1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitar Center in Trouble?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Octorfunk, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

I know I know, everyone has been saying this for years, and I'm not joining the chorus.

BUT...

I live in the 2nd largest city in my state, and I was very surprised to see that our GC closed a couple weeks ago.

I'm sure that means nothing for the franchise in general, but it did make me stop and think; if a city of 300,000+ can't keep it open...

It also feels like their used inventory is way down as well, at least electric guitars.

Has anyone else seen their local GC close up shop recently?

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

What state do you live in?

The GC in Madison, WI has got to be holding on by a thread. They’ve drastically reduced their inventory. Though they have been spiraling down for a few years now.

I do wonder if GC will go mainly online and just keep a handful of stores open in major cities/the highest performing stores.

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

They just emerge from bankruptcy reorganization. I’m sure that the plan that was excepted by the judge and creditors was for guitar center to downsize and close less profitable or under performing stores.

Inventory is down at many retailers.

Perhaps the store in your area was under performing and got the ax.

Guitar Centers problem is obviously related to their massive debt. On the other hand, retail is changing and this is just the natural evolution of the new business environment. There are lots of businesses who have shuttered stores and altered their business model.

crazydave911 and Jakedog like this.
  4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

After the nuclear holocaust only Keith Richards, roaches and Guitar Center will have survived.
    Any speculation to the contrary is unnecessary.

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

...all eating cheeseburgers wrapped with golden arches ;).

6. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

I'm in Indiana.

I didn't want to speculate, I was very genuinely surprised when it closed.

7. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The GC's in & around Portland, OR should go ahead and close since there's very little left inside to purchase.

8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Evansville, Greenwood, Merrilville, or Mishawaka?

Hiker and crazydave911 like this.
  9. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

Retail is indeed changing, and change as I know it began in the 1990s when Corporate America (bigwigs in the ivory towers) began to poison the goose that laid the golden egg.

I used to work in retail for corporate America. I, and many of my colleagues, left not only the company we worked for, but also the retail profession altogether. They became accountants, radiology techs, nurses, and members of other professions.

10. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

We don’t have Guitar Center in Canada.

And yet, we somehow get through our days...

11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

It’s up to us to save them. Quick! Everyone take their favorite guitar to GC for setup!

Geo likes this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Oh no!

13. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

To big to fail.

GC is part of corporate control schemes so it will be endlessly bailed out and re-organized again and again even though music instrument retail storefronts are basically a lost cause.

14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

If you look at the entire supply base shortage, new and used merchandise, you'll see a bigger pattern. Also, if you look at all business closings, you'll see a bigger pattern. Its not being reported, but there are shortages everywhere, and businesses closing. You get one guess why..

drmordo and VonBonfire like this.
  15. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

One that was near me closed a while back. I'm not sure when. But I went to another recently and had an awful experience trying to buy a case. I stuck it out and bought it but it took forever and the only person interested in assisting me was a trainee who didn't know the sales system very well. Once I finally got the transaction done there was no paper in the printer for the receipt. I was so disgusted I sent an email to GC corporate. Their response was a tepid apology.

Geo likes this.
  16. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Awwwee....

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Any day now

18. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I was in the one in Portland, ME a couple weeks ago. It seemed busy enough, and there were at least 6 employees buzzing around. The wall of guitars was only about half filled; maybe the talk about a guitar "shortage" is true.

I got to try out a used teal blue PRS Silver Sky, it wads nice.

19. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The GC in Boise is almost fully restocked after going down in inventory for most of the past year. Lets see if I can remember who else has been short on stock over the past year. Hmmmmm...... seems there was Walmart, and Target, and all the grocery chains, and the drug stores, all the other music stores, sporting goods stores............

20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Corporate America itself began to change as early as the 80s. As for retail changing in the 90s, it was probably not much different than what was happening in other sectors.

The biggest change to retail in the past 10-15 years is Amazon and other retailers responding to Amazon. There's no stopping the evolution. Just as their was no stopping the demise of mom and pop retailers for clothing, appliance, groceries, pharmacies, hardware, etc... It's now happening in healthcare as well.

Fender, Gibson, Martin, Taylor, drum, keyboard, etc manufacturers don't want GC to fail Iplus the investment and capital firms don't want them to fail. However there is an end game. The first step is closing under performing stores and exiting certain markets. The storefronts have to change as well. I would add that the company above contribute to GC's woes with bloated product lines that occupy space and increase inventory costs. Try carrying all of Fender's series and the various guitar and basses within each of those series. Do the same for Gibson, Martin, Taylor, etc.

I don't think there's a "maybe". The reasons have been discussed broadly here many times.

Blue Bill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.