1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitar Center watch

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Middleman, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

I went in GC this week, same thing. Rows of guitars missing. Kind of sad actually. But as others have said it is a combination of supply chain issues and demand. All industries are affected, not just GC.

Ironwolf likes this.
  2. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Online has just taken over.

In every aspect of life. People are buying cars oline more then ever. I couldn't ever imagine such a purchase without seeing exactly what I'm buying.

Its terrible whats going on IMO.

Can't say anymore here .

3. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Same thing in New Orleans. Less than half the stock on new guitars and they are spaced out on the walls. Used guitar section looked about 1/3 the norm. Picked up some strings, and that stock looked healthy. Of course the high end guitar room is fully stocked. Makes you wonder who buys a $3000 guitar from Guitar Center. But I am cheap, so my impression might not matter.

4. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

this DID happen with bicycles. Local shop was picked clean for months: increased demand and breakdowns in supply chain.

Blues Twanger likes this.
  5. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just because their plan was approved does not mean its back to business as usual, whatever that means. It takes 6-8 weeks in good times to get a container from Asia and right now supply chain is a mess. I would bet they had pretty decent sales during the pandemic and there is probably shuffling of inventory to their better locations. Soon you will see some store closings and/or possibly some new format smaller locations. In about a month or so the shelves will be lined with Mitchell guitars and their other direct import lines. Some manufacturers may choose to no longer participate. It will more than likely be a long road back.

6. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

I have one. They give you one after 5 years employment, god help me. Oh! Nevermind.

7. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

Guitar center killed the local shop with massive selections of mass produced gear at prices the small shops couldn’t compete with.
    That dog eat dog philosophy has led to the internet sites now doing the same thing to guitar center. I would be happy about that as I’ve never had love for GC but when guitar center eventually closes where are we going to go to try our gear before we go find a better place to buy it online?

rockymtnguitar likes this.
  8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

The auto industry has chip shortages on top of other challenges related to the pandemic and trade. I manage infrastructure in a food business where the food and the technology we need is full of back orders.

Guitar Center has its own issues with financial challenges and product shortages.

All of our intelligence and forecasting in food and technology is these challenges will persist for a while. We are certain it's true as a large employer of essential workers. It doesn't take many absences from work to create some big challenges. There's huge demand for our delivery business.

Your business is interesting right now. I bought a car 1/2 a year ago and just helped my mother with car shopping. The dealer where we got cars has contacted us offering to buy them. There's a lack of appealing product to want to take them up on it.

Closer to topic, I'm really happy to be years GAS-free. I can get strings and picks. My suggestion for the overall topic is everyone should shop for their one each acoustic and electric GAS-killer. That will be self-help but likely not save Guitar Center.

:)

SRHmusic and Dan German like this.
  9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

As for my local GC, it seems like for some time, well before any recent announcements or the lockdown craziness, they haven't had as much stock, especially when it comes to amps. There's like a 4 to 1 ratio of guitars to amps.

That said, I can't really speak to anything recent. I only tried once during the lockdowns to go there, and the doors were locked. I don't know how many people they were allowing into the store at one time, but if you weren't lucky enough to arrive at the right time and catch them just right, you had to stand around outside waiting for your turn.

I didn't wait. I left, and haven't been back since. Thankfully, there's a locally owned mom & pop store (Clawson's Music), that had a more open policy. Anyway, even before 2020 I've gone to Clawson's way more than GC for years.

10. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

My favorite way to buy gear is to play it at GC and find it used on Reverb.

Peegoo likes this.
  11. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

the idea of a music store carrying inventory is feeling antique

they need a new idea

12. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

It's an established fact that guitar sales have boomed this year; combine that with supply chain problems from overseas and that's the Occam's Razor answer here.

Then again, that's not to say GC won't still have to deal with their same old problems in the near future.

13. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

My local GC looks like a ghost town. Very little gear to be had.

Below is a pic from the Sherman Oaks Guitar Center last Saturday. Lots of gear on display. I don’t think it’s a supply chain issue.

[​IMG]

14. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The irony is that they bought and absorbed Musician's Friend, which was all-catalog and (later) all-internet for the longest time.

(They had only one (1) brick and mortar store. A dumpy old metal building on Crater Lake Highway in Medford, OR).

15. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Now we know where all the inventory went!

DADGAD likes this.
  16. kmaster

kmaster Tele-Meister

Yeah, it feels pretty post-apocalyptic in my local GC

17. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Well, in all honesty I reduced their inventory by one guitar. That orange Gretsch G5422T on the encounter.

[​IMG]

Dog Bite likes this.
  18. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Every year GC is vacant of product January/February.

The largest slug of gear sales happen November-December.
    NAMM orders are put to the factories in late January.
    Factories gear up to produce X number of guitars per week, plus shipping time, based on the January orders.

This year the stores are slightly more emptied due to more people deciding to learn guitar since they are stuck home.
    Most production-retail systems get out of whack if there is as little as 5%-10% change in demand up/down or supply up/down.

They will have more product soon.

19. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Anyone know if GC will have a President’s Day sale on February 16?

20. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

Thanks that makes sense, can’t fight the future so they are preparing for it. Also Crater Lake is awesome!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.