Votes: 53 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 164 75.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
My guitar wouldn't speak to me for a week after I refinished it. I guess it wasn't happy with the color.

uburoibob

TDPRI Member
I stripped a guitar of it's finish once and I really didn't sound the same afterwards.... that's all I know. It was a junky thing made of plywood though, so maybe the finished was almost holding it all together in some way, like it had become part of the 'structure' of the guitar or something. .. but yeah, it sounded and played terrible afterwards.
If it played terrible too, chances are the problem wasn’t the finish, but the finisher…

chucker

Tele-Meister
everything makes a difference. does a thick finish make an important difference, in most cases, no. does it make enough difference for me when finishing, to not over-mil wood to an encased in plastic state, absolutely.
you would think a forum of musicians would be sensitive to finer points.

COOPSTER

TDPRI Member
I think the sound is effected more by the thickness of the finish than the finish itself... but for me the real issue is how does it feel? There's something about a worn lacquer finish that has thinned and dulled... you can see the wood grain and pores coming through... it feels better than thick and shiny poly imho. But does it sound better? Maybe, to a point, and unplugged, but beyond that probably not. Acoustic tops are another story... thinly lacquered tops resonate better... I know this from personal experience.

Jaysmay

TDPRI Member
I have a '62 Thin Skin in Sonic Blue from Daves on order....

I like the idea that it's the way they were built originally and like the idea it will age different than a poly coated body.

I don't know about the sound...

tanplastic

Friend of Leo's
everything makes a difference. does a thick finish make an important difference, in most cases, no. does it make enough difference for me when finishing, to not over-mil wood to an encased in plastic state, absolutely.
you would think a forum of musicians would be sensitive to finer points.
Musicianship has nothing to do with this time-wasting distraction.

trackerdan

Tele-Meister
These colors work for me at any volume.

Red 2004 Telecaster.jpg
Red 2004 Telecaster.jpg rosewood stratocaster.jpg Red 2004 Telecaster.jpg rosewood stratocaster.jpg Red 2004 Telecaster.jpg rosewood stratocaster.jpg
rosewood stratocaster.jpg
Red 2004 Telecaster.jpg
rosewood stratocaster.jpg
Fender QMT.jpg
Fiesta red Telecaster.jpg
Fender Rose Gold Telecaster.jpeg

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Stain no.....nitro on an acoustic yes.....nitro on a solid body no....I'm not sure it matters if you like the sound of your guitar.

magicfingers99

Friend of Leo's
Well I guess it's another one of these threads and another bunch of sarcastic answers.

When I stripped the finish off my 1990 USA Strat there was an obvious difference, but I'm a guitar --> straight into clean amp player mostly.

The sound was less mid-focused, and more balanced comparatively from bass to treble.

Really, how could it not make a difference when you scrape off a thick, hard, poly finish that is restricting the vibration of the body?

All this talk of it not affecting electric guitars, I respectfully disagree. Even if you use some overdrive, there's going to be a difference.

The point is whether YOU care or notice a difference, otherwise...carry on.
the body doesn't effect the sound, the pickups are what effects the sound. See les paul and the log. or just think about it.
it doesn't matter if the body resonates, it only matters that the strings resonate and supply current to the pickups via magnetic induction.

magicfingers99

Friend of Leo's
Have you removed the neck and re-attached it before?
It makes a difference because the screw tension varies every time.
as long as the screw tension is sufficient to allow the strings to vibrate and stay in tune, the torque don't matter. a guitar is a construct to hold a set of strings at tension in a constant manner so that they will vibrate in an easily reproducable matter, over and over again. this allows the "player" to fret the strings and produce notes and chords. Said note and chords produced on the string by picking or plucking induces a current in a pickup which is a coil of copper wound around iron. The induced current is amplified by an amplifier, the amplifier can and does modify the sound produced by the guitar via the currents amplified.

to think anyone can improve their sound by changing the finish is a fool's errand. if this were possible via some magic, it could be quantified and reproduced and sold as yet another holy grail for superstious players of the world. Stew-Mac magic tone finish DeLuxe by the quart or by the gallon, turn your Chibson into a 1937 Les Paul. please avoid breathing vapours indoors.

tanplastic

Friend of Leo's
as long as the screw tension is sufficient to allow the strings to vibrate and stay in tune, the torque don't matter.
I'm going to have to disagree with this, magicfingers.
Because the threads of the screw move freely through the body, the bond between neck and body can vary from 'just enough to remain structurally solid' to as firmly as the threads and wood allow.
This bond between neck and body does affect the instrument's sound IME.

telecastasaurus

TDPRI Member
Better question:
Marketing and myth affect the tone of a guitar. True or false?

Spend this much time fretting over sharpening up your chops and no one will care about you color, finish, caps, cables, amps, pedals, strings, pots, and on and on and on. It's been my experience if you keep paying/drinking customers bellied up to the bar, the owner will call you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.