Guitar Center Visit to Try A Telecaster Goes Wrong!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jpjr50, Aug 26, 2019.

1. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's

It’s possible your guy suffers from mental illness. Seriously.

awasson, mfowler314, Opaltone and 4 others like this.
  2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

It’s a common situation. They are reluctant to shut down scrubs guy because he might buy something if they let him jam for awhile. But as a result they lose you.

If I owned a GC I would limit volume level in the main space and post a sign saying noodlers have 20 minutes and that’s it. I would also have a room where amps could be tested at volume but this would also be monitored and managed.

jpjr50 likes this.
  3. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

Probably not. It was a GEM, not a PRS.

Deathray, PixMix, Buzzgrowl and 2 others like this.
  4. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I can get a set of scrubs for about $25. That's a great idea! (wink)

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Good manners and respect for others has pretty well left our society.:(

Oh, and be very careful about pushing anyone's buttons these days too.:(:(:(

6. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

The other day, I entered the acoustic room at a local GC and a teenager was playing and singing (what I assume was an original) into her laptop. She was very earnest and a had a nice voice. I don't know if she was broadcasting or just recording. I politely waited for her to finish. But it was taking a while so I wandered out of the room to give her some freedom. When she finished, I re-entered and was about to try a guitar when she started into her next song. Again very earnest and full of singer-songwriter angst. So I quietly ducked out again. It didn't anger me. It was just kind of odd. I guess it was fate's way of telling me to get out of the store and get some work done.

P.S. But as with the Steve Vai types, I suspect that it doesn't even occur to them that others in the store may not find their performance to be utterly captivating. They're probably thinking, "Just wait 'til they hear this next part!"

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Fretting out, jpjr50 and Chunkocaster like this.
  7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I thought that as well, but without a diagnosis I did want to generalize. He could have just been a lonely guy with nobody to talk to and a lack of social skills. I tend to be too nice with people like that.

8. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Columbus GC keeps "vintage" amps and most Ibanez stock in a separate glassed in room. Most crazies not amp shopping go there. I limited myself to short bursts of volume over noon on the dial on anything over 20w while shopping.

I was once in guitar center with about 20 people, and a couple guys near the door were trying out fenders and epis on a vox and a DRRI, playing this melodic jazzy kinda thing, at respectable volume. The whole store had stopped to listen for 3 minutes or less and applauded when they were done. The looked embarrassed as hell, and shied away from the employee who complimented them.

Why do I mention this? Because it really is the people we want to hear the least who play so loud you don't hear anything else. If you wanted to hear them, youd do it by choice.

9. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I haven't worked in guitar/amp sales, so I can't say. But my guess is that the loud noodlers are more often than not there to noodle, and nothing else. Worse than tire kickers. Just there to hear themselves play. I doubt they buy anything. People that buy gear buy it so they can noodle at home, and not bother anyone. They can always bring it back if they don't like it. GC in particular has a very liberal return policy.

Noodlers are putting on a show.

Lefty Addams, jpjr50 and 8barlouie like this.
  10. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

I rarely plug in at a GC. That's why I really appreciate their return policy. I try it out fully at home in my own space.

11. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

I don't have a GC anywhere near here so I've never been in one, but I don't think your experience is so unusual. Some people just have no idea how they look and sound to other people because, well, they don't seem to care. I know that the staff don't usually do anything in most places 'cus they want to make a sale. They're about .05% sure the performer will someday maybe buy something so they don't want to tick them off. It usually takes really serious behaviour to get sales staff to get people to stop it. Or they don't care. Who knows? I usually just leave and come back another time. One thing that's been proven over and over is that you can't legislate courtesy or common sense. :mad:

jpjr50 likes this.
  12. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Same here. The handful of times I've actually purchased a guitar at GC (maybe like, three times) I've only plugged it in to make sure everything is functioning properly, then brought it back to my comfortable, distraction free home to run it through my own rig.

A crowded Guitar Center sales floor is not an adequate environment to properly assess any piece of music gear. Not when you have scrubs shredder boy in one ear, out of tune kid who's just learned "Enter Sandman" in the other, and "DRUMS LINE TWO, DRUMS LINE TWO!!" on top of all of it.

13. ShortintheSleeve

ShortintheSleeve TDPRI Member

As a number of posters have already noted, it is ideal when a store has a room or two in which potential customers can crank up an amp. Playing an amp at a conversation volume is rarely indicative of what it sounds like for a live band or recording setting.

I don't mind the "store performers" like the scrubs guy too much if the employees don't let them play ad nauseam. When they saw someone else plugging in a guitar to try, they could've told him he needed to turn down out of courtesy for another potential customer.

jpjr50 likes this.
  14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The store I go to for gear purchases in my city has rehearsal rooms across the street. I grab a amp and head over there if I want to play loud or they let me take it home for a few days to try it out. It's a family owned store though and has been since the 70's. The owner is a nice guy and plays guitar himself.

Being able to turn up whatever amp you are considering purchasing should be catered for in a separate sound proof room imo.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  15. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Ahhh, the Guitar Center horror stories never end!

16. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I rarely buy anything new anymore & don't spend a lot of time in stores. I've owned enough guitars to know what to expect sound wise without ever plugging them in. Plus I assume I'll be removing any stock pickups anyway (because I have in every new guitar I decided was worth keeping for a while). If something new comes out, I may go check it out to see if I like the neck, fit & finish. Since I mod pretty much everything there's no point to paying new prices for stuff.

IMO you can't really test stuff in the store anyway. Guitars & amps will sound different with your set up. So there no need to crank it there. If you need to put it through it's paces to be a serious buyer, then rent it for a week.

jpjr50 likes this.
  17. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Don't try to handle the offensive customer yourself. If you get a belligerent reaction, you have no good responses.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  18. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

i've run into similar situations few times over the last 50 yrs.douches happen.i've met many more cool people in music stores so i am not going to let it get me down.i just don't see society going to hell like many of my fellow old guys.

19. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

Um, from my perspective, there is another side to look at the whole story from. Aside from all the cliches.

MilwMark and notmyusualuserid like this.
  20. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I can handle poor service occasionally and don't expect the star treatment in a GC. Even so, if I was dissed in front of my wife and kids, I'd be angry, too. At the very least, I'd speak to the manager and recommend some sensitivity training for the staff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.