Guitar Center Outlets

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by boris bubbanov, Jan 27, 2014.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

2. PineBomb

PineBomb Tele-Holic

Interesting ... sort of. Their first tier stores usually underwhelm. Can I stomach the disappointment lurking on the next step down?

3. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

4. boris bubbanov

They have a segment devoted to Telecasters only; so don't be too suspicious. I'm sorry, I forgot that Board limited the one area to members AND I forgot where the poster had put it.

GC may have or may have had locations in San Diego and I think the one in Atlanta on Cobb near I-285 is still viable.

Is this one blocked also?

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/sid...71785-just-went-atl-guitar-center-outlet.html

5. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Is an outlet store where all the GC rants and hate goes?

6. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

7. boris bubbanov

I hate to say it but it might be 2-3 steps down from their usual stores. No, this is a down and dirty, rescue a guitar or amp type of deal. I mean, there's a reason a week went by and nobody is talking about this here. :neutral:

:twisted:

This is a fascinating subject because you can't accumulate knowledge about the subject just by exploring the Intermess. Doesn't matter which engine you use or which terms you try, this Outlet is like an absessed tooth and you just can't get to it with a little "light diggin'". :)

8. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

For some reason I thought we were all members there, too. I am, at least - maybe I joined without remembering.

Apparently the GC website lists the Whitehall PA store as being an outlet, but the manager of that store denies that they are and didn't even know there was such a thing.

9. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    are these the stores you all are talking about?

If they are, it doesn't seem too secretive to me.

But then, I may be missing something.

I often do.

:)

10. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, that was the same link I posted above that a quick Google search found.

I tried my TDPRI username and password at Strat Talk and they didn't work, FWIW.

11. dleuen

dleuen Tele-Meister

I don't like that idea at all. So it sounds like all the regular GC stores will be shipping their clearance items to the outlet. Therefore no clearance sale items at my local stores. I tend to by a lot of stuff when it is at the clearance price. Maybe they'll still offer clearance locally and if it still doesn't sell then ship it to the outlet.

12. boris bubbanov

No. One has to join. What's new is people used to lurk there and now I guess one can't do that effectively any more.

+

The link only has some of the stores; not all of them.

No, I don't think the other stores will be bereft of clearance items. I'm suspicious they glommed a bunch of stuff the average TDPRI'er would not buy, under separate roofs, and they blow it out but it'll be overseas heavy, pink and optic green heavy, shredder heavy and busted heavy stuff and not the items many of us like to discuss.

13. PineBomb

PineBomb Tele-Holic

I was being generously vague. The ladder I referred to was missing a few rungs. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

14. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

Just looking at the one they call "Long Beach" there are some issues there. I've been to that store several times, it's near Angel Stadium.

They list it as Long Beach, not really that close to Long Beach though, not even the same county, the actual address they give is correct, Orange. And it's in a mall that has a lot of outlet stores, called "The Block at Orange," maybe that's why it's listed on that link as an "outlet," but there doesn't seem to be anything different about the GC to me. It's a relatively new store, when it first opened a couple of years ago they had better stock than the others in the area because they were new. The GC website lists it as, again, The Block at Orange store. http://stores.guitarcenter.com/block-at-orange

So maybe in this case the fact that it's in a mall with a lot of outlet stores gets it listed as an outlet store.

15. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta Tele-Afflicted

We have one!

16. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

GC recently opened one of these in Dallas. Right next door to the new (amazing and gorgeous, I'd like to add...) Sam Ash Dallas store.

I thought it was a Dallas-only deal, to try and put the pinch on Sam Ash. After visiting both places, I have to say that it actually makes Sam Ash look better... But I'm still glad it's there.

The GC Outlet in Dallas seems to be a collection of clearance items culled from other stores. The tagged prices are the same as the tagged clearance items that you would find in a regular GC, but there are two main differences.

First, there is NO WARRANTY on anything from the GC Outlets. You buy it, you own it. No 30 days "see if you like it and then change your mind" stuff. Also, if you get it home and it suddenly doesn't work, tough luck. Call the manufacturer... MAYBE they'll help you, but don't count on it.

Second, and perhaps more important, I was told that the Outlet store has a lot more flexibility to negotiate on prices compared to a regular GC store.

I made offers on a couple of Gibson guitars to no avail, but I was able to get a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Strat pickup for $20. It was marked at $70, I asked what he could do, he said $40, I countered with $20, and he said, "Sold!" :cool:

That's also where I learned that the MXR Classic Overdrive was being blown out for $20.

I bought one at the Outlet store, and then went back to my regular GC the next day to look for more. I surprised the kids at the accessory counter as they didn't know they were on clearance...

If you buy them from the regular store, they still come with the 30 day "no questions asked" GC guarantee... Makes me wonder if I coulda' offered $15 at the Outlet store... :p :oops:

So, that's my experience.

The GC Outlet store is grungy and kinda' sad, not unlike a pawn shop or visiting the local dog pound... While selection is limited, prices are good, especially if you're not afraid to haggle a bit.

If you don't like grunge and/or haggling, the amazing and gorgeous Sam Ash store is right next door... :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2AutoHU9us

17. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

That doesn't really make sense to me, as a business idea for GC. Why go to the expense of shipping stuff they might already be taking a loss on, to locations they'd have to pay rent on and staff? Someone will buy it if the price is low enough, and with GC going more to web ordering, it seems to me that it would make more sense to do it virtually, customer pays for shipping. And GC seems to be stocking their stores less in favor of special ordering, so it stands to reason they will have less unsold merchandise.

Does GC have central warehouse locations? I could see having outlets for those.

18. JayFreddy

I'm guessing it allows the loss to be transferred to a different part of the company (i.e., the Outlets), so the accountants can show the regular stores are actually more profitable than they would be otherwise. (Didn't Andrew Fastow do that?! :p :oops: )

Also, by putting their lower priced items next to known competitors, it forces the competitors to keep their prices down as well, thus lowering their competitor's profits in the process...

They might not make much on paper, but if they can keep from losing money on paper, and simultaneously hurt their competitors, essentially for free, it might be worth doing... At least in the short run.

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

uh, haven't outlet stores been around for awhile?

20. JayFreddy

The GC Outlet store in Dallas opened right around Thanksgiving. Still relatively new here. Remember, GC is from California, so you guys usually get to see what they're up to before the rest of us.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.