Guitar Center Rant of the Week

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Starshine, Feb 21, 2016.

1. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Not even close, amazon is CV cheaper all the time. I have never had a good experience at GC.

2. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Was a step ladder required to get the banjo off of a high wall?

I don't understand the story.

Could you reach the thing?

Why not walk up to a cash register with the thing? Someone would have rang you up.

3. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Guys what? Amazon US won't ship lots of things out of the US. Including guitars.

You still got the cheapest there.

4. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

GC experiences can vary from day to day. There are certain sales people at both of my stores I like better than others. Some will work with you from the start. And others make it a production of "seeing what they can do". I've learned who's who and avoid the latter. Maybe it's an authority level thing?

Generally, I know more than they do about specific items. But, it's fun to talk with them and get their perspective. I research whatever it is I want before going in and I make sure it's there. Sometimes I buy on line, so it's waiting for me. Other times, I like to mess around with it before deciding. This could be for: guitars, pedals or amps.

I'm a familiar face and know a few by name as they know my name. I've never had any issues with service. But then, my expectations aren't great either.

5. roscoe10

roscoe10 Tele-Meister

I have never had good customer service at a GC, but if they had something used and cheap I wanted I would buy it. I just don't expect good service -- someone taking my money is enough at a place like that. I worked in MI retail for a decade and have been a player, and sometimes collector, my whole adult life, so I don't usually need to ask questions. If I don't know about something, it is so easy to research on the web and ask questions on a forum like this. If I have to buy something new from a big box, I order from Sweetwater. Their prices are fantastic, shipping is free, and customer service is awesome. Not trying to shill for them, but just to say there are alternatives.

6. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I’ve never had what you might call a bad experience at GC, the one near my office in Towson or the Glen Burnie Store. I know one of the managers at GB he used to work at Garret Park when he was a kid, another one also from Garrett Park was the Guitar manager at Towson but he’s opened his own store around the corner. As far as a retail experience GC is way ahead of say Sears or Walmart.

7. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

I seldom bother going to GC anymore. The attitudes I encounter are a total nuisance. Being a 63 year old woman they usually start behaving like I'm senile and clueless about guitar playing.

On the other hand my relationship with the local Chicago Music store is excellent. And they are a Fender Dealer.

8. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've been going to Bizarre guitar since around 1992. I love that place and they will deal. The last time I was there I was given the basement tour for their vintage gear. I drop in any time I'm in the area. The sales people are friendly.
    I walked into Skips Music in Sacramento about a year ago with a pocket full of cash and a burning desire for a new Strat. They happened to have exactly what I wanted but the only sales guy on the floor was helping the customer who walked in right before I did. No problem; I can wait; and waited. What ticked me off was that the sales guy walked right passed me a few times and never once would make eye contact or even say something like "I'll be right with you". The jerk just ignored me. I waited about 20 minutes or so and left.
    We have two GC's nearby and I do buy from them but I resent the fact that you have to ask for a price match on anything, otherwise you will be hosed.

9. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

This has been my experience as well.

10. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've gotten to where I limit guitar and amp purchases to in-person only, so that eliminates online buying for me. Too many experiences in the last year or so where I didn't like the guitar/amp.

So as far as local buying, that's GC, craigslist, a few local guitar shops, and pawn shops.

Pawn shops: mostly rusty tools, assorted junk that I can't imagine actually paying cash for, TVs that are about 5-10% cheaper than new with warranty, and overpriced Squier/Epiphone/First Act guitars with inch-high action and gummed up fretboards. Occasionally you'll find the rare gem... emphasis on 'rare.'

Guitar shops: hit and miss. Some good and bad. Prices are average at best, very few deals.

Craigslist: actually my #1 source of instruments. Still some killer deals to be had by desperate sellers. LOVE C'list!

GC: my #2 source. Better selection than the other shops. I don't care that they don't care. I'm only interested in buying stuff for a good price--they can be helpful to me or not, doesn't matter, I don't really need their help.

11. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Did you want either? If so, did you attempt to talk them down on the price? If not, well, not much else to say except you obviously don't care for GC.

12. Zachevans3

Zachevans3 Tele-Meister

Hey off subject but there's a nice open back recording King on stupid deal of the day at musicians friend today. Maybe worth looking into

13. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Exactly. I don't get it either. But I guess it's more fun to bash Guitar Center than play the new banjo that you wanted.

14. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

We live closer to a Music Go Round store. It's about the same
    as GC (which is 30 minutes away) and they will price match.

I got a better trade in deal at Music Go Round than at GC though.

15. Shrednoise321

Shrednoise321 TDPRI Member

I used to work at one a long time ago. They do suck. The only reason I go is because I'm friends with their guitar tech and he works on all my stuff and my off the wall demands! LOL!! I was the guy that stamped your receipt and got asked more questions than the sales guys because they didn't want to be bothered. Then got in trouble for telling a customer the truth.

16. Johnny P

Johnny P Tele-Meister

Like every thing, every store is different. The 2 closest GC to me are in the Buffalo area and both stores are great! They don't smother me when I just want to kill some time and they are knowledgeable when I need help. Now, the GC in Pittsburgh is just the opposite.

17. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

My experience at our local GC is that they're nice guys, and some gig, but they're mostly metal heads. I've never asked them to work on anything for me, so I can't comment, and I've never bought a guitar or amp there. Personally, I find the whole environment pretty silly.

It feels more like a car dealership than a place for musicians. Only, in this dealership, they check your bags before you leave. The presumption is that you might be a criminal.

Thanks, I'll pass on GC.

18. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

I haven't been in a GC for a few months, but they were not checking receipts or bags at that time. I asked if they wanted to see my receipt and the guy laughed and said "we don't do that anymore."

19. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It'd be great to go into a car dealership and just test drive any car in the place, without being hounded. And when was the last time you stuffed a car under your jacket?

The silly thing is the majority of GC complaints in this thread. They are what they are.

20. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

My last (and the last...I'm through with 'em) was a pedal advertised as mint with box and manual from a store in NY. The pedal arrived in as new condition but sans box and paperwork. I did their 'talk to a rep' via internet chat, twice, and was told that they would contact the store. Nothing ever happened after that.

Good feeling story though. I bought another pedal from a fellow in Mass off of eBay. It was advertised just as the other one was. When he shipped it he forgot to include the owners manual and contacted me saying that he'd mail it. I thanked him for his honesty and mentioned my GC experience. So...He sent me the corresponding box and candy for the GC pedal at his expense without telling me. Surprise! What a guy! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.