Guitar Center threads

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Musekatcher, May 28, 2019.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

If they were a monopoly then they wouldn't hand out 15% off coupons every other week. Please don't gripe about exclusions. The manager in Milwaukee will allow any coupon for any item. I think the Milwaukee sales manager likes it when his people sell. Brilliant guy!

2. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

my main problem is the employees at GC they usually suck, if the store has a good manager that hires musicians then it usually isn't so bad. I have seen both good and bad at my local GC and that was the deciding factor

3. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the laugh, that was good. Are ya' sure they don't also kick babies?

BorderRadio likes this.
  4. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

My GC is fine. The only complaint I have with them is in returning an item. Their return POLICY is excellent...I've never had them refuse to accept a return and fully refund the purchase. The problem is the implementation. It takes them FOREVER, and it has been this way for years. It's faster to complete a return at Walmart, Home Depot, or anywhere else.

5. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Every time someone starts a Guitar Center thread, a kitten dies

MilwMark, BorderRadio and Whatizitman like this.
  6. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Because we aren’t allowed to discuss religion or politics. ;)

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    PlainAllman and beyer160 like this.
  7. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere so I have to buy my gear online unless I want to make a 3 hour round trip. I have dealt with MF (bought guitar,strings,pedals,cords) never any problem taking returns if necessary. Also dealt with AMS fastest shipping ever. And even Amazon.. Never bought from GC

8. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

The reason people are averse to GC is that the chain is putting local music stores out of business, simply due to the huge capital investment GC is able to make in stocking a big inventory. And we all have stories about the ways that GC is inferior to most local music stores. So as musicians our choices are getting reduced, and our experience is being diminished. Many of us still sometimes shop there, because depending on where you live you might have few other options, but generally we don't feel good about giving our money to a big company, when we'd prefer to give it to a local merchant who supports local music. The whole thing makes people uneasy, and kind of sad.

9. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Fender and Gibson have helped kill local music stores, by requiring high sales quotas that are unachievable to many smaller stores.

backporchmusic likes this.
  10. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

I had a good experience at GC. I sold a strat and bought a lovely Gretsch 2622, I got $250 for the strat, a "new customer" discount (i've been going to GC since 1977). it ended up costing like $150. The first sales guy couldn't be bothered, but the second sales dude worked it and made it happen. my local didn't want it, and I got it at Sam Ash and I know they can look up how little I paid for it, so GC it was. sweet guitar

11. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hello? It's "Guitar Center"... they have guitars! What's the fuss? I'm going there right now! Really, I have some errands in that neighborhood and will tempt fate. :)

edit... while they're still in business! :p

backporchmusic likes this.
  12. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I used to buy from local mom & pop music shops. These days I go to GC to try and either buy there or online.

My closest GC is in tax free Nashua, NH.

drewcp likes this.
  13. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

That's only partly true. Apparently some still support local shops. From 2007 to 2014 I was teaching at one of the only two local, independent shops in fairly small town. GC finally got around to trying to stake their claim. For several years many of us waited and watched. Long time customers switched over to GC, it looked like the end was in sight. After some time, it became clear that there were too many in town valued the local independent store. The guys who worked at the shop I was teaching at always prided themselves on superior customer service, really taking care of people, and giving them a fair deal. They worked hard to have a good selection of gear. It paid off.

I no longer teach there, but have checked in over the years, and they are still going strong. Even most of the long time customers have returned, as they get a better level of service and expertise. That's not to say all GC are staffed with inexperienced people, but it sure seems quite common. It is possible to keep the doors open in the face of a GC if a store is smart and diligent.

I know of two other examples of this sort of thing. In those cases, both stores closed their doors because the owners wanted to do something else. They could have kept going for as long as they cared to, even in the face of (at that time) Mars Music and GC.

14. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Like the Eskimo who always laughs when someone slips and falls on the ice, there is some powerful "lizard-brain" aspect of our minds (by which I mean endowed through means not always subject to reason) which rejoices and finds psychological sustenance in:
    a) Glad it wasn't me (the resta youse are fools)
    b) Glad it wasn't only me (misery loves company)

drewcp likes this.
  15. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

I live in the boondocks and a long ways from a GC. In the past I lived in Houston and was very pleased with the GC on Westheimer. I had 'my guy' (hi Doug!) who took good care of me. I bought half a dozen guitars there, including a couple high dollar acoustics.
    Most of my $$$ went to Fuller's Vintage Guitars.
    I moved to Austin and luckily 'my guy' also moved there too. No interruption in good service.
    Now I buy everything mail order. MF, Reverb, etc.

Mark

16. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

There is a local store in the city I grew up in that has been in the same location for literally decades and is still going strong. I bought my first guitar there over 20 years ago and my Telecaster which i got for last Christmas was purchased there also. GC is about 5 miles away. I think it has been there maybe 6-8 years. It doesn’t appear GC has affected the other stores business much.

17. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

I've never been in one. They don't have a franchise here, so I've had no experience with them. We have other chains and some outlets are better than others, but nothing really to post about. It's probably just due to their claims to be so good and experiences that either prove it to someone or disprove it to someone. And all those experiences are between different individuals looking for different things. Just another day in life. :)

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

This thread is actually turning out to be very thoughtful about this subject. Almost everything said by others above are true. Every store will be a different experience because of the different staffs. It is not a monopoly, but it is "THE" big box store of guitars with Sam Ash not far behind. Regardless whether it is guitars or men's shirts, the big box store will typically provide mediocre service compared to a more personal small boutique shop. As long as you know that going in and adjust your expectations, you'll be okay with it.

The big box stores offere more inventory, more variety and from large bulk buying power, some discounts. This is what the big box store did to almost every Ma and Pop store whether is guitars, or plumbing or jeans. The internet stores just added another jump in mass inventory buying power and saved by not having brick and mortar retail structures. This is what the internet store is doing to the big box store.

And so it goes.

19. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

No They Don't!

20. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Yes They Do!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.