Fender endorsed) full-size wooden controllers for $300. This I cannot abide. But again, that's just me.

EDIT: One more for the road.

4. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

My kids have the game, and they love it...me, I find it remarkably unsatisfying to play, not fun at all...I'd rather play "real" guitar any day.

As far as the "realistic" looking controllers, I agree with KevinV; video games are fantasy anyway, and if people want to indulge that fantasy, who cares? I'll always have more respect for someone who's competent enough to make a real guitar sound halfway decent, than for someone who's mastered the umpteenth level of Guitar Hero.

5. Broken Light

Broken Light Tele-Meister

A few months ago someone posted this guitar controller and I considered getting one. I didn't but I did get Beatles Rockband last week. It's brilliant, the whole family gathered around, my siblings being exposed to new music, I don't know why I waited so long. As turned out playing real guitar probably helped me pick up the game pretty quickly (not ready for expert yet), although I prefer to 'play' drummer. Not everyone wants to/has the patience to play a real instrument but these games imo, do allow players to experience some of the fun.

6. Blueblood

Blueblood Tele-Holic

Yet more controversy..! lol

It's virtual vs reality...pressing vs plucking

Farmville vs an actual garden...same time constraints only inside vs outside

7. maccampbells

maccampbells Tele-Meister

anybody who buys a controller already reliced is :rolleyes:

That wear needs to come naturally from years of playing.

;)

8. rocketop777

rocketop777 TDPRI Member

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

Guitar Hero and Rock Band can be very benificial to real instrument players. If you have a bad sense of timing and/or rhythm, playing these games can help with that. You have to develop a sense of the downbeat and upbeats and all of that. Now maybe for guys who have already been playing for 10 years with lots of bands and "don't need" the practice... Fine. But some of these younger players don't have the luxury of playing with a drummer all the time.

I think it's cool that these games are opening people up to "new" old classics and I really think it builds a respect for the guys that came before and paved the way for all these new bands.

Remember the game Duck Hunt? Now nobody was all up in arms about how holding a fake gun shooting at fake ducks on a tv screen. All video games are a way to ditch your real life for a little while and dive into something else... Marines shooting terrorists, the New Orleans Saints taking down any other team in Madden, or playing as a rock star who has sold millions of records, rocking out to awesome soundtracks. It's for fun, and was never meant to replace the real thing.

9. Driveout02

Driveout02 TDPRI Member

I agree, in theory. The problem is the game doesn't respond to your "strumming" or button-pushing in real time. It's close, and if you compensate for the millisecond lag, I suppose it would be beneficial for practice.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, but I like to think I have a pretty natural sense of rhythm. I've played Guitar Hero with my brother in law (not a musician) and he completely whomps me every time (I downright suck at that game). Some may think I'm just a sore loser, but I think playing Guitar Hero develops a completely different skill set (i.e. hand eye coordination) than playing a real guitar (tone, harmony, memory, math, puzzle solving skills, note/chord relationships and of course rhythm). Not knocking the game, I suppose it's fun, too.

10. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

There was an article years ago when Guitar Hero first came out that chronicled how people who loved the game were rushing in and buying real guitars..... Then returning them after a few weeks because the real guitar was a bit more difficult than the game. It was a boon for guitar sales for awhile...... Then a boon in the secondary market. I wonder how many Teles were snatched up by folks on TDPRI?

M

11. Key_Of_Off

Key_Of_Off Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The one guy I know who drums picked them up thanks to Rock Band. So it's sure been a big benefit to me!

Guitars, maybe not so much; though I do remember one of the loading screens on the original Guitar Hero suggested actually picking up guitar for reals. Maybe not the best choice, as per Estonian above.

12. numi_v

numi_v Former Member

I just think it would be a whole lot cheaper to use the standard controler and practice on the suspension of disbelief.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.