Guitar Center Fiasco

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Orpingtons, May 27, 2019.

1. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

So, I have to let this off my chest.

I checked with guitar center to see if they had tuners for my Tele. I checked their web site and they said they had them in stock at my local store, then I called the place just to make sure, they confirmed the fact that they had them.

When I got there, the "genius" store guy told me to talk to the tech because he wasn't sure if the tuners I wanted were a fit for a Fender, even when they said "Fender" on the package. I started to get upset.... Anyway, the "tech" said he had them, but wanted to put them in himself. I said I knew how to do that but he refused to sell them to me. He wanted $80 just to put them in, plus the price of the tuners.

I just wanted to buy a part, something that most YouTube people do as a routine upgrade. But the guy wanted to make some easy money out of me.

I still don't know why I go to Guitar Center, it's just an aggravating waste of time!

Hiker, Straydogger, drewcp and 8 others like this.
  2. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

He refused to sell merchandise? What an idiot. If this GC is your local go-to for guitar stuff, I'd call a manager and let them know you were refused merchandise you were previously told was available. Seems lame to go whining to Mr Manager, but better in the long run if it keeps your nearest gear joint running a little better.

DrPepper, Hiker, Straydogger and 13 others like this.
  3. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I don't understand.....I thought Guitar Center had gone out of business? :)))
    This is why I buy from Amazon, Ebay, Musician's Friend,......in fact, anyone EXCEPT GC.....

5. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

Not only that, I had to stand in line to be treated like trash but he also treated like trash the kid who was in front of me. That's the same guitar center I called a couple years ago to see if they had EL84s and the guy didn't know what I was talking about. I guess it's my fault for going back there.

8barlouie, Clifton C, drewcp and 3 others like this.
  6. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

Well, it's a tough spot, man. Guitar Center is pretty much standardized trash as far as the service goes, but they also won't get any better if people just maintain the attitude of "well, it's GC... Of course it's bad" and don't try to fix it. And having one nearby IS awesome, no matter what anybody says. The huge inventory on hand to try tons of different things out is an amazing resource and they can sometimes have really decent sales.

Maybe see if a polite call to management can help rectify it. If the issue stays just as bad, then forget it and go somewhere else for anything other than trying something new out.

7. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I've had similar problems, and let the manager know right then. In both cases the manager told me that it was store policy to have their tech handle the installation. (It was a TOM bridge). In the other case it was a set screw for a tuner. Same response from management. In both cases, Stew-Mack handled the situation with a quick call.
    While I still shop there, I know better than to get anywhere close to the repair room.

8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz TDPRI Member

Me an tech boy woulda had a problem . He'd a probably got his feelings hurt :lol::twisted::confused:

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I would have made one heck of a scene, especially if I came in after lots of coffee. I know better than to even get close to a GC repair station, but this would have done me in. Too bad, because I usually have a good experience in GCs over the years.

Torren61 likes this.
  10. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

It's always an adventure going to GC you never know what kind of clowns you'll get to see. I once saw three guys collapse a display. They were all laughing about it with customers in the store to the point one of them fell backwards over an amp:eek::eek:

11. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

I dunno, I usually have pretty good luck at my local Guitar Centers. (There are three of them within a reasonable drive.) I can’t imagine any of them refusing to sell me a part unless their tech put it in. That’s just ridiculous, and I wouldn’t stand for it.

savofenno and Torren61 like this.
  12. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

MF is GC unless that has changed recently.

DougM, drewcp, telemnemonics and 4 others like this.
  13. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

Guitar Center had the VOX Mini Superbeetle Union Jack in there sale brochure this weekend. I went in and they were very friendly but didn’t have the Union Jack one in stock. They set the one up they had so I could play it and left me alone while I did. They ordered the Union Jack one and are having it sent to my house while giving me the 15% off on the back of the sale add and no shipping. I had a great experience and the employees were knowledgeable.

I guess opinions vary greatly. I actually would prefer they stay in business because they sell a lot of equipment for the different companies in the guitar and amp business. That helps all of us. I do agree you had a bad experience but I think it was not good business and you should have talked to someone. Your Guitar Center will close if they continue to treat customers that way.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  14. CLewisW

CLewisW TDPRI Member

I dread going to my local GC. It's always something. I only go there if I have to. Here's just one of my experiences: Before I had experience working on my own rig I asked a question about speaker Ohms and impedances. Stupid me. The guy working in the guitar section proceeds to tell me... IDK, I've been a keyboard player for over 20 years... I won't get into the employee jam session I witnessed going on behind the counter with customers in store, needing assistance. WTH is that? Incompetence, every time, guaranteed. That should be their slogan

Dismalhead and Torren61 like this.
  15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Skip the manager. In my experience, the fastest way to get action is to submit your complaint/experience here, concisely and respectfully:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/pages/store-feedback

It will be routed to the manager's manager, who will call the manager, who will contact you. You are likely to get a phone call if you provide your number in the form.

16. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

We have a number of good independent shops in the area as well. There are local alternatives to GC, just an FYI

nojazzhere and Torren61 like this.
  17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I make a point of not going to GC since they treated me bad the first time I went in one back in the '70's in California. But my bass player and I were having lunch near our local one, so we went in. We were treated like rock stars and the staff couldn't have been friendlier. They didn't hover over us when we looked around and seemed happy enough that we bought something simple like strings or a patch cord. Good experience. I still shop the local M&P and Music Go Round first. But it was good to have a decent experience at GC.

Torren61 likes this.
  18. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow, ask him what kind of car he drives and tell you work installing automotive glass and will give him a discount on 3 of his 4 broken windows....

What a douche...

thegreatshocka and william tele like this.
  19. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

If I buy GC it’s for gear only online looking for a specific piece. I have it delivered to the store for inspection. I’ve refused one guitar due to shipping damage. If I need parts I’ll go look to see if it’s on display and what I need. They played the in house install once with me. I told them of their heritage, Destiny, and sexual habits with farm animals. Manager came up wondering why I was shouting at the tech. Told him the same thing at the top of my lungs. Turned about and walked out before he could call the cops. A month later, I’d found a Squire Std Tele I wanted, had it shipped to said store they called when it arrived. Should have seen the face of the manager when I walked in, called on the Tele opened it up, give it the once over left the mess on the counter, grabbed the receipt and walked out. I still go back on occasion to torment them.

20. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

$80 to install some tuners?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.