Guitar Center Visit to Try A Telecaster Goes Wrong!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jpjr50, Aug 26, 2019.

1. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted

I'm sure the guy was rude, annoying and a typical guitar shop show off, but maybe instead of indulging in passive aggressive violence fantasies, and glaring at the guy, maybe you could have tried to be assertive and simply said "excuse me..." and asked him if you could have a turn too?

After all people that play heavy music, do like to crank it up a little bit sometimes to hear what those amp dinguses actually do. I'm personally never interested in what a tube amp does on 1. Doesn't your guitar center have a loud room?

I'm not sure how this is supposed to teach anybody about manners, other than how you were offended, didn't say anything to the guy and didn't get to try out your guitar, and didn't get to get your friend's manager's discount.

2. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

You get a guitar, find a Very Large Amp directly behind doc wheedely-wheedely, lay the guitar on your lap, unplugged. Then when he’s not looking, plug one end of a cord into the amp, turn the amp to 11, wait a few to let it warm up, then touch your finger to the tip of the plug. Observe him come off the stool a few inches, stop and turn around. Give him your best “Jack Nicholson - The Shining” look. If he starts up again, repeat the behavioral training exercise.

Tim S and Crawldaddy like this.
  3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

LOL.
    I am retired so I can visit at unusual hour while many are at work and the younger folks are in school. Plus, I hate being shown up by a 24 year doing fretboard gymnastics while I trotting out some blues. I prefer the blues to mindless shredding but can't compete with the theatrics.

Omiewise65 likes this.
  4. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

At the store where I worked we had an amp room, and when they moved into a new location, they also setup an amp room. If the room was occupied, and another customer wanted to try an amp, we would set them up out on the floor and explain that they couldn't crank it too loud there, and if they needed to hear it louder, then they would have to wait for the room to be free. If the person in the room was in there for quite some time, then we would ask them if we could have the room for another customer. Easily managed with an intelligent staff.

preactor, Marc Morfei and Tommy Biggs like this.
  5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I like the idea mentioned earlier; play along with him, only in a different key. If that doesn't work, bust into Seven Nation Army or Stairway. LOL.

6. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Same.

7. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

I have been it the same position... I just go over to "that guy" and ask him to play the guitar I'm interested in.... Time is your friend, wait him out or, take your business else where...

8. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

The last time I was in a GC there was a fat teenager blasting away on some shredder guitar, the same speed metal roof over and over. He kept staring at me the whole time.

I didn't know if he was throwing down a challenge or waiting for me to acknowledge his playing.

Same thing over and over, never adjusting anything...

After about 20 minutes I just left. He probably went home thinking he conquered the day or something.

9. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's

I have done business with many people in the healthcare field. I’ve never seen a physician in scrubs outside of a surgical environment. First of all, doctors don’t want people to know they’re doctors because then they figure the price goes up as soon as you find out. Anybody who walks into a GC wearing scrubs is, IMHO, a wanker.

10. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

There are a lot of w@nkers in the world, and sadly some of them play guitar.

The store I use does have a 'loud' room, thankfully. I have used it to fiddle with various guitars/amps, and try very hard not too bother any of the other punters or the staff.

Recently I was offered the use of a Mesa triple-mental trouser-flapper w/ 4x12 while trying out a guitar (Aria PE-TR2, very nice!) but I declined in favour of a Katana 50, an amplifier that I actually own and was therefore interested in hearing the guitar through.

I was tempted for a second though... :)

Crawldaddy likes this.
  11. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

The last time I was in Guitar Center, about 10-12 years ago, I bought an acoustic guitar. I had them pull one from the warehouse, and I found a little room with an amp. (The acoustic room had a different kind of scrubs guy in wank mode.)

So I liked the guitar, bought it, and left.

Haven't been back since. ;)

12. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ve asked guys to turn it down on several occasions at the Brea GC. Each time was “sorry” and a lower more tolerable tone.
    I have the GuitarTuna app on my iPhone so tuning is rarely an issue.
    Any Health Care Professional can wear scrubs out side the Hospital - most likely ER or Orthopedic physicians. Next would be an ER Nurse (more likely male) although I’ve seen some Office nurses sporting them as well.
    They shouldn’t wear them outside the House.
    If I were a GC manager I’d assure the guitars were dusted and tuned. Loose knobs replaced.

13. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I worked around the medical field for a lot of years too. Most everyone who works in a hospital wears scrubs, from techs to housekeeping personnel to food service workers. The pharmacy techs at our local Walgreens pharmacy all wear scrubs.

You're right, don't assume it's a doc in the scrubs.

preactor and 8barlouie like this.
  14. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

There is a re-occurring name here....

"GUITAR CENTER"

Dog Bite and DanDII like this.
  15. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

He's a regular every Saturday at Nashville...a couple of times he's brought the rest of his garage band - all off tempo and out of tune:lol::lol::D

16. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I was in last week, and a fella was strumming a flattop and singing. Salesperson was trying to serve another customer, but conversation was challenging with our singer going. He wasn't bad, but the situation was. Wrong place, wrong time for that. I made the rounds to see if any new used interesting flattops had shown up, and got out quickly.

17. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I have to admit that I have, more than once at Guitar Center, deliberately plugged into an amp right next to some obnoxiously loud guy, figured out what key he was playing in, and started playing rhythm in a key 1/2 step higher, slightly off time to what he's playing. It makes everything he plays sound unbearable (even to him) and never fails to get him to put the guitar down and walk away.

I'd recommend trying it!

Euphonica and jpjr50 like this.
  18. pixeljammer

pixeljammer Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

That's one of the saddest lines I've read in a long time. Excellent description.

Tommy Biggs and RYAN1987M like this.
  19. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Just throwing it out there, that's against policy. As annoying as the "Walmart Radio " guys are, they're the only thing allowed to play. I'm pretty sure theres still a CD player in my stores electrical room from back when home office sent CDs, but thanks to morons blasting things that offended people shopping with thier toddlers at 3am, random CDs aren't allowed. Someone could call the 1800# about billy joe Bob's greatest hits.

20. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

I went into our local Tesco superstore on the way home from the pub with my daughter a few months back. Place looked like a bomb site - cardboard boxes all over the place as they were restocking, and what clientele there were would best be described as some of life’s characters. To my daughter’s delight though they were blasting Green Day at high volume. Seems that at night the staff are allowed to play whatever they feel like not the standard corporate mush.

Back to the original subject, The best known store near me is Anderton’s. There is a music college in town so that they do get the kids in showing off their new minted techniques. Thing is though is that they put them into little demo rooms which and deadens the sound to the outside world - yes you can hear them but you can also hear an electric strummed acoustically on the shop floor. There are amps on the shop floor but there volume is kept down. Result is that I keep going back (and spending money grrr)

urbandefault and Tommy Biggs like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.