Guitar Center Clearance sale Fender Excelsior for......

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dtermined2play, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

I think you have bigger problems if a water pipe bursts on stage. Unless your doing an acoustic show with no PA.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. PaulStrattele

PaulStrattele Tele-Holic

Love some SOS

3. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

I've been pretty impressed with the Jet City stuff too. Stupid deal of the day on this one looks like a lot of amp for the money(349.00), tons of clean headroom, killer drive channel, good construction, look at the specs:

Channels: Normal and Overdrive, foot-switchable with included footswitch
    Controls: Normal and Overdrive Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, Normal and Overdrive Masters, Presence
    Effects Loop: Tube-Buffered Serial
    Footswitch: Normal/Overdrive channel footswitch, included
    Tubes: 5 x 12AX7 Preamp / 2 x 6L6 Power
    Cabinetry: Multi-ply, void-free hardwood
    Chassis: 16 gauge, cold-rolled steel
    Output Power: 50 watts into 16 ohm or 2 x 8 ohm speaker outputs
    Input Power: Multi-tapped power transformer at 100V/120V/220V/240V and standard IEC connector
    DIMS (WxDxH): 9.5″ x 9.5″ x 25″
    Weight: 40lb.

4. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

I bounced around the country and Canada for 20 years....never had a cabinet fall apart or even had a chunk taken out. Never had a beer spill on amp because I didn't put drinks on them....nobody ever threw a beer at me ...just lucky I guess, especially with all the dives mixed in. Anybody here ever play at Bruce's Bar in Severence, Colorado? There's bullet holes through the wall behind the stage. Those were from the owner.

There were puddles on the floor from all the rain that came through the holes in the roof. People danced around the 5 gallon buckets on the dancefloor. Somehow, my equipment survived. :eek:

I used mostly Peavey gear, an Acoustic cabinet, Cerwin Vega and Kustom mixed in for a while, the other guys used mostly Fenders and Marshall.....I can't think of a single incident that something got damaged. There were times I worked with people that had electrical problems......I had a neck warp on an expensive instrument in Grand Forks, North Dakota in 1979, but that's not what we're talking about. (There wasn't much of a selection for lefty's in Grand Forks.......as in nothing)

These days I don't think MDF material properly covered would be a problem. I'd be far more concerned about a nice Mesa Boogie or a vintage Fender amp getting damaged.

I treat my stuff like a newborn baby. Just throw it in the back of a truck...j/k

If it's a good sounding amp, because it's made with MDF "wood" is not a game breaker for me. I'd imagine I wouldn't pay a whole lot for it anyway.

Important tip (this just in....breaking news story......):
    Take good care of your stuff, especially if you do it for a living.

I'm probably weird this way, but I was more worried about the performance than I was about my cabinets falling apart.

Lets see a show of hands for all those who've had their MDF cabinets take a dump....

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  5. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

@ Jim Dep....."I was more worried about the performance than I was about my cabinets falling apart."

Good points...and a good funny for the morning.

The cab is heavy, but well covered. I bought mine used and it had taken a hit in one of the top corners. Mashed in by something sharp and cut the vinyl. I filled the dent w/ putty and glued the vinyl back and you can't see it. If I had to carry it around alot I might look into a pine cabinet, but it doesn't move much.

You're in Colorado, I see..I heard on Bob and Tom this am that the Super Bowl teams are both from states where pot is legal...what that means..?...but they are calling it the
    Super (sound of inhaling) "Bowl"...lol...rock on

6. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

The FenEx is tough. I gig with it exclusively and it holds up. I've played all over the Tri-State area from Asbury Park to Manhattan without incident.

7. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

LOL, Yeah my wife showed me that one.....I saw another one where somebody showed a pic of the border between the New Mexico and Colorado. From New Mexico looking north, all you see is this fog bank of pot smoke.......:eek:

Now we have people driving around stoned and texting at the same time.

Lots of cars in ditches, trees knocked down, cars plowing into people's front porches.....it ain't pretty........and that's just between my house and the grocery store.

8. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

There we have it. I would expect to see many posts like this one and very few concerning how many lives were ruined by a MDF made cabinet taking the big dump.

9. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Tele-Meister

A friend of mine acquired a Blues Deluxe from GC very cheap that had been dropped and one corner of the cabinet crumbled where the chassis attaches near the control cutout. I removed the chassis, peeled the tweed back, made a couple of dams out of plastic and filled the area with resin and chopped glass fiber, with a few screws to anchor the repair. After I shaped it I reattached the tweed and it looked pretty serviceable. It held up well.

It had been substantially damaged though and I figure any amp would have sustained similar battle damage.

10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Solid wood and plywood cabinets won't crumble. In most cases there may be a dent at the point of impact, but they won't disintegrate like MDF and particleboard can. Also, the better quality cabinets will have box joints or dovetails holding them together, which is not possible with MDF and particleboard, so those will always be butt joints, sometimes with reinforcing cleats and sometimes without.

BTW, I'm not knocking any construction materials or techniques, just pointing out the differences.

11. downhomedesign

downhomedesign TDPRI Member

Some like chocolate - others vanilla.
    I'm having a blast with this amp.
    I took it to a parlor jam the other night.
    We kicked it old school, cramming a cheap casio keyboard, microphone, and guitar into it. The Excelsior handled it all with aplomb, over drums.
    Just good, dirty fun.

12. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

And at the end of the day, for many of us, that's all that really matters.

13. Frodebro

That's exactly it. We're not using this stuff to perform open-heart surgery, it's just a way to make noise and have a good time.

14. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

I agree with you 100%. My concern would be that if I were carting around a cabinet with box joints or dovetails, just like expensive fine furniture, I'd be worried about getting it scratched up. Most likely that cab would cost some bucks and probably worth every penny.....but...do you really want that out on the road?

I remember when we were lugging around a Leslie 147 a few decades ago. The grain of the wood was beautiful to look at and sounded incredible. Our organist was stressed everytime we moved it, I think we all were. Not too many other options for Leslies' back then, unless it was homemade....or just paint it black. :)

15. Frodebro

Many of those better-jointed cabinets are still covered in tolex, so it's not like you're hauling around a hardwood Boogie.

16. wosinek

wosinek TDPRI Member

Just got my brown $199 standard Excelsior from GC Dallas. the other color models now have the better speaker per the salespeople. i wanted to the smaller magnet for now.
    Played it in the Booth and decided thats what i wanted.. got it home and it sounded even better. Will take some tweaking but what a perfect platform to make your own personalized amp... cant buy the parts for that price. would probably only do tone pot mod but may wait a while. I own 68bassman w 2x12 Fender cabinet and its a lot darker
    than this amp but now I have something I can play at home and smaller venues.

17. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

To respond to some of the above posts- yes, I was impressed with the build quality of the Excelsior. Still am. It's light-years ahead of a Pro Jr. As far as mods all I did was swap to higher quality caps and classic Fender circuit values in a few spots. Didn't help. As to the cab and speaker, when I ran the Excelsior into my 5E3 size pine cab with a single 10" speaker it had loads more bass and better tone. Much fuller. I even tried a WGS G15C and it got louder but still sounded thin.

18. figaro

figaro Tele-Meister

Exactly, and you will always be able to sell it for that. How many amps sell used for their new price?

19. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Here's an ad off Weber's home page for Excelsior's and Weber speakers. I'll bet this upgrade would sound good.

http://www.tedweber.com/

Attached Files:

20. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

Talk about cab's exploding, I had the boys in the big brown trucks us a Mesa Boogie for road bowling and guess what that high dollar plywood cab shattered in a bunch of pieces.

Then I had to fight them for a month to get reimbursed ((( Not Cool ))) !

point is even a good lap jointed piece of birch plywood can only take so much.
    However I will say a bunch of glue ups and clamps did get that amp back up and running !
    I had an original Excelsior for a while and they are pretty cool for the price, now I wish I still had it, I found a sweet old 15 I had pulled from either an old Traynor or Fender 2x15 that I'm bet'n would sweeten it up pretty good !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.