Guitar Center Visit to Try A Telecaster Goes Wrong!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jpjr50, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

it's a situation whereby if people were a little more considerate, life would be easier. Than again, there's always one or two in every crowd who needs to be louder than everyone else, if not they're somehow perceiving it as being shortchanged on oneupsmanship.

preactor likes this.
  2. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

the staff in the smaller GC in the local area, does a very good job in controlling the out of control noise makers, very quickly I might add. In Raleigh, that is a much larger store which I normally visit on Saturday - it's pretty much always a zoo. There's always going to be that one person (normally a guy or a kid that has just learned a new riff...I've actually gotten over letting it get to me.

I usually buy via Musicians Friend and try at home, if there's an issue I just call them and they send me a return label while I'm on the phone.

3. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

I can't understand rude people who play music. Makes no sense to me. Be careful, it's a jungle out there.

4. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Maybe you guys are right, I should have solo'd over what he was playing instead of being annoyed.

5. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

It's on the shop imo, they should have said something and turned his amp down, out of courtesy, but hey theres a-holes everywhere, right?

6. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Thats Tescos for you lol.

Clifton C likes this.
  7. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

Thanks... it felt kinda lyrical when it oozed from my fingertips. I'm no song writer so anyone is welcome to it.

pixeljammer likes this.
  8. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    I guess it's only a problem if someone reports it. Like most things.
    My local Walmart usually has SRV playing at night on the weekends. Now that I enjoy. Last time I was there they were playing his first LP Texas Flood. In it's entirety. I wasn't in a hurry to leave.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup.

Go in a half hour after they open, on a Tuesday if possible.

Weekends, or nights suck for buying amps or guitars.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think it can indicate. Maybe it depends on the observer.

But yeah, the only time I really turn up in a store is when I am buying the amp, not the guitar.

11. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

If that was a Bassbreaker 45 on 6 that's stadium volume

12. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

A former band member & I were in a local music store checking out some guitars.

There was a country player messing around with a guitar, also too loud, playing a basic country pattern.

My buddy cranked-up an amp and started playing the "Looney Tunes" theme song that fit with the country guys riffs.

Several people caught on to what was going on and started laughing. The country guy didn't have a clue!

13. GuitarnGrits

GuitarnGrits NEW MEMBER!

I had a LOT of Mexican food one day and the overlords of music store justice had mercy on me. Let’s just say I “gassed” a very bad and very loud “guitar-miss” out of a store I worked at. He never came back and I didn’t even have to make a sound...SBD

Euphonica and preactor like this.
  14. goodguy

goodguy TDPRI Member

All I read in this story is:

“I am just a good ol’ Dad hoping to try out a guitar and this bad guy assaulted my family’s eardrums”.

“Rich Doctor’s are bad guys who act privileged while us good ol’ guys just are trying to do the right thing.”

“I’m such a regular at this Guitar Center, they should have forced this interloper to respect us regulars...” (yet, I don’t know they have separate rooms I could have gone to).

Next time instead of crying online because you were “offended” - either complain, stop shopping there (or turn up louder and have a shred off). It’s Guitar Center, what did you expect?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    notmyusualuserid and MilwMark like this.
  15. Wharfcreek

Wharfcreek TDPRI Member

I too am an 'old guy'.....and have been going in to guitar shops practically since guitars became electric! During this time, I grew up, had a good career, played in a few bands around the country, bought and sold hundreds of guitars and amps, and have visited countless guitar stores, including MANY of Guitar Center's locations. It has always baffled me why they do NOT have a posted policy about this that is clearly visible to anyone who might commit such an infringement. The lack of this in my mind clearly puts this on GC's management. NO ONE needs more than a few minutes to 'hear' a guitar, particularly at loud volumes. It may take longer to 'feel' a guitar out.....but that can be done in complete silence. So, why doesn't GC have a policy that pretty clearly states that low-volume play is fine, and that customers need to be considerate of other customers also attempting to hear/play an instrument? Maybe because they don't want to see posts on the internet where they get accused of having some restrictive policies that limit customers ability to try a product? Maybe they get pressure from manufacturers? Maybe they're just that dumb? I don't know. But I DO know that unless GC expects to survive on the spending budget ability of the younger generation (which from what I see these days isn't too much), then they'd better wake up. Most 'mature' people DO want some 'quality' time when in a guitar shop. Why? Well, they're the one's with the $2 or $3 K in their pocket and actually WILL buy that over-priced guitar or amp. So, simply put, this is a Guitar Center Management problem.....and eventually (if not already) it will cost them dearly! Hopefully they're wake up soon. If not, their market dominance may come to a slow and costly demise!! WC

Bill Ashton likes this.
  16. larsjm

larsjm TDPRI Member

I think that guy tours around the country, because he's been in every Guitar Center I've ever visited. He wears a shirt that says, "Look at ME!...Look at ME!....ME, ME, ME, MEEEE!"

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  17. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I would be too embarrassed to play loudly at a music store. Besides, my goal would be to hear what the instrument sounds like, not hear myself perform. For that, I find some basic simple riffs, chord changes, lead bends, etc, tells the tale. Try each pickup, play in different places on the neck, none of that requires a lengthy or loud performance.

18. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

That's not all that was written in here. Pay attention.

20. opticnerv

opticnerv TDPRI Member

A local guitar shop (small biz, quality stock AND staff) has a sign prominently posted, "No Singing".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.