Votes: 53 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 164 75.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

december

TDPRI Member
its not the shape of the hollow body that makes it sound different, it is the lack of wood, it is hollowed out, hence hollowbody.
Hence, that makes it a different shape. It's internal but it's still a shape. And there are holes in them, in the shape of an "f", called f-holes. Larger, hollow, f-holes: these are all attributes of the shape.

december

TDPRI Member
does the paint color effect the strings before or after the body shape, I'm trying to figure out the magic chain.
This has turned into someone insisting that the body (wood type, shape, hardware, etc.) has no influence on the tone, that the only things responsible for producing tone are strings and pickups. And insisting that resonance plays absolutely no part, either.
Then why do different guitars sound different, even if they have the same strings and pickups?
Resonance is the way the body reacts to the strings sending vibrations into it, which in turn influences how the strings vibrate.
Different types of wood, variations in density, size, weight, shape, hollow/solid, shape/size of f-holes, material & shape of bridge/nut, the way the neck is attached to the body, all influence how the strings vibrate, vibrations that get picked up by the magnets, converted into electrical signal, sent to an amp and made into sound, which sounds unique to the guitar's specs.

As for color influencing sound: me (and Billy Corgan, apparently) feel a definite difference in sound due to the color. This is taking place on a more Etheric level, though. It's more: what kind of sounds and emotions you can express through the guitar than an obvious difference in the way a single note sounds in different colors.
Having a guitar in one color, say red, would limit me to only being able to play stuff in resonance with the frequency of red, or the root chakra, purely primal energies and emotions.
If I could afford to have 9 guitars, I would have a black, a white, a red, an orange, a yellow, a green, a blue, an indigo, and a violet. But unless I can have all the colors, I can't just have 1 or 2 colors. So I can only use black guitars, because black is the absence of color. It absorbs the full spectrum of light/color, therefore it's a blank canvas with a full pallatte. My music is a light in the dark, or, shining Light on the Darkness. In order for my music to sound like that, and to be capable of a full range of expression, a black guitar is required.
I have a black guitar and 2 black basses (4 and 5 string).
I'm not trying to convince anyone that they should be able to hear a difference between colors of guitars. Most people will be unaware of this effect. But there are people that are more in tune with the Etheric realm (ether=the substance of sound. An actual element [earth, water, fire, air, ether, light, spirit] that was "disproven" long ago by the Greeks. Just as light is substance: waves/particles of energy, so is sound, and ether is the substance of sound. There is a layer where light and sound overlap and the frequiencies interact with each other. Therefore, light and color influence sound, on a level that can more be felt than heard.)
I'm not saying anyone has to believe me, but the ones that tried to tell me that I'm "wrong" simply can't make that claim. It is very real, whether or not you experience it personally. It does exist. And I'm not alone in saying this. But again, you don't have to believe me, either. I was pretty surprised when discussing this invoked aggressive, insulting responses. People typically react that way when a strongly held belief is threatened and they are afraid of change. I honestly thought a forum of musicians would be more creative and open to this.

tanplastic

Friend of Leo's
I don't personally use the ignore button, for what it's worth. I'd still rather hear a cross-section of opinions.
Yeah, I'm baffled by the "ignore" feature.
If someone chooses to ignore me, that's their loss, not mine.
I guess some folks just want only consensual opinions as they age. It's interesting.
I don't have anyone blocked, not that I read every single post.

Arfage

Tele-Meister
can you expound on that a bit, is "oh Please" a request for more information, or is that a compliment on how happy (pleased) your were, or what exactly does that mean?

written communication makes it difficult to parse nuances.
So sue me, I'm not a morning person. What I should have said was that, obviously, acoustic and electric guitars are not the same but coating a piece of wood with anything has no choice but to affect the sound it will make. Also, the tone of a solid body is just as dependent on the wood as an acoustic and that's going to be just as important to it's sound plugged in. I've accidentally altered the sound of Strats and Partscasters in trying to improve their playability and stability in so many ways. just about everything you do effects it. You coat a Stratocaster in plastic, the idea it's not going to affect the tone is just nonsense.

magicfingers99

Friend of Leo's
So sue me, I'm not a morning person. What I should have said was that, obviously, acoustic and electric guitars are not the same but coating a piece of wood with anything has no choice but to affect the sound it will make. Also, the tone of a solid body is just as dependent on the wood as an acoustic and that's going to be just as important to it's sound plugged in. I've accidentally altered the sound of Strats and Partscasters in trying to improve their playability and stability in so many ways. just about everything you do effects it. You coat a Stratocaster in plastic, the idea it's not going to affect the tone is just nonsense.

my mom told me good manners are priceless, but cost nothing....

just because something seems intutive, doesn't mean its true.

its common sense a feather will fall slower than a lead ball based on their weight. yet experimentation proves they fall at the same speed in a vacuum.

perhaps you won't beleive me, but Les Paul can give you some ideas

and if you want something more in depth

Arfage

Tele-Meister
Actually I know it from experience but generally with people on these threads you have to go straight to the logic. Experience means nothing here if it isn't theirs.

DjimiWrey

Tele-Holic
What has been interesting is that throughout the life of this thread the results have pretty consistently been 1/3 or voters saying "Yes" and 2/3 saying "No".

thanks for mentioning the significant ratio; there's a very similar statistic regarding the mental health of the population :)

DjimiWrey

Tele-Holic
Actually I know it from experience but generally with people on these threads you have to go straight to the logic. Experience means nothing here if it isn't theirs.

and like so many "debates", it matters not; we just like to opine.

btw, maple fret board syrup tastes great AND it's less filling

Status
Not open for further replies.