Guitar Center Visit to Try A Telecaster Goes Wrong!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jpjr50, Aug 26, 2019.

1. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

So I have a thread asking about the Chris Shifflett Tele with humbuckers. Everyone said I'd have to try it as the results were mixed.

I'm starting a new thread because maybe it'll teach someone something about manners.

Went out to dinner with the fam on Friday and would you know we were passing our local Guitar Center so I stopped. I've bought several guitars here, I know the Manager quite well, we get to use his discount.

We all walk in and right away someone is playing guitar so loud I couldn't even talk with my wife. I look over and there is a guy with scrubs on (so a Doctor, or in that field) and he's playing a white GEM through a Fender Bass Breaker on at least 6.

I try and block him out, my wife and kids head to the Acoustic room to escape Steve Vai. I find the Shifflett Tele, make my way to amp far away from Steve. I plug into a Blackstar but the guitar of course is out of tune (like all of them). I can't tune the friggin guitar because Vai is rolling through pentatonic scales, sweep picking and putting on a show for the 3 people in the store.

So I'm tempted to go over and bash the guitar over his head but instead give him the stank eye. Want to guess what Dr. Seuss does next? Turns up the amp. So now I'm annoyed but try and manage. Can't hear the Tele very well, roll the switches and it seems the bridge pickup isn't working at all. I try to figure it out but now the Doctor No is playing 70's rock (Steely Dan, Eagles, etc.).

I get up head to the acoustic room in disgust. I assume the Doc has spent some money there and gets to do what he wants because not one employee bothered him even though they noticed customers were annoyed.

I say all this because please, don't be that guy. I've never read a thread like this on the forums so I assume we are a decent group.

Guess I'll try this again when my Manager friend is there.

Attached Files:

2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Whatta jerk.

8barlouie and jpjr50 like this.
  3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I've encountered loud players in stores before but no so obnoxious as what you describe.
    I've never understood why the larger (big box) stores don't have a few small rooms to audition guitars, acoustic or electric.
    There was a George's Music Store (now Sam Ash) in NE Florida that had such a room. I would use it to try out guitars and amps.
    Your guy may or not have been a physician. It's hard to generalize about folks but some docs, especially surgeons, can't stop being alpha dogs no matter the context. That's no excuse for what you describe.
    I wouldn't have expected the GC staff to do much.

4. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted

Sad!

Crawldaddy and jpjr50 like this.
  5. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

I’d go to a staff member and say “hey I really want to check this guitar out, can you tune it and set me up with an amp please? Preferably something louder than that guy”.

6. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

You should have asked one of the employees to have intervened if you were uncomfortable doing so and followed up with the manager.

The larger GC locations do have rooms off of the showroom floor where one can go to try a guitar. I’ve even asked to use the rooms set aside for lessons if they were available. Unfortunately, many folks are very self unaware.

teletail, Archtop Bill and 8barlouie like this.
  7. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

That guy frequents my local GC too.

I have the best chance of avoiding him and his friends if I go there at 11:00 am.

8. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

I so wanted to but the lack of interest in watching me struggle was even more annoying. It could have led to sale but instead they let this guy perform a concert.

Why is every Guitar out of tune? If I owned a guitar store I'd have the entire staff tune every guitar before I opened the doors. How many of us pickup a guitar, not in tune and put down right away? Sure I can tune it quickly but that's not the point. It's like going on a test drive when buying a new car but a tire is flat.

rolandson, PeterUK, awasson and 5 others like this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You should have just grabbed the guitar and plugged it into a 100w marshall stack.
    Start playing smoke on the water or stairway on the out of tune tele and that guy would move on pretty quickly.

Euphonica, Mouth, alathIN and 20 others like this.
  10. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

this - exactly this.

11. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Yes, it would be nice if guitars were in tune, but it would take one person an entire day, maybe longer, to tune all the guitars in a GC. I ask for a tuner or bring my own.

Wildcard_35 and EsquireBoy like this.
  12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I don't know why more retailers don't have a separate room for trying out amps. I've seen it, but it's rare.

I'm so insecure about my lead playing that I will only try out amps in a store if I'm really interested in an amp. I will turn it up for short spurts to get a quick feel for sound at reasonable volume, but that's it. I couldn't be that guy if I tried.

13. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I've run into "that guy" a few times as well.

Although, there is one worse. I ran into someone at a GC near where I work that felt the need to approach everyone and give them a long lecture about what notes and scales Clapton used. I was playing a few licks I use to try out guitars, with the amp on 1.5, and he comes over and starts telling me about scale modes and licks that Clapton used, then plugs in next to me so he can play them.

Uhhhh, OK, interesting and all, but why?

awasson, Crawldaddy, stnmtthw and 6 others like this.
  14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Ok so the other day I was trying out an amp, the store put me through a pedal tuner. Well.... I couldn't figure it out. Not sure what I was missing, but for the life of me I could not get the guitar in tune. I went to tune it by ear, and the sales guy wasn't having it. He pretty much demanded he tune it for me. Emasculated by a sales guy. Gotta luv it. :confused:

Amp sounded great. But I won't be purchasing it there. Wouldn't do a discount, either.

Fretting out, RiverDog and jpjr50 like this.
  15. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

And once they completed the store, the temperature / humidity would change, and they would have to start over.

Out of tune never bothered me - unstretched strings, or strings that won't stay in tune anymore is an issue.

However, if I am interested in a purchase, and I make my intention known, and ask for a new set of strings, I've never been turned down.

teletail and jpjr50 like this.
  16. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

He may have been a dentist, they train to be resistent to other peoples' pain and discomfort.

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The internet is a fascinating social experiment which reveals humanities’ apparent inability to work around even the smallest of inconveniences without experiencing rage and the need for admonition. Have soapbox sales actually skyrocketed since it became ubiquitous?

18. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

The jerks that play the loudest in stores are always always always the last people that should be. They always seem to be at a certain stage of developement. There absolutely must be some psychological process going on that is truly delusional. Its curious that they all play the same exact things?:( Nobody needs to be shredding at gig volume in a crowded store.
    Believe me, nobody is more annoyed than the store staff, but it’s completely up to them to control the floor and establish a considerate, pleasant environment for everyone.
    That guy was most likely not there to buy anything and you were there with a specific guitar in mind.
    How hard is it to post a sign that says “Please be considerate to the other patrons and staff of this store. Please limit volume to below conversational levels. That’s 75db as displayed on the DB meter above. Thank you.
    ~Everyone”

CDox, GuitarKid, Opaltone and 2 others like this.
  19. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I like to play along with them, but in a different key so that everyone knows who's doing what.

gaddis, awasson, bender66 and 12 others like this.
  20. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

GC usually has a Platinum room. I’d find the manager on duty, tell him I’m a serious shopper, and ask to use it. As a bonus, there are usually pretty good amps in there. As for the jerk, I encounter one or two every day and try not to let it get to me.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.