Guitar Fetish, anyone?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ragin Cajun, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

has anyone used Guitar fetish pars such as bridges or tuners? I'm going to redo one of my guitars,. and ran across them on the internet. Their prices are crazy compared to Allparts and Warmoth. I'm just worried if their quality is in any way comparable. How about Pickups? Any good?

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

2. Bjackcity

Bjackcity TDPRI Member

I’ve got an mean 90 and a vintage split bucker from gfs, they are suprisingly decent for the price. Some people seem to love em, I personally use them in my I don’t care what happens to it Stratocaster.

The Kwikplug idea is neat makes for a fast swap out.

3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Plenty of threads here. Some good & some bad.

I purchase things from them that have little risk, but you can find the same stuff all over the internet. GFS is just a middle man in most cases.

I did buy 2 husks from them, a Vintage SG & recently the unfinished set neck tele. The angles on the necks appear to be good. We'll see.

4. memiller

memiller Tele-Meister

I've bought various parts from them over the years. As long as you avoid the super-cheap level stuff (basically their "OEM" line) it's all worth what you're paying. The tuners are surprisingly solid to the point I'd definitely go with them over lower priced Gotoh or Grover options. The bridges I've bought have been perfectly fine. Pickup-wise the only thing I've bought from them was a RedActive P/J set for my bass. Directly comparing it to another bass I had with EMG's... there was no comparison. The EMG's sounded better in a similar quality bass. That said, they didn't sound three times better so if I was upgrading I'd go with the GFS.

Incidentally, I've managed to have my hands on a couple of their Xaviere electrics. The 335 style is quite nice, and I still wonder why I've never bought one.

5. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Pickups, bridges, tuners ... all of my experiences have been positive [and all of my expectations have been reasonable].

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I've bought a few pickups and parts from them over the past 15 years or so. But, recently, I've been ordering from other places with the same stuff but cheaper, mainly direct from China but also from some US based sellers that are beating them on price and service.

7. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

Thanks,, Guys

8. cottonmike

cottonmike Tele-Meister

I have put the Slick line brass wrap around, along with sets of the brass tuning machines on 2 project guitars, and I am very pleased with them. The guitars ring out incredible unplugged, and sound fabulous under power.

Highly recommend.

9. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I owned a Guitar Fetish semi-hollow body guitar that I only sold because I needed the money.

And my mate had always coveted that guitar.
    So we both came out ahead.

I really loved that guitar though.

The telecaster that my other friend is putting together for me right now though?
    She's got a lot of Guitar Fetish parts and bits.

i can't wait.

:)

10. OtherTom

OtherTom Tele-Afflicted

I've been satisfied with their tele bodies, bridges, tuners, pickups, but not their necks. One had crooked tuner holes drilled, the other twisted after a couple days with string tension. I've since stuck to Warmoth necks, but still buy other GF stuff.

11. Bella_Caster

Bella_Caster Tele-Meister

I've bought two bridges from them, a vintage intonated wraparound and a floating roller bridge, and was happy with both.

12. Dunkerhook

Dunkerhook Tele-Meister

I like his cases, although his shipping charges are high for them. I also like his pickguard blanks.

I have put his pickups in several guitars. I think they are Altecs with tweaks and maybe with tighter QC. So some of the direct-from-China pickup on eBay are likely the same stuff or almost the same. All the pickups are great values. I like the Mean 90s and Dream 180s, especially. I am building a 12-string Ovation Breadwinner copy now and will put GFS mini filtertrons in it.

But I found Planet Tone and Rose pickups, which are reasonably priced boutique guys. My latest purchases have been from them and not GFS. There are other options that are good values.

Also, I have been disappointed in every cheap pot or blade switch or bridge -- GFS and elsewhere. So I am dedicated to CTS, Oak Grigsby, Hipshot, and Sperzel. I won't cut corners on that stuff.

John Nicholas likes this.
  13. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Have purchased pick-ups a couple of times, a pickguard for a P-bass (only two of the screw holes lined up, so I had to do a little drilling, and one of their GFS effects pedals, a vintage echo. No complaints.

14. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

I bought an LP body w/their vintage 59 humbuckers. Very pleased. The bridge and tailpiece was their higher quality model and terrific.

Only issue was that the matching color mounting studs were out of stock. They will not tell you an eta on anything. So I bought a different finish. Not really noticeable.

Q

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

15. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I'm more satisfied with the two Alpha pots I've bought from GFS than any of the many CTS pots I've bought from other dealers. Their tolerance is acceptable, they have a more solid, smooth, well-built feel, and I think their audio taper (20%, maybe?) is just about perfect.

Their bushings are narrow (8mm, I think) and slightly too tall for a Tele control plate, and they only accept metric push-on knobs... but those issues are easy to deal with.

16. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Do you know if those pots would work as a drop in replacement for Epiphone? I have an 90s MIK Goldtop that needs new pots, but I don't want to have to get all new knobs.

I learned the hard way that Epiphone knobs don't fit in CTS pots.

17. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

I bought a few things from them and have been happy. I'd probably buy more stuff if their shipping costs were more reasonable. Their Vintage Les Paul pickguard with the bevel on the edge was great for my vintage lawsuit LP.

The Mim upgrade steel bridge and big steel block were a significant upgrade and the whole guitar resonates like a mother.

I recently got a used BMG Pickguard with Brighton Rock single coil pickups and it turned out to be better than I expected. Mostly bought it because I was too lazy to try the wiring myself and $50 including PU's was a steal.

I'd have no qualms about buying from them. If they had lower shipping prices, something like flat rate priority mail boxes instead of $15 it costs for most of my small parts orders. I'd buy a lot of smaller orders more frequently.

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Even my go to luthier liked a GFS Wilkinson type bridge. I like their guitar bodies but not their pickups. Some good stuff , some poor quality.

19. Dunkerhook

Dunkerhook Tele-Meister

I've thought about trying those Brighton Rocks, too. Do you really like the pickups or just the ease of the Kwik-plugs?

20. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Reply to @JayFreddy (Sorry, I failed to quote your question properly):

That'll depend on the thickness of the wood. The threaded part of the bushing on mine is 9mm tall. That's a bit much for a Tele control plate, which I think works best with a 6.35mm bushing (so I added washers to the pots), but it may be too short to work in a Les Paul.

GFS may offer Alpha pots with longer bushings, but I don't own any Gibson-style guitars, so I've never paid attention.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.