Guitar crystal ball

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
As the traditionalists die off, I still see that as a real possibility.

Just look at amplifiers, traditionalists want tubes, but that market control is becoming less and less with each passing year. If the big name builders can produce guitars for half the cost using something other than wood that would be lighter without losing playability...I see them doing it.

Just look at Leo for a minute, he was producing some of the most popular tube amps yet started to embrace the solid state amps as that market was opening up. Tube reverb has been largely replaced with pedals today and the non-tube amps have reached a good portion of the market with the tonemasters being the next big leap.

It just feels like the instruments are next with the richlite boards opening the door.
I’m for sure not the devil’s advocate… however, I think I could enjoy playing if all I had was a solid state amp and a fiberglass guitar. May not have as much respect for ‘the gear’, but I bet it could be fun?
Don’t lose hope… imagine all the wooden MIM’s and Squiers hanging on walls :)

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
Ok, dang, here I am again, not caring.🙄

However, it also occurred to me that there is quite a bit of nano-sized plastic particles showing up in our bloodstreams. At the point that these particles combine with other artery clogging lifestyle choices and the cardiac arrest rate spikes, the insurance lobbyists are going to want to legislate use of plastics.

Makes wood look ok; bamboo, too. Etc.
Now bamboo, that’s scary. Imagine getting one of those splinters under your fingernail… that would be torture!

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Now bamboo, that’s scary. Imagine getting one of those splinters under your fingernail… that would be torture!
I just remembered how revered bamboo fly rods used to be. Then fiberglass came along, but the purists (with adequate funding) stayed with bamboo. Carbon fiber rods have been around for over 40 years and are pretty much the standard now. When was the last time you saw a golf club with a wooden shaft? Spruce snow skis? Water skis? I guess my point is that if the performance improvement justifies the material change, it will happen. I think it's far more likely to occur with acoustic guitars than with electric.

boop

Tele-Holic
Personally, that would be the end of the hobby for me
What exactly is the hobby? Guitars are musical instruments. They are a means to an end. What they are made of seems circumstantial to what works and what can be affordably mass produced. Does ebony work better than ritchlite? I have some richlite fingerboard blanks that are waiting to go onto necks. Seems like a good material if you want a black (or blue or red!) fingerboard. Doesn’t seem “plasticky” to me.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
What exactly is the hobby? Guitars are musical instruments. They are a means to an end. What they are made of seems circumstantial to what works and what can be affordably mass produced. Does ebony work better than ritchlite? I have some richlite fingerboard blanks that are waiting to go onto necks. Seems like a good material if you want a black (or blue or red!) fingerboard. Doesn’t seem “plasticky” to me.
Valid points, but then a fake Rolex can tell time as well. I don't want one.

For me, the hobby isn't just about making music. It is also about the tools used. As was pointed out, you don't see golfers using wood shaft clubs these days because newer materials improved their play. I guess if newer materials improved my guitar playing, I would be on-board with progress, but I don't see that being the case.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
Personally, that would be the end of the hobby for me as I would not follow that path, but I can honestly see the younger generations willingly choosing that direction.

What do you think? Is that day coming in the next 10-20 years, because I think it very well might be.
Late to the thread, but are you saying if I buy/play a guitar that doesn’t meet your spec’s you’ll stop playing the guitars you own and love?

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
With the current trends of thick poly coatings and desire for lighter guitars, how many years until all electric guitars are built from plastics or fiberglass?

Seriously, with the pressures towards protecting wood species, the costs of building, etc., could you see a builder start to get rid of using wood altogether? We already have richlite finger boards and who would even know what was beneath some of those thick factory coatings used today, so why not just go with a new material?

Let's face it, the species of wood used in an electric guitar really has very little effect on the sound of the guitar. It is 99% magnetic so as long as the electronics sound good, you would be good to go. We have all seen people building guitars out of plexiglass or even a cement block and they still sounded good with quality pick ups and amplifier, so why not plastics or fiberglass?

Personally, that would be the end of the hobby for me as I would not follow that path, but I can honestly see the younger generations willingly choosing that direction.

What do you think? Is that day coming in the next 10-20 years, because I think it very well might be.
Wood in guitars will be gone when everyone’s driving electric cars.