Guitar Center Visit to Try A Telecaster Goes Wrong!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jpjr50, Aug 26, 2019.

1. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

At least the wanker didn't force his wife/girlfriend/significant other to stand next to him and try to look interested. It's even worse when they do.

Jackroadkill likes this.
  2. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted

I've only read the first thread, but have something incredibly similar from the acoustic world...

June '18 at a well known music camp, some displays from vendors and manufacturers set up in one building's lobby. Much to my dismay, a Huss & Dalton I have been pining for (but never even seen) is sitting on one vendor's table. And much to my great astonishment, SWMBO gives the OK :D!!

So next day I go to try her out. At the table for a manufacturer with a name similar to the Northwestern luthier who recently passed away, sits the minder, wailing away playing every bluegrass run known to man. Annoying, but wth...anyway, the nice young lady lets me pick up the jewel I am there to look at, but "minder" not only keeps playing but gets LOUDER (those Adirondack-tops have a lot of head room). In the lobby where we are, one cannot even think its so loud. Not many people looking at guitars but me, he cannot not know I am there...finally have to go to the farthermost reaches of the space to even hear to tune. Even then its difficult, mostly what I was concerned with (neck profile) I was able to sus out and told young lady I would be back for the guitar later. All this while, the juicer has kept playing, playing like he is going to attract someone to his table.

Got my H & D TD-R, late in the afternoon when it was dead quiet, had a couple people play it back at me so I could hear how she sounded and of course I was smitten. But ya know, there is one brand, no matter how much they yuck it up, that I will never consider...;)

3. skyblue

skyblue TDPRI Member

I would have cranked the amp I was plugged in to and played that out of tune Telecaster until the crows flew home.

preactor likes this.
  4. cap47

cap47 Tele-Holic

I have "Guitar Tuna" App on my phone that works great and I would probably set up some high pitched feedback and b last until someone got the message.

5. Telefan65

Telefan65 TDPRI Member

Yep! A little Twin reverb right between the ear holes oughta do it! :twisted::lol:

6. Telefan65

Telefan65 TDPRI Member

That is unfortunate.:(

7. Quacky

Quacky Tele-Meister

That used to happen every Friday about an hour or two before closing at my local GC so I started wearing ear plugs and plugging into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and blasting the kids back but it really didn't do anything to stop them, management has to draw the line because the employee's are most times the same age as the offenders and won't say a word to them.

8. zestystrat

zestystrat TDPRI Member

OP:

I had the same situation here at my local GC (Alpharetta Ga)...except it was two employees rolling Ozzy, VH etc...loud as b@ll$.

I casually mentioned something to one of the guys not playing and turns out he was a mgr. "Is that bothering you" Well I can't really hear any of the guitars I was trying out. "Those are my guys so I can tell them to stop if you want."

At that point, why bother?

9. RevCD

RevCD TDPRI Member

After playing guitar for 50+ years and having worked on hundreds of guitars, I no longer bother with stores as they seem full if annoying amateurs and tedious Type A personalities. Hahaha.

10. psykobilly

psykobilly Tele-Meister

So, like that describes every time I have ever stepped inside a Guitar Center. Except when I go to the acoustic room to escape, there’s dude trying to impress his girl (or himself) with Clapton’s unplugged album. I am surprised your surprised frankly.

11. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

First: I've encountered the "jerk" before and went to the manager about it. Things eventually got worked out.
    Second: After I retired a couple years ago, I went to the GC manager and asked if he would hire me just to keep all of the guitars properly set up and in tune. He looked at me like I was crazy and told me that nobody comes in the store expecting to find a guitar either set up or in tune.
    So, you can't say I didn't try.

12. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

Is that you Steve Vai?

13. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

I think steve vai puts a lot of people in a bad mood. you know i love the guitar, i love being a guitarist, but i hate other guitarists!

14. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Last year I needed to visit the GC in Times Square on a Saturday afternoon. The place is massive, and mobbed. The noise was insane. There were probably a dozen of your "scrubs guys" wailing away randomly. If I worked there I would have gone completely bonkers loony within a week. Never again.

15. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

I love it when Americans say "wanker" - it's far too good a word for us Brits to keep it for ourselves. Good on you, man.

regularslinky and radiocaster like this.
  16. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

He wasn't a doctor. He's in a Prince and the Revolution cover band

[​IMG]

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen it used on guitar forums before, often without knowledge of the (similar in a way) non-guitar meaning. Or maybe it's understood, but never used outside of the guitar context.

Jackroadkill likes this.
  18. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

We’ve got a local guy who buts in on every demo / sale that’s going on when he’s in. It infuriates the staff and they do try to distract him but it’s not easy. It has to be said that he is, not sure of the politically correct term and in no way do I want to cause offence so I’ll settle on ‘slow’. He is harmless and pleasant enough and does spend there. Still annoying though. Also continuously tells anyone who’ll listen, (or not), about his guitar collection and his up coming trip to Nashville to live with an agent whom he met on the web and is going to make him famous. All so sad really, no one believes she exists.

19. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

He does, which is why he’s tolerated, like I said, being gentle, he’s ‘slow’

Sorry 8barlouie, went away, came back and thought you were referring to my post.

8barlouie likes this.
  20. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The store doesn't need a sign. They can just ask/tell customers to turn down.

But the setup really sounds like OP walked into an empty store. A store isn't going to care if some dude is riffing away, loudly, in an empty store. Especially if it's someone who buys.

Instead of passive-aggressively HOPING he'll turn down when he sees dad drag his family into GC to try out gear, or HOPING the store will realize it was too loud for the unsuspecting family, why not just ask an employee? "Hey man, I can't hear myself think here, would you mind asking him to turn down or setting me up in a quiet spot?"

Everyone does not experience the world exactly the way we do or share our exact perspective on a situation. But I think people have gotten to the point where we take a weird joy in being "aggrieved" and would rather occupy that state, and complain about it later, than communicate to avoid it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.