• No

Votes: 164 75.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Subject an oenophile to a blindfold test, and when he fails to consistently identify the '58 from the '72, he will say the bottles were improperly stored.

Challenge someone to identify nitro over poly and they will say there were inadequate controls in the experiment. All pointless. Is there a difference? Hard to be sure without knowing the barometric pressure and direction of the jet stream that day.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
yeah echoing others, that i don't think it makes any difference on a solid body amplified guitar. an acoustic, different story...

but that being said, that's an investigation for someone who builds guitars. why would you undertake a big job like a refin with no clear idea what change that will make when you can just buy a guitar that already sounds good?

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
No nuance allowed? No one gets paid to be an "idea man". Nuance is where everything important lies. You won't learn anything with only yes or no questions.

Lighten up bud, these threads have been many, and all beaten to death, for years before your account arrived. You bought a crappy guitar, let it go already!

ScareDe2

Tele-Meister
No nuance allowed? No one gets paid to be an "idea man". Nuance is where everything important lies. You won't learn anything with only yes or no questions.

Lighten up bud, these threads have been many, and all beaten to death, for years before your account arrived. You bought a crappy guitar, let it go already!

It has been beaten up to death now is the time to commit with a simple answer to a simple question.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Trickpaint flames.jpg

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Ye cats ... not another thread @ guitar finishes!!!

It's been pretty well conceded that "finish" or lack thereof has little or no effect on the sound of an electric, and minimal effect on an acoustic for that matter. Here are some things that DO effect the tone of an electric guitar:

• Fresh strings vs. crusty
  • Proper string gage
  • Proper setup and intonation
  • Capacitor (my favorite is .033)
  • Amp settings (you know, twisting those cute little dials?)
  • Volume and tone knobs on the guitar itself (see above)
  • Pedals
  • Speakers and/or cab simulators
  • Pickups
  • Pickup height
  • Plectra - shape and gage
  • Cables - no more cheap ones please

What's next - more tonewood discussions or tube amps vs. SS? Oy!

Gitcha some of these (Amazon - under $10 the pair):

71QnUkpfsKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

clingin_on

Tele-Meister
Well I guess it's another one of these threads and another bunch of sarcastic answers.

When I stripped the finish off my 1990 USA Strat there was an obvious difference, but I'm a guitar --> straight into clean amp player mostly.

The sound was less mid-focused, and more balanced comparatively from bass to treble.

Really, how could it not make a difference when you scrape off a thick, hard, poly finish that is restricting the vibration of the body?

All this talk of it not affecting electric guitars, I respectfully disagree. Even if you use some overdrive, there's going to be a difference.

The point is whether YOU care or notice a difference, otherwise...carry on.

tanplastic

Friend of Leo's
Well I guess it's another one of these threads and another bunch of sarcastic answers.

When I stripped the finish off my 1990 USA Strat there was an obvious difference, but I'm a guitar --> straight into clean amp player mostly.

The sound was less mid-focused, and more balanced comparatively from bass to treble.

Really, how could it not make a difference when you scrape off a thick, hard, poly finish that is restricting the vibration of the body?

All this talk of it not affecting electric guitars, I respectfully disagree. Even if you use some overdrive, there's going to be a difference.

The point is whether YOU care or notice a difference, otherwise...carry on.
Did you remove the neck to scrape the body?

Status
Not open for further replies.