Votes: 53 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 164 75.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I stripped a guitar of it's finish once and I really didn't sound the same afterwards.... that's all I know. It was a junky thing made of plywood though, so maybe the finished was almost holding it all together in some way, like it had become part of the 'structure' of the guitar or something. .. but yeah, it sounded and played terrible afterwards.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
I think the choices are overly simplistic. Does it have any effect at all? Yes, or at least I figure it does. Is the effect to a degree that matters or that one can even notice? My vote would be "No" for at least a vast majority of cases, and even when there is some audible effect one way or the other it's not enough of a difference to move the guitar from acceptable to unacceptable or from good to bad, or vice versa.

Also, very few if any of us have/have taken the time, effort, money etc. to do a proper, repeatable study with a decent sample size. All most of us has is "I did this one time and did/didn't like the result". And most of those times we change multiple things at once (often including strings) such that you can't reasonably put any difference down to one specific factor.

ScareDe2

Tele-Meister
I think the choices are overly simplistic. Does it have any effect at all? Yes, or at least I figure it does. Is the effect to a degree that matters or that one can even notice? My vote would be "No" for at least a vast majority of cases, and even when there is some audible effect one way or the other it's not enough of a difference to move the guitar from acceptable to unacceptable or from good to bad, or vice versa.

Also, very few if any of us have/have taken the time, effort, money etc. to do a proper, repeatable study with a decent sample size. All most of us has is "I did this one time and did/didn't like the result". And most of those times we change multiple things at once (often including strings) such that you can't reasonably put any difference down to one specific factor.

If you think guitar finish impacts sound in the audible range you have to vote yes.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
This is a Telecaster forum so I voted no.

If we were on an acoustic guitar forum or a violin forum I'd vote yes.
How about those big sheets of plastic glued to the tops of acoustic guitars?
Do those affect sound?
Those fancy expensive Gibson acoustics must sound pretty bad then!

Status
Not open for further replies.