Guitar Feels Naked Without A Strap

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
When I got my new Tele 6 weeks ago, I initially did not have a strap for it. Every time I picked it up to play, the guitar felt, I don't know, "naked".

I will pick up a guitar during the day, and either put a foot on a chair to perch the guitar on to play for a few minutes, or sit in my guitar chair with the guitar on my leg for a few minutes of play time. I don't put the strap on unless I am going to play for "a while", which is waaaaaay too infrequently.

So, why does a guitar with the strap hanging in my lap feel dressed, and a guitar without a strap feel "naked"?

I did buy a strap for my new guitar, so it no longer feels odd. I find it interesting how something so small - and that I was not even using - had such a big impact.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I am an idiot. I get that... :D

Gimble

Tele-Meister
I always use a strap even if sitting on the couch.

Having three dogs there’s no telling when I’ll have to jump up for something…

With the strap on I figure less chance of a dropped guitar.

I use it so much I can’t sit to play without it, I do feel naked without it.

So it’s not just you!

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter

No strap? No problem.

D7500A18-780C-49B0-A9CB-B378A116E2B5.jpeg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I hear you. I actually do get straps for each of mine...accessorizing is part of the buyer/owner experience.

Last edited:

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm thinking if there is enough interest in these guitar robes, I may start making them. I'd show you what my shell pink strat is wearing, but this is a family forum;).

Oh my! I can see some pickup in the gap of that robe! Wow-Wee! Nice!

And I am going to quit before I get banned...

:lol::lol::lol:

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
I find it interesting how something so small - and that I was not even using - had such a big impact

That's what she said! :lol:

But seriously... I get it. A guitar needs a strap even if you're gonna just sit with it. I enjoy buying a strap for a new guitar almost as much as
I enjoy buying new guitars. Sometimes a strap just screams to me that it wants to be the one for that guitar.
Sometimes no strap volunteers. Case in point... my Les Paul Traditional HCS is still without strap.
None seem right.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Love the Hendrix (approved?) line of straps from Dunlop:

917UZM8il7L._AC_UL320_.jpg

91Z3dA25ZxL._AC_UL320_.jpg

91uARib2n6L._AC_UL320_.jpg

They are somewhat more substantial than most fabric straps and the ends are real leather.

I also use straplocks - old habit from years of playing one guitar in a LOT of back-to-back worship services. No room for any accidental dives.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Love the Hendrix (approved?) line of straps from Dunlop:

917UZM8il7L._AC_UL320_.jpg

91Z3dA25ZxL._AC_UL320_.jpg

91uARib2n6L._AC_UL320_.jpg

They are somewhat more substantial than most fabric straps and the ends are real leather.

I also use straplocks - old habit from years of playing one guitar in a LOT of back-to-back worship services. No room for any accidental dives.

My wife thinks I need a fancier strap, but I just like the one I chose (and bought from a TDPRI member too!):

20211027_145538-jpg.913802

Tele-friend

Tele-Holic
I mostly play while sitting and feel no need to have a strap on a guitar.
I like the guitar being naked...

Yeah, I am just gonna walk myself out of this thread... :)

Dostradamas

Tele-Holic
With a 20 year old artificial left shoulder joint I only strap up if I am going to stand, which is rare these days.

Still gotta have strap locks, one strap popping loose and dropping the guitar to the floor 20+ years has made me unable to trust a button hole on a peg.

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
I always use a strap, sitting or standing. There is no guitar that sits right on either thigh, therefore the strap. And the length of the strap is always the same in both positions.