Guitar finishing in north NJ / NYC area?

Axelrodi202

TDPRI Member
I'm looking for recommendations for people who do excellent finish work in the north New Jersey / NYC area (I am in Morris County, NJ). Willing to drive up to 2 hours or so. I need a clearcoat over a hand-painted guitar (acrylic paints).

Axelrodi202

TDPRI Member
For such a densely populated area I thought there would be at least some good shops/people. Looks like I may have to ship out the guitar for finishing then.

Axelrodi202

TDPRI Member
Odd, but it is what it is I guess. I'd heard of Majestic Guitars and they were recommended to me on other forums but I have absolutely been unable to get in touch or even a callback after multiple attempts so start to wonder if they're no longer operational

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Axel, a couple of comments. The people that I know who finish guitars want to do everything - all the prep, pore fill, seal, etc - and they want to use products that they know. They would want to know that whatever clear coat they apply would be compatible with your acrylic. I recently had a guitar on my workbench that was refinished (not by me) and when I masked the sides of the neck while installing frets the tape pulled the clear coat off. I know a very fine motorcycle painter who touched it up and everyone is happy, but there is a heck of a liability when you mess around with someone else's paint job.