Guitar Center Stories, the Good,the Bad and the Ugly

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Feb 2, 2019.

1. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I have a amp on hold w/ NO pix on the web site, if it is what it says it is ( and is in half decent condition )it’s a heck of a deal, if not I get a nice ride thru horse country, and perhaps they will have something else.

Shuster likes this.
  2. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

My only problem with them occurred through their used on-line selection.
    I had ordered a Clapton Strat, used, which was listed as in excellent condition. Apparently they took it in without any questions asked. So I had it sent to my local GC for pickup. What I found when I got there was not what I expected. The back trem cover was missing and it was apparent that the entire bridge had been replaced, and it was not even a Fender unit. I decided to plug it in and found that the tone control and TBX circuitry were all missing.
    They did give me my money back, but I've been a little hesitant to order anything since.

Wildcard_35 and Shuster like this.
  3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My local one is great. I've none all the higher ups for years. Everyone important calls me by name and they are extremely helpful. Never had any problems with instore purchases or orders.

The couple of used gear mom and pops left couldn't care if you dropped dead on their floor.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  4. jimmyv723

jimmyv723 Tele-Meister

That happened to me with an LTD Alexi 200 that had the pics for a Dave Mustaine DV8R. I was also in my local GC picking up my Schecter Solo 6 Custom E/A after it passed the 30 day holding period recently and they had a PRS tagged as a CE-22 but it was an S2 Custom 24. I brought it up and told them it was labeled wrong both in model and fret number but they never changed it.

Shuster and drewcp like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have no bad GC stories.
    I worked at the Northcross Mall store about 15 years ago.
    It was an extremely busy place at the time.
    It was my least favorite of the six music/guitar stores I worked for.
    It was a very “corporate soul-less” outfit to work for, IMO.
    Oh well, it was only 9 months, and it kept me fed.
    I actually bought three great Les Pauls from them over the years.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  6. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

You said I could borrow one of those...right? :cool:

7. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

We may have crossed paths. I lived not far from that GC at the time. I didn't shop there much. I haven't been back to the area in a while. I believe a Walmart took over the mall?
    I did, however, buy quite a bit from the GC/Westheimer/Houston previously. They treated me well and I purchased several nice guitars from them.

Mark

brookdalebill likes this.
  8. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve had good luck with GC I think they all have a shrinking inventory but I’ve always received decent service. My GC story back in 81 I built my first electric guitar I drove to San Francisco to the guitar center (short drive back then) So I needed pickups, bridge & tail piece so I was talking to salesman told him what I needed He showed me some Dimazio pickups Humbuckers, SG style bridge, and some Tail piece with fine tuning knobs on it then he showed me some ring that go around the pickups, everything gold plated. Then he asked how much I had told him $80 is all I had, then he said he could do all those parts for $80 cash out the door. NO brainer I handed him the money I talked about that deal for at least a year. To be totally honest it was about 5 years later I realized what he did, of coarse no receipt.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Shuster and studio1087 like this.
  9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The bathrooms are always soooo gross.

E5RSY likes this.
  10. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

No, the GC is still there. In fact, they just underwent a major remodel. Pretty nice, actually.

The Wal Mart is further west a bit, kinda past where Oshman's used to be, and it's freestanding. Hop on Google Earth and you can see exactly where I'm talking about.

brookdalebill likes this.
  11. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Ok, I'll make it short.

I went to GC back when the bassbreaker first came out, cause I wanted the little 7 watter for a living room amp.

So, I went in and pulled a cool looking Epiphone Wildkat off the shelf they only wanted $200 for.... (should have bought that one, but they pissed me off)

Found the little 007 combo on the showroom floor, but I couldn't find a cable...

So, I finally after about 10 minutes found someone willing to get a cable.

So, I plug in and the amp is DOA...

The sales guy is fiddling with the knobs on the amp and then starts moving knobs and switch on the guitar in a condescending way, like I didn't know where the volume on the guitar was...

Once he concludes the amp is dead, he wonders off back to the counter...

I found someone else and told them the floor model was dead and asked if they could get another one out for me to demo, and he told me to just try the higher powered model...

I explained to him that I'm interested in hearing the 7 watt not the others.

He tells me "they are the same, just try one"

I reiterate to this guy, that I have ZERO interest in anything but the 7 watt model, and all I wanna do is have a few minutes to try it out and see if it suits my needs.

He then says " we have the 45 and the 15 watt out on the floor already, if you want to try one of them go ahead,.... etc...

Not, "ok man, you clearly want to buy a 007, let me get one out here so maybe you can take it home".

They basically refused to let me demo an amp that I intended to purchase with cash, after the one they had on the floor didn't work.

There's 2 more stories I could tell but it will have to be in separate posts.

El Tele Lobo, soulman969 and Shuster like this.
  12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve had many great experiences. Every guitar that I’ve bought used online has arrived in better shape than advertised. The local sales team is sharp and most of them are gigging musicians.

I can’t think of anything really bad. An ES339 Studio showed up localy (used) for $850. I saw it online. I called and a new sales guy told me it was mint. I asked that he hold it on my Amex. I got to the store and the finish was cracked aroud the neck joint. He started backpedaling and telling me that it was only cosmetic. He got a bit pissy when I asked him to reverse the Amex charges. i didn’t want it. I thought it was a bush league stunt on his part. The guy lasted three months and he was gone. The “problem” worked itself out of the store.

I like GC a lot.

soulman969 and Shuster like this.
  13. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

here's my story: last time I went to GC, no one made me feel like a jerk and no 14 year olds called me "bro". I didn't buy anything, so I didn't have to go through the "I do not wish to give my name" battle at the cash register.

so I didn't leave there mad or disgusted. probably a first.

Whatizitman and Shuster like this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

You should try that trick at an expensive jewelry store, you might get that expensive Cartier watch you've always had your eye on!

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  15. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

No one tried to oversell me or make excuses. In fact, it was kind of the opposite--absolute indifference. I ordered a used USA strat in "excellent" condition. It was sent from an out-of-store to my local GC. But it came w/ a nasty gouge on the body that was not in the photo. You could see the bare wood. My local guys were apologetic but had a "those guys at the other store are idiots" attitude.

Happy ending: I found the same model in perfect condition at a better price on Reverb. Plays like butter.

Shuster and thunderbyrd like this.
  16. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

So much for your status as the cool uncle.

pixeljammer, Chunkocaster and Shuster like this.
  17. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Really a story about Mrs. D's virtues, not GC's.

Shuster likes this.
  18. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

LMAO:lol:

19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You could have tuck and rolled into the DJ section taking that gear out too while you had the opportunity.:)

20. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel Tele-Meister

I'd say in the 35 years or so I've been going to GC, most of my experiences have been pretty positive, and I'm happy with the things I've bought there.

The only negative thing wound up getting resolved fine. I'd ordered a guitar from their website, a Burns, and if you're familiar with the make, they come with cool silver alligator skin cases, so I called the shipping store (Portland), to make sure the guitar included the factory case, ordered it, and had it shipped to my local store (Hillsdale). Well, when I picked it up, it was well packed, but with no case, and the manager was a bit of a dick about it til I insisted he call the Portland store, and sure enough, it was sitting on their shelf, and they shipped to me right away.

smartsoul72 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.