Guitar Center Holiday 2019 Catalog

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Nov 7, 2019 at 7:44 PM.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Well you just solved the mystery of why a holiday catalog focuses on “lifestyle” accessories: gift giving. Few people buy guitars as gifts. Many people buy t-shirts.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  2. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

What the heck is "equity in the jazz field"? Maybe if she could play as good as Buddy Rich or Gene Krupa there would be more "equity"?

3. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nothing says "Merry Christmas" like a Joe Bonamassa Stackable Tin! :p

modavis99, DADGAD and Telecaster88 like this.
  4. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Nothing "wrong" with the ideas expressed, however this is like Subaru commercials that are all about puppies and good vibes and never once mention the specs of the vehicle. If I want to get "woke", a GC catalog isn't the resource that I am going to use.

160 pages of glossy paper filled with social commentary and not one electric bass, not one tube amp, only one telecaster, hardly any guitars at all. Lots of environmental commentary about saving the world. If they want to save to world, start with not sending out millions of paper catalogs that most people will throw in the trash.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 6:26 AM
  5. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I doubt they thought you were crazy, they probably just assumed you were a jerk. It’s not the kid making minimum wage’s fault that they don’t have your strings. They probably don’t have any say in GC’s corporate policies and they probably don’t care about the good olde days either.

I like GC for what it is. Just like I go to Target or Wal-Mart.

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Employee thinking... "Uhhhhhhhh!!! This old Boomer's ranting is keeping me from Snapchatting with my bros."

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  7. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Dennis Chambers shoes for $129???
    He never even played in the NBA 25383A09-341C-415B-8794-D7D4365D229C.png

8. reactor99

reactor99 TDPRI Member

I'm also mystified as to what they were thinking. An expensively produced catalog that didn't have a lot of merchandise in it, but did have quite a bit of content that we can't discuss here (not religion).
    [Edit: I'm glad there's no politics here, didn't mean that to sound like a complaint]

Bones likes this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

No mystery, they're marketing to women, particularly trying to appeal to an upscale demographic who are likely to buy expensive lifestyle tchotchkes for themselves or family members.

10. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

That piece had to be millions of $$$ to print and mail. I fanned through it in 10 seconds and tossed it.

DADGAD likes this.
  11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I think you nailed it, I was a jerk, and admittedly have always been bitter about the existence of GC. AND a hypocrite, as I was in not one, but 2 stores!

stevemc likes this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I probably came off like an old jerk, which maybe I am sometimes.

13. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Guitar Center is still in business? Tick tock...

Skydog1010 likes this.
  14. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Saw them, don't read it, my wife and I don't watch it on TV shows eventhough it is becoming quite pervasive, our grandchildren don't want to watch or see it either.

I share your concern. I also thought that addressing it on here was not something I was led to do. I shy away from social issues on forums I like to stay on.

15. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Only thing I remember seeing before it went into the recycle bin was the two page spread with several Acoustisonic Telecasters'.

Rest was garbage.

We all have opinions.

16. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I won't get into the political aspect of where America's youth stand at present. I do think that retailers need to appeal to a younger demographic if they want to survive, particularly in the music industry. In a polarized media environment there is going to be polarized marketing. The stupidity of GC is in assuming that younger people won't be pissed off over an unnecessary paper catalogue. Most people, particularly youth, get their info online. In my opinion, if they're going to send out mailers, they should have the marketing savvy to only have content in the catalogue that appeals to a more conservative boomer generation that consumes such crap. Maybe some articles on addressing arthritis and playing technique and that sort of thing.

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Woody Guthrie!
    What's not to like?
    Page 106 for anyone who missed him.

Seems the youth of today have little or at least less interest in learning to play guitar, or if they do play they have less opportunity to play in the kid community because kids have less garage bands than when we were kids.

So making music culture look attractive is as important as making Squier Strats look attractive!

I throw away my GC catalogs but this one has stayed around for a few days so far.

18. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

If you want to know what's going on in terms of the musical zeitgeist around the world, then this might shed a little light on things. The scary aspect of those lists for me is that I don't know any of the songs on any of the lists :). I've been chordifying "Touch Of Grey" by the Grateful Dead lately because it's such a fun strum.

https://chordify.net/pages/the-most...-and-i-heathers-the-musical-and-charlie-dore/

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I saw Terri Lyne Carrington live years ago when it was still surprising to see an awesome female drummer.
    I haven't followed her career and didn't know she won a grammy for best instrumental Jazz album.
    IDK, maybe she can play as good as Buddy Rich or Gene Krupa?
    I guess equity suggests a deep investment?
    Jazz drummers may be an acquired taste, but...

If not for the catalog and this thread I wouldn't have been reminded because I just don't follow modern Jazz music today.

20. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

LOL, I have seldom seen anyone under 40 years old in a Guitar Center or Sam Ash.

Toast likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.