Guitar greats that you just don't get?

Sounds Good

Tele-Afflicted
Totally with you until the Edge. Can't stand any of the virtuosos. Guitar masturbation. Self indulgent musical drivel. And I don't particularly like U2 but I admire Edge's ability to make cool sounds from simple playing and good use of effects. Music is about sounds, not pointless virtuosity.

It's usually the guys who love the virtuosos who hate Edge. So you're a bit incongruous. ;)

You cant really say all fast music is not good, also they play loads slow melodic licks in their songs as well, and mostly just a few fast parts that seem to fit in well.

Take look at all old famous music many had fast parts to spice them up as well, incidently i dont mind Edge.

3-Chord-Genius

Poster Extraordinaire
This is the best thing that Clapton ever did, IMO. And still, I wish he wasn't singing on it, his voice is like listening to a yawn, IMO. And it's kinda hard to watch him standing there looking bored and smug, next to CHUCK F'n BERRY.

But when he cuts loose on guitar (starting around 3:10), it's pretty nice. He shoulda done more of this kind of thing, and WAY less "Forever Man", "It's in the Way that You Use It" and "Wonderful Tonight" o_O

"The wee wee hours".... that's when I wake up at 2:30 AM having to urinate. I hate it, and I'm glad someone wrote a blues song discussing this.

Peregrino69

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah sure but that’s not really the OPs point or question. And also why would you assume everybody wants to make. a living at music?

True there, I was over-reacting to "didn't we have this discussion like half a year ago for third time?" :p I didn't assume that, but can see why it seems that way... point was just "making a life doing what they love". Was "a bit" tired, five days with flu and throat infection, couldn't do nothing but sleep but getting no rest. Hate that :p

The Edge ... isn't a guitar player

The Edge's the first one I've actually ever heard saying that. An interview from when they were on their top game, interviewer asking about how he feels to be the new guitar god or something. Sez him something along the lines "That's weird, I'm not a guitar player in the first place, I play the effects. I just do <plink plonk pop-a plunk> and the effects take care of the rest". That was before multi-effects were a thing, the pedalboard on the floor was abso-ducking-lutely ginormous.

I think that's a fair assessment, and I also think he's one of the best effects users out there. Whether that's musically interesting is a different question altogether. Me being originally a keyboardist find his soundscapes pretty enchanting.

Grandy

Tele-Holic
Fast and slow playing doesn't equal good and bad or vice versa. I think it's really hard to play well fast, to present an idea and not just race through scales and arpeggios. It's also a lot nicer to listen to mediocre slow playing than fast. There's usually more music in there.

The guitar hero thing started with Hendrix and Clapton etc. and it made a comeback in the 80's with the shredders. I can certainly understand Clapton turning away from it all. But I think it has never really gone from jazz, you really got to show some chops to make your mark. Blues on the other hand is simple but very few have the ability make it interesting. In my opinion mediocre blues is boring because it's so hard find meaning in something that's been done over and over so many times. Mediocre jazz is boring because you have to be pretty good to even get to that level and very few have the skill and drive to go beyond that and create something meaningful.

Great guitarists and any other instrumentalists I think are often more defined by there limitations (Monk, Santana, John Lee Hooker) and sometimes (not always) do-it-all session aces may leave you cold. One of my favorite guitarists Steve Morse is a little bit of both. I think he sometimes gets a little carried away with his formidable skills but I like him because he can still bring rock'n'roll in all his jazz-country-prog-art excursions.

Here's the more of the same a while ago: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/acclaimed-guitarists-you-dont-get.770822/
http://www.tdpri.com/threads/acclaimed-guitarists-you-dont-get.770822/
I believe Al Di Meola was mentioned there. I sort of get it, I've enjoyed to a lot similar fusion, but for some reason he leaves me cold.

One more thing, do we mean "getting" the music or the fame and reputation of the guitarist? They are two different things, aren't they.

Chatnoir

Tele-Afflicted
"Especially the whole capitalizing off his son's death deal."

That song was written before his son died. Had nothing to do with it.

It was also not about his son. His son's song was "The Day the Circus Left Town," as that was the last time they were together.

Telemarkman

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
LOL! There are two years since I was last on the TDPRI, but obviously some things never change ... ;-)

deadbeat son

Tele-Afflicted
If you're asking which guitar greats I don't listen to or count on my list of favorites, lots. I assume that's the same for everyone since we all like different things.

