Guitar Center Holiday 2019 Catalog

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Nov 7, 2019 at 7:44 PM.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes!

I thought it was a goofy "pictures only" book. It's like they're trying to inspire non-musicians to fall in love with a photo and then go buy something.

If you haven't seen it the book is filled with glamourous photos of guitars and other gear and there are no details or descriptions. There may be one clever sentence (that says nothing) and a price. It's a goofy dreamy picture book. There is no useful info about anything. You can't tell if an acoustic guitar has a solid top or a plywood top or what the body is made of...….just pretty pictures that take half a page.

Perhaps a brilliant marketing person convinced them to model a music book after a Barbie doll catalog.

I'm sure that GC or MF get huge payments from manufacturers to subsidize the thousands and thousands of catalogs that they print. I thought this book was a waste of paper.

Just goofy.

2. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

I see people under 40 in GC all the time. Also, when I see people arriving or departing for lessons, they are often young women.

I think it's great to get more and different people involved in making music, and helping them feel welcome and supported.

That said, the article posted was kind of a word salad.

Toast likes this.
  3. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

More whining from old men about a changing world. Shocking.

PastorJay, Electric Warrior and Toast like this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Interesting.
    Maybe your area is part of the reason all the GC shoppers are older?
    The two I go to are in relatively lower income areas though in Portland ME there is certainly some money.
    Portsmouth NH has maybe more lower income people, but regardless of speculation I always see a mix of ages and really mostly shoppers with no gray or thinning hair. The majority I see is under 40. Kind of sad actually, seeing old guys alone checking out guitars their heroes played when they were still young.
    Maybe a lot I see are in the 25-40 range but plenty of dependent age teens and early 20s too.
    The point being that guitars are not all about old/ dead people who made classic Rock & Blues.

Sad if Luddite Island is a retirement or childless community!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 10:05 AM
    Toast likes this.
  5. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Young people here generally leave for college and never come back, so you have a point.

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. Bones

You're so cooool.

studio1087 likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

Bones may be a harsh critic but I'm pretty sure he's one of our younger members here!
    So, not old. I might be gettin' there but fighting it!
    The catalog is certainly an oddity or a curio.

8. Bones

I'm pretty old, but certainly not against any of the things discussed in the catalog . I just see a "holiday" gear catalog an odd place to dedicate so much space to gender fluidity and social justice. Silly me, I was expecting guitars and amps.

DADGAD and telemnemonics like this.
  9. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Must be trying to pull a Harley Davidson. Sell three times as much $$ in merch and mods as in actual off-the-line products.

10. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

I'm looking forward to the Guitar Center winter home decor guide and air travel specials.

11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

So you spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on things when you're given no details whatsoever?

Must be cool to be extremely wealthy and simple all at the same time.

Please buy my swamp.....it's going to dry up in 3 years and you can build a shopping mall there some day. It's a steal at 2 million for 14 acres.

This is all you need to know...….

[​IMG]

WI Swamp - $2,000,000.00

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 5:12 PM
  12. telemnemonics

I get the B&H catalog too and while that is a good example of strictly product representation, it never inspires me to shop for products.
    When I need a new product I shop online to find out what it the best value this month in whatever widget I need for the task at hand.
    I don't really see catalogs as a place I find out about new gear, and actually see them as pretty much totally useless.
    I guess there was a time when we had no access to the stuff in mailed out catalogs, and we even bought stuff out of catalogs.
    Does anybody buy stuff out of catalogs today?
    Serious question, what do mailed out catalogs actually do?

At the PO I was told I had to get a new bigger mailbox because the smaller one filled up fast and I didn't get the mail six days a week.
    Since then i joke around with whoever is there pulling five lbs of mail out of the box and throwing away 4.74lbs of it.
    Seems the majority of mail users don't want all those catalogs.
    So do catalogs actually work?

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They’re flailing about in icy water trying to stay afloat.

Some folks feel the need to stare at other’s misfortunes.

I choose to look away.

Plus, if I really think about it, I’ve never liked the smell of any Guitar Center. You know exactly what I’m talking about. They all smell the same. Too much outgassing.

ElJay370 and Bones like this.
  14. telemnemonics

Swamp ash!
    Where is that tonewood goldmine?
    Want want want!

ElJay370, DADGAD and studio1087 like this.
  15. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

No, not really. Just seeing the writing on the wall.

I think this catalog is attempting to do two things.

- Give non-musicians gift ideas for their musician friends. Your aunt or your brother-in-law or your buddy who doesn't play? Their money spends the same, so why not go after it?

- Appeal to a younger demographic... i.e. one that doesn't care to read another genuflecting interview with Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton, is interested in gear made after 1980, and doesn't get all frowny faced when they hear words like "gender fluidity". If you want your club to have new members, you can't make people feel unwelcome. The electric guitar world already has a crotchety, out-of-touch old guy stigma. Why feed into that?

The days of the hip corner guitar shop staffed by dudes who look like Molly Hatchet roadies are long gone. Retail stores have to sell a "lifestyle" and turn their stores into destinations. The market demands it. Otherwise, if all you want is specs and technical info, you can just head over to Reverb or Sweetwater.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 12:59 AM
    stevemc and PastorJay like this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

grandpa simpson.jpg

17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

They all come here I guess because the Athens, GA Guitar Center always has college age folks in it.

18. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

GC & SA are basically toy stores. Junk for kids; no real high end stuff for serious players. I only use them for strings,picks, etc.

19. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Just looked at the catalog.

It's marketing by appealing to values. We're in favor of fighting addiction (Clapton), supporting vets (Charlie Daniels), clean water (Jack Johnson), preserving the forests (Martin Guitars), etc.

Some of the articles might actually be interesting, And might appeal to some people.

20. Bones

If GC cared about values, their "gear card" wouldn't carry a 29% interest rate. They are just grasping at straws by trying to appear as 'woke" as possible all of a sudden.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.