Guitar hangers... noob question

lucius Mojo

Tele-Meister
I use wall anchors in mine and have not had a problem .
IMG_20230112_194230934.jpg

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Afflicted
1 - Hit a stud
2 - Or use butterfly anchors, never sheetrock screw-type
3 - Or build a wood mount. Wood plank gets anchored to studs, guitar hanger screwed into plank.

I have all three types. Here are some pics of the board mount layout.

20181030_213116.jpg
64Oa5m6_d.jpg
IMG_6279.jpeg

Informal

Friend of Leo's
1 - I would worry if it was nitro
2 - No
3 - Find a stud or use wall anchors. Wall anchors work fine even with heavy guitars. I have a friend who (25 years ago) broke a high end Ibanez neck by not mounting to a stud or using an anchor. :(
The plastic anchors SHOULD be ok for your average guitar, But I would never do it.... I use those things in the garage all the time for lighter wall organization (brooms, shovels etc...)

One day I heard a crash in the garage, and a light cordless blower had ripped loose (weighed maybe 10 lbs without battery)... missed my wife's car by just a few inches.

They will easily hold 2-3 times that weight if it's static... but for something you hang up/ take down dozens, or even hundreds of times, it will start affecting the integrity of the drywall.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
I hanged all my electrics with Hercules hangers for years with no issues. That said...

1) I have no idea about nitro. No idea if any of my guitars even has nitro.
2) No issues. But I only used them on my electrics. No special reason for that, I just ran out of room.

Also, +100 on making sure you use wall studs to be safe.

Another thing: The Hercules ones come with rubber rings that fit around the sides that hold the guitar, to suit different neck thicknesses. On some of my guitars (definitely my Tele, I remember) I had to use one on one side so that the guitar hung down straight.

VWAmTele

Friend of Leo's
FWIW - Rickenbacker, who have the most finicky finishes, only use Hercules. That's what I've used, but have had two crack (thankfully, not fall) and they honored their guarantee and replaced them. But I now worry about future incidents. I've had a String Swing melt through a nitro finish. Again, the company made good on the guitar repair but it left me looking for an alternative.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
For those do it yourselfers with cash flow problems.

Get you a nice 2x4 or 1x6 for the wall at whatever length you need. That allows you to hit a stud and space the guitars where you want them.

then get you some of these.

shovel hangers, which you screw into the 2x4.

I made my own at the last house for like the cost of one of the fancy hangers.

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
I posted my hanger setup in this thread:

And yes, I had a Gator Frameworks guitar hanger eat the finish off my Rickenbacker 330-12... be careful.

Last edited:

betocool

Tele-Meister
Gents, thanks so much for your answers. I was thinking about a beam mounted to the wall and the guitars on the beam, and I see some of you have done that. Feels like that's the way to go for me.

I will look into the String Swing and Hercules mounts, thanks!

Cheers,

Alberto

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I never understood the displaying of guitars thing. It allows light, dust, and other unknown unpleasantries, to infiltrate your instruments. I keep them all in cases, even the ones I play every day.

Old school thinking? Absolutely! But I know that they ain’t gonna fall off the wall and break.

Take into consideration earthquakes, or any other unexpected emergency. Example: God forbid, your house catches on fire.
It would be easier to grab cases with the guitar inside, rather than grab them off of the wall and chuck them out the back door.

Just an opinion.

PhoenixBill

Tele-Afflicted
I keep all of mine—all 24 of them—hung on the wall, even acoustics. Why? Because I enjoy looking at them, and it makes it so much easier to actually pick one up and play it. If they were all in the cases, they likely would barely get played; I would tell myself “it’s too much trouble to get it out for a few minutes…”. The amount of dust buildup is minimal and it hasn’t bothered any of my acoustics in the 40+ years I’ve been leaving them out.

If my house caught on fire, grabbing a guitar would be the furthest thing from my mind.

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I keep all of mine—all 24 of them—hung on the wall, even acoustics. Why? Because I enjoy looking at them, and it makes it so much easier to actually pick one up and play it. If they were all in the cases, they likely would barely get played; I would tell myself “it’s too much trouble to get it out for a few minutes…”. The amount of dust buildup is minimal and it hasn’t bothered any of my acoustics in the 40+ years I’ve been leaving them out.

If my house caught on fire, grabbing a guitar would be the furthest thing from my mind.

Okay Hoss, but I think you got my drift. Fire was merely given as an example. You may insert whatever you wish here: ( CALAMITY). I think you got my point!

betocool

Tele-Meister
Unfortunately I don't have enough spaces for cases! They are in the floor stands anyway, in which case I might better do a nice wallpaper.

Cheers,

Alberto

hemingway

Doctor of Teleocity
I've had mine on Hercules for 10 years, no issues with finish.

Also, mine are on plasterboard walls. I think Americans call it drywall? If you use the correct screw system (plasterboard/drywall screws, which go into the correct inserts), they will be fine, even if you don't "hit a stud".

I used this type of screw.

hemingway

Doctor of Teleocity
I never understood the displaying of guitars thing. It allows light, dust, and other unknown unpleasantries, to infiltrate your instruments. I keep them all in cases, even the ones I play every day.

Old school thinking? Absolutely! But I know that they ain’t gonna fall off the wall and break.

Take into consideration earthquakes, or any other unexpected emergency. Example: God forbid, your house catches on fire.
It would be easier to grab cases with the guitar inside, rather than grab them off of the wall and chuck them out the back door.

Just an opinion.

That's fine, if you have the space to keep them somewhere else. I don't. My place is small.

My cases are in the loft (attic to Americans) and the guitars are on the wall because that's where I have space.

Having said that, even if I had space elsewhere I'd put them on the wall. They look cooler than walls.

Weazel

Friend of Leo's

Just an opinion.

Way to put on a serious face, TDPRI John.

rcole_sooner

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Had Hercules mounted on a 2x6 into studs in the previous music room. Worked great. Wanted a little cleaner look in the new place and went String Swing, again into studs and working great.

1675775105304.jpeg

uriah1

Telefied
Silver Supporter
With heavy guitars, these are the only ones I trust. 3 screws vs two. Up to 150 lbs

Attachments

• offwallCapture.JPG
    offwallCapture.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 8