If you're asking for me to criticize one or a few, I'll pass.

Pretty much same here. I don't listen to anyone considered a "guitar great." I don't care for that style of music at all; I loathe classic rock and blues. But I have no reason to criticize or condemn what they do; just because I don't like it doesn't mean it's not valid.

FenderGyrl

Poster Extraordinaire
With all of the Clapton talk in this thread, what are the odds that I open up a new pack of Ernie Ball strings and find this staring at me halfway the the packet !!! o_O

EPI LES PAULS 002.jpg
14838990.gif
ROCKERGYRL.jpg
graphics-music-209883.gif

micpoc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Enough people have shared my disinterest in SRV here already, so I will just add Jerry Garcia and Randy Rhodes.

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
I agree with you almost. I never was into EVH growing up but listening back to VH1 today and considering he was about 19 or 20 when they made that record he's one of those guys whose imitators made me dislike him. There is a loose, bluesy thing about EVH's playing that makes him instantly recognizable - even with all the imitators.

I think I own the first LP on vinyl but I'm not really a fan (saw him once with my friends in maybe 1990/91) that being said, I get it.

Ditto Beck. Not the biggest fan but Blow by Blow is a pretty inspiring record.

I gave Clapton credit after bashing him, I did say that only a Sith deals in absolutes so I totally hear where you're coming from. EVH is different than the typical virtuoso but I still don't like his playing all that much :)

Totally with you until the Edge. Can't stand any of the virtuosos. Guitar masturbation. Self indulgent musical drivel. And I don't particularly like U2 but I admire Edge's ability to make cool sounds from simple playing and good use of effects. Music is about sounds, not pointless virtuosity.

It's usually the guys who love the virtuosos who hate Edge. So you're a bit incongruous. ;)

Thanks for the compliment, I'm flattered :D

Music is about sounds but I just don't like any of the ones the Edge makes. Look into Kurt Neumann from the BoDeans, that guys does more playing but still plenty of cool things coming from outside the guitar.

The Edge's the first one I've actually ever heard saying that. An interview from when they were on their top game, interviewer asking about how he feels to be the new guitar god or something. Sez him something along the lines "That's weird, I'm not a guitar player in the first place, I play the effects. I just do <plink plonk pop-a plunk> and the effects take care of the rest". That was before multi-effects were a thing, the pedalboard on the floor was abso-ducking-lutely ginormous.

I think that's a fair assessment, and I also think he's one of the best effects users out there. Whether that's musically interesting is a different question altogether. Me being originally a keyboardist find his soundscapes pretty enchanting.

At least he acknowledges it! Look above at my recommendation to the other sort-of edge fan, I'll also throw Tom Morello out there as a more interesting non-traditional player (meaning they are heavy effects users).

oldgofaster

Tele-Meister
Vernon Reid

actually, only heard him open for the Stones('80s) and it was just horrible noise.

He might be fine now......

Peregrino69

Tele-Afflicted
I'll also throw Tom Morello out there

Oh definintendo! And of course there was the late great Stuart Adamson. Absolute masters of their effect boards.

However Morello's relying on 5 FX, Adamson used four... vs. The Edge's 40-ish out of which I think 7 (or more) are multi-FX - he's an absolute nutjob :D Also their aims are different; Morello's emulating hip hop DJs, Adamson was into bagpipes. The Edge's basically filling in for the 70's -80's keyboardist (think Jon Lord, Keith Emerson or maestro Jarre). Like I said, soundscapes :)

Peregrino69

Tele-Afflicted
There is a loose, bluesy thing about EVH's playing that makes him instantly recognizable

I still love the old VH. But haven't heard Eddie in years - there is or there was?

David Gilmour. I hate Pink Floyd. Barf barf barf.

940c90eaab1addd1cced30ce41dbd156de59abc29e09c7e75bf7436b23bb5eb0.jpg

I get the point but it's hard to imagine someone thinking "Hmm, I'm gonna make music for guitar players".;)

The very definition of extreme free jazz :p

LOL! There are two years since I was last on the TDPRI, but obviously some things never change ... ;-)

When you have a winning formula, changing it will only make people mad :D