1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Guitar Center guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by NealVossy, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

GREAT PIC!!!!

Thanks for the warning.

2. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I stopped going to GC long ago.
    I feel good driving right by one and not looking back.

Nothing is ever in tune - shows how much they care.
    With all the people they employ one guy should be doing every Instrument with easy reach of the floor - that should be someone's job - like painting a ship; You finish and You begin again. Period. No excuses. Common sense.

"Excuse me, can I tune that for You?"
    I mean it's like a waiter asking what You'd like to drink before You place Your order. It's good business. Period. Common sense.

You wanna be the best?
    Walk the Walk.

3. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Never had a problem with that (use EB 9-46) but I can't see how you can bend a step and a half with vibrato without tuning down a step to lessen the tension, and I'm no weakling, I can assure you. IMHO It's almost physically impossible and/or will wear out your tendons and finger joints over time. If you just strum rhythm chords, yes -- use 11s or 12s. But for all around playing with solos in standard pitch? I just can't see why not to use 9s, or 10s.

4. Ash Telecaster

The thing that bothers me most aboput GC is, at least at the GC in my area, they are piping out loud death all over the store. It makes it impossible to demo an instrument. It's an invitation to get frustrated and leave.

Secondly they tend to hire kids who don't know squat about the instruments and playing other than to make sinister faces while they try to use you as a captive audience for showing off their lack of chops. I understand the need for cheap labor but if they would just set some standards for how to conduct a sale it would make things much better.

I'll admit that I look a lot before I buy and that can be frustrating to commissioned sales people but if they want my business they will foster that "I gotta have it" built into my, and most peoples, psyche.

5. BillyC

BillyC Tele-Meister

I use 9's on 25.5" scale and 10's on 24.75" scale. BB king uses 8's.

6. smoke

smoke Tele-Meister

I assumed the OP has been banned from TGP and is looking for a new place to make friends?:rolleyes:

7. Ash Telecaster

Is it against the rules to dis GC?

8. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

I run (.9, .11, .16) D'addarios for my E, B, G strings and (.28, .38, .48) David Gilmour Blues for my D, A, E strings. Do I have to worry about a latent Bi thing eventually happening to me?, ("not that there is anything wrong with that".) Plus I have a fear of clowns, ("not that there is anything wrong with that".)
    I also bought an 06' MIM Demo floor Tele at GC for $250. I will never sell this guitar! It did need to be set up and I put some "Keystones" in it but it blows away my Gibson RD Artist by a long shot.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  9. pickinpete

pickinpete Tele-Meister

I use 9's on my deluxe nashville and have never broken a string. Stays in tune just fine, and I like to play alot of bendy stretchy twangy stuff. Sounds like a technique issue with 9 gauge hating.

10. tboy

tboy Friend of Leo's

+1 for 9's. But lately, I've gone 9.5's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.