1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitar Center makes it hard to like them

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Throttleneck, May 25, 2017.

1. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Call MF you will get the 15% discount AND not pay any State Sales Tax ... cool .

2. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Both my nearby GC are great. Lucky for me I guess......

3. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

I've found lately I get better prices from ZZounds and Sam Ash. But I call and ask for today's best price.

JayFreddy likes this.
  4. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Guitar Center is the only place where my debit card doesn't work. Every damn time. Works everywhere else every day. Go figure.

5. joeybyron

joeybyron Tele-Meister

AMEN!

Yea, It's an old but powerful system. That being said, any business can't let lowly employees change prices :(

TBH though the reason things go smoother at: Target, walmart, cvs etc, etc is because they don't haggle prices with their customers. Go to Walmart and say "I spend a lot of money here! I deserve this roll of toilet paper free.

That is pretty much the life of a sales associate there. Many customers think they are entitled to something free just because they bought a guitar.

I get to bear the brunt of folks waiting in line bc a customer ahead of them wanted a free strap, or a pair of string as I'm trying to ring them up. So I have to call a manger over.

IMPO the manager should have politely said "I'm sorry but this item does not qualify for the 15% off. OP could have either payed full price or called a competitor for a discounted price.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Jimmy Owen and RaistMagus like this.
  6. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

It's been my experience with GC that every discount coupon they send me specifically excludes everything I might be interested in buying. :oops:

7. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Delete duplicate post.

First time that's happened to me.

8. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

You guys are nuts;) GC is great, I've never actually bought anything or even gone into the store....but when I sell on Craiglist I always say "meet me in the GC in the parking lot", and it always works great because all the guitar players know exactly where I mean! Having said that, I do buy from Musicians Friend and have zero complaints with them.

FenderGyrl and Straydogger like this.
  9. joeybyron

joeybyron Tele-Meister

It's the same company.

10. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Holic

Be nice to guitar center. It's time left is limited

11. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

I love Sweetwater. I have had MANY bad experiences at GC. They put every music store within 100 miles out of business so I still have to make the extremely long journey to GC now and then if I need a string the same day. 80 miles and 2 bridge tolls later I have a high E string in my hand!

12. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

Sweetwater is great. I call or email my rep (same guy for ~4-5 years now), and he gets it done.

There was a bass I wanted, $550 to my door from reverb sellers. Called Matt, asked what he could do -- he saved me $80.

Quick and free shipping, and always a follow up phone call to ask if everything went right. I am a dedicated customer, and they earn it with each transaction.

FenderGyrl and joeybyron like this.
  13. Alaman

Alaman Tele-Meister

I have found Sweetwater has a business model similar to Publix ( a grocery store down south). They emphasize great customer service and personal attention but their prices are nothing great and are more than often higher than competitors. They bank on folks who appreciate the personal service over discount marts. It seems to work as the lot is always full. I've found Sweetwater sales reps to be very friendly and helpful, they have great customer service and have a great website if you shop guitars online...but their prices are same or higher than everybody else. I never see any killer deals there. If I know I'm going to have to pay full retail for something then I give them my business but that is rare. I'm frugile and I'll shop for who gives me best price whether GC, MF, Amazon, others. I have no loyalties to any company when spending my money shopping. I save my loyalties for other areas of my life.

14. ES330

ES330 TDPRI Member

They recently opened a Guitar Center in my area. Went in there a few weeks ago and it was a ghost town. Not even a single shredder for background noise. How strange it was to be in a GC without the shredding....

Mr. Moss likes this.
  15. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

When I was young I used to buy single E strings like that. Now that I have a 'real job' though, I just can't be bothered by the inconvenience.

I've become a big fan of buying strings in bulk, either from Sweetwater or Amazon.

Another thing I like a lot about Sweetwater: they take photos of the individual guitar by serial number and tell you exactly how much it weighs. That's nice when you're buying a nitro or poly Telecaster with the grain showing; I'm picky about the grain pattern if it's a guitar I'm gonna keep and play a lot.

joeybyron likes this.
  16. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Funny ain't it. Poor souls with their cheap guitars, endless special offers, FSRs and whatnot. I shake my head at their trials and tribulations and think, you don't know how good you've got it.

telemnemonics and dented like this.
  17. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

I used to go to the local stores all the time, especially when gigging or having practice every night of the week. There is more than just the highE that you might need the same day. There are mic cables that go bad. I guess you need to keep enough extra mic cables on hand to cover every possible scenario. Or if you run out of picks. Or if there is going to be a guest sitting in and you need an extra mic stand... Working musicians sometimes need stuff right away. GC is partly responsible for driving those local businesses out. Now there is little choice for shopping in store GC has the monopoly.
    Now a days you just have to tell everyone band practice and shows are cancelled for 3-5 business days I'm waiting on Amazon. I would prefer to never give another nickel to GC but it is just not possible in my line of work.

18. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Strings and beyond. Buy a lot. It's cheaper.

19. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Valid point. Not helpful though if you NEED a PA speaker 3 hours before a gig. Just happened to me last Dec. Unless you stock up on backup speakers. I just don't have room for that.

dlew919 likes this.
  20. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

Weird. I had that happen to me a while back. I wanted to buy an amp cover and I saw Full Compass had them in stock. I contacted Sweetwater to see if they would match the price and the guy insulted me too. It was bizarre. I think my response was just "Wow". Another rep that I had bought from emailed me back right away all apologetic. I hardly ever buy anything from them as I usually look for used stuff anyway.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